PDA

View Full Version : The Seca II Project Begins

The Big Spank Daddy
March 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cindy has progressed to the point where "I think" she is at the "safe" limits of what the Seca 550 is capable of. It is clear she is struggling keeping up with the 550 passing cars and with stiff head winds. It is apparent that it is not lack of skill, but lack of better equipment.

She seems truely excited that I'm ready to start on it. When we got home from todays SMR she helped me clear a spot for it in the garage and helped me get it off the back porch and in it's designated location in the garage.

Before when she sat on it and tried it out for size, all she did was complain. At that time she had not done the MSF course and had no "seat" time. Now with 3K miles on the Seca 550 she has a better understanding of what is realistic.

My first problem is to get it running. It will start and run, but dies or totally looses power when you accelerate. Carbs need gone through for sure. The other deal is the plug wires. They are definitely bad, but are an integral part of the coil, $129 each. The coils are fine, just the wires are bad. I'm going to attempt removing the old wire from the coils, then possibly use Jacobs Electronics wires and sealer to mate them back to the coil assemblies.

Then the forks, steering head, tank cleaning, chain and sprockets, tires, rear suspension and finally paint.

I'll see if I can get some pics posted.

Oskar_Z28
March 14th, 2005, 07:32 AM
You might talk to Charles about his fine paintjob smile.gif .

Oh, talking about painting. Can I stop by sometimes and use your sand blaster to blast calipers for my car? I'm pimping it out and need to paint those bad boys. smile.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
March 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Sure, anytime. just call first to make sure I'm home.

Ivan
March 14th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Hey Chris,
I have a set of good coils with integral wires that i took off my 83 Gpz, would these be of any help to you? Willing to let them go cheap.

Chatterbox
March 15th, 2005, 04:26 PM
This is what she looked like when Jeff first bought her:

http://i137.exs.cx/img137/5893/varsview3ho.jpg

This is what she looks like right now:

http://i137.exs.cx/img137/3647/011804rsandfront6ii.jpg

CalamariKid
March 15th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Oskar_Z28:
You might talk to Charles about his fine paintjob smile.gif . har, har, hardee, har, har. You just don't appreciate the fine qualities and subtle beauty of a true stealth paintjob. A paintjob like that is truly priceless.

Ivan
March 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Hey Chris,
Left you a message on the cell, call me when you get a chance.

San Antone RR
March 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Spank,

I have an '81 XS1100 Midnight Special that had the same coil issue. This article might help. Took me about 45 min/coil to do mine.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=b1a7f95152ae6d9f2c67b23f0d311d35&threadid=137

The Big Spank Daddy
March 20th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Ivan. my bad, I typed the wrong phone number.

Steve, thanks for that link. I will give that trick a try.

Ivan, if that doesn't work I'll get back to you. Thanks guys for helping out.