PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Meeting- This Saturday

Paul Sonderfan
November 30th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Just a reminder to everyone; Hickory Hollow on Heights Blvd.(in the Heights)11:00am. The weather should be good, so I don't want to hear any excuses! smile.gif
Any ideas for new business to cover?
Also, can we PLEASE get some officers to show up for this meeting? Tommy? Scott? Charles?

VFRacer-R
November 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Working Saturday.

Schreck
November 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I won't be working Saturday so you can expect me there Paul. Christmas party is in question. :confused:

CalamariKid
December 1st, 2004, 01:10 PM
Sorry Paul, I warned everyone that I would not be able to make Saturday afternoon meetings. This Saturday it is cub scout activities and watching my daughter do a dance recital at the Galleria.

I would be in favor of moving the meeting to a weekday evening. Just a thought.

VFRacer-R
December 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Charles Nevle:
I would be in favor of moving the meeting to a weekday evening. Just a thought. I am in favor of doing things on my schedule! :D

Sorry Charles, just ribbing you.

I really am in favor of doing things on my schedule though... :D :D

AaronEustace
December 1st, 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
I am in favor of doing things on my schedule! :D

Sorry Charles, just ribbing you.

I really am in favor of doing things on my schedule though... :D :D Gimme a sec to put on my Nomex...

I say we dissolve the Houston Chapter but leave up the website. Who needs to spend $25 a year to post on a message board? Not to mention the time and hassle involved for the officers. People can post up where to ride and go ride. Where to meet and go meet. No big Hubbabaloo. I personally think 'Dues' and all the other stuff are an obstacle keeping more folks from joining.

Just an Idea, flame away...

Paul Sonderfan
December 1st, 2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Tommy; I'm so proud of you. tongue.gif
Seriously, I don't personally see any reason it CAN'T be done on a weekday evening. Anyone want to weigh in on this? Scott, Chris, Randy, Tommy???

Schreck
December 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM
Gimme a break!!!!! Do it on the weekday then but let's get it done. When and what time?

Paul Sonderfan
December 1st, 2004, 07:28 PM
Aaron, I think $25 is a fairly insignificant amount per year, however it's WAY too much if there's no value derived from that membership. If we're not going to be a "club" and act like one, then there's not much value there, other than being able to access the BBS. I'm perfectly amenable to having meetings on weekday evenings OR on Saturday, but I would like some feedback from the members. I'm ok with whatever the general consensus is; I made the committment to be an officer for the year and I intend to stand by it. Anyone else?

VKlohn
December 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
I am traveling a lot and therefore weekends work best for me. I also have family and other commitments and understand conflicting priorities. Finding a good balance is always a challenge for all of us.

I will try to join the Saturday meeting (Paul, are we riding together?).
Meeting other club members is always fun, I learn quite a bit and believe that this is time well spent.
As far as the $25 is concerned - that is less than 0.84% of my annual riding budget ..... ;)

The Big Spank Daddy
December 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Hmmmmm, this subject came up at the meet with the DFW guys in Nacogdoches this past Saturday.

As far as the meeting place, it was decided on because

1) It was basicaly centrally located
2) They are motorcycle friendly and willing to reserve us a spot.
3) Everyone seemed to be happy with it.

As for the date
1) No one could agree on a day and time so basicly I picked one.
2) As for the weekday thing, at the time everyone was against it because they.
a. Did not want to fight traffic to get there
b. Had family commitments that conflicted
c. Many guys travel and were out of town during the week.
d. were concerned about being tired after work and did not want to the hassle of going to the meeting anf getting home late.

The DFW guys said they typically have about 30 guys show up on a week night. They have about 100 members, so thats about 30% showing up during the week. As for us, we typically have 6 to 8. So thats about 25-30% of our membership.

As for me. I could care less when, where or what time. I'll do what I can to make it.

T Jones
December 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Well, isn't this ironic? First you guys wouldn't let me join for 6 months (yes, it really took that long!!). Then I go ahead and pay my dues all the way through 2005. Then the first thing I read as a registered member is all this talk about dissolving the Houston chapter..... :rolleyes:

Well, at least I got a deal on my 2005 dues - only $24 tongue.gif

Anyway, hope to hook up with you guys on Sunday, weather permitting.

Pete
December 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM
Todd, the Houston chapter is NOT being dissolved. Also you've had access to post for a long time but just didn't till today? I had forwarded your login name and password a couple times months ago. Anyhow glad to see you got the posting thing sorted.

I'm 100% in for a weekday meeting time. That way the weekends are freed up and its alot cooler at night in the summertime.

VFRacer-R
December 1st, 2004, 11:52 PM
It matters not to me. I have a schedule unlike any of the rest of the membership, and weekends or weekdays is a crap shoot. I work every third day, and I have 2 side jobs to go with it- weekend, weekday, no matter.

As for the dues and stuff- I think we should only collect the due we need for the website upkeep or whatever Jess needs + whatever necessities the IRS has. The rest of the money should be spent, and on whatever. Buy the store's supply of t-shirts and patches to be given out at meetings and SMRs, buy a gift certificate and draw from a hat at an SMR for the winner(s).
Do something, some members act like if we spend the money we have, the chapter will die or something- just spend it.

[ December 01, 2004, 23:59: Message edited by: Tommyboy ]

Chatterbox
December 2nd, 2004, 06:50 AM
I say we dissolve the Houston Chapter but leave up the website. Who needs to spend $25 a year to post on a message board? Paying $24 annual dues is what gives you the privilege of posting on this BBS. This website may "belong" to the TSBA, but it is hosted by a single TSBA member. Without him, there would be no website.

I think $24 ($2 per month) is a very small price to pay considering the friends Chris and I have made, the adventures we've had, and all the roads we have explored by learning of them through fellow riders. Even with all the drama and BS that has happened in the past, this has been a very good experience and has enriched our lives.

As far as changing the meeting day, go for it. There's always going to be people that are not happy and will complain no matter what you do - but those people are generally the ones that very rarely participate in club activities. The majority of the members' vote should be the deciding factor in choosing the best meeting day, time, location for the monthly meetings.

To support Tony, if there is going to be a TSBA Holiday Celebration, a date needs to be set and plans made/posted. It's already December! :eek:

Just my 2 cents. :D

Brian Montgomery
December 2nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
If you do decide to do it on a weekday, you will more than likely have to find a different place to do it at than Hickory Hollow. Reason being that they have the areas reserved for the other clubs to meet there. Saturday was chosen due to these other clubs. Not to mention that they also have live music playing on other nights.

There was a lot of discussion on this topic 2 years ago. That is why it was decided to set it up the first Saturday of the month @ Hickory hollow.

On another note, we did have meetings on the weekdays before Hickory hollow and participation was minimal...say 4-5 people tops...but on Saturdays, we have had upwards of 15 people.

I say we have it at lunchtime during the SMR. I also feel that it would represent the active club members best.

As for Aarons post on the dues thing...there is a website in Houston that does just that. It is called Houston Sportbike Network. Or www.houstonsportbikenetwork.com (http://www.houstonsportbikenetwork.com)
It is a novel concept but people don't have to join for the rides. They know where we meet every Sunday and they can meet up there if they want to. They choose not to.
The TSBA is a closer net of people. And paying dues gives the members a better attitude about the club in general as far as participation. Now I am not saying that the HSN group is bad, but they are different. Different in being that they don't have normal rides and meetup times etc. And for some that can be a hastle. I personally like the structured way of things that we do here.

[ December 02, 2004, 06:58: Message edited by: Brian Montgomery ]

AaronEustace
December 2nd, 2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Chatterbox:
yadda, yadda, yadda You could have had all the above life-enriching experiences without having to pay for the privilege. Look, everybody complains about not being able to attract new members and dwindling SMR attendance. It's this very structure and elitist posture that's causing it. $24 covers a lot more than the maintenance of this website. How about a t-shirt, stickers, some pins something to entice new members? Screw the raffles, not everyone benefits.

Here's an Idea: $24 gets you:
1.posting rights (no matter how long, monotonous or boring the post may be :rolleyes: )
2.Free T-shirt to proudly display our 'colors'
3.Route maps
4.Free use of member tire-changing facilities
5.List of emergency contacts
6.E-mail updates for group rides, get-togethers and IBI's

Let's package this thing and make it attractive to noobs.

[ December 02, 2004, 09:38: Message edited by: wd40oz ]

Paul Sonderfan
December 2nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by wd40oz:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chatterbox:
yadda, yadda, yadda You could have had all the above life-enriching experiences without having to pay for the privilege. Look, everybody complains about not being able to attract new members and dwindling SMR attendance. It's this very structure and elitist posture that's causing it. $24 covers a lot more than the maintenance of this website. How about a t-shirt, stickers, some pins something to entice new members? Screw the raffles, not everyone benefits.

Here's an Idea: $24 gets you:
1.posting rights (no matter how long, monotonous or boring the post may be :rolleyes: )
2.Free T-shirt to proudly display our 'colors'
3.Route maps
4.Free use of member tire-changing facilities
5.List of emergency contacts
6.E-mail updates for group rides, get-togethers and IBI's

Let's package this thing and make it attractive to noobs. </font>[/QUOTE]Gee, this sounds like a starting point for THIS Saturday's meeting at the usual place.
Maybe someone (Chris, Cindy) that's more computer savvy than me can post a poll concerning alternative meeting times and places. That will give us a 2nd thing to discuss on Sat.

VFRacer-R
December 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Paul Sonderfan:

Maybe someone (Chris, Cindy) that's more computer savvy than me can post a poll concerning alternative meeting times and places. See the little button next to "Post reply" at the top of the page? :D

Who loves ya baby?

Schreck
December 2nd, 2004, 07:21 PM
I'd spend $50.00 a year to be a member of the club. TSBA has more to offer than any club in TEXAS but you have to participate to understand.
Some of you will never get the point I'm trying to make because your selfish to do your part. Get of your ARSE and play your part...Get involved or go somewhere else....This message is for those of you who are not involved with what this club really stands for, understand.

VFRacer-R
December 2nd, 2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Scarface:

Some of you will never get the point I'm trying to make because your selfish to do your part. Get of your ARSE and play your part...Get involved or go somewhere else....This message is for those of you who are not involved with what this club really stands for, understand. Well said?

Schreck
December 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarface:

Well said? </font>[/QUOTE]Tommy you remind me of the guy up in Conroe everyone use tu talk tu on-line.......What ever happened to that guy that rode them Buells? Probley on the HSN Board chatting eh.....

VFRacer-R
December 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tommyboy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarface:

Well said? </font>[/QUOTE]Tommy you remind me of the guy up in Conroe everyone use tu talk tu on-line.......What ever happened to that guy that rode them Buells? Probley on the HSN Board chatting eh..... </font>[/QUOTE]Well my non-spelling-riding efficienado, how do I remind you of him? Enlighten me.

Schreck
December 3rd, 2004, 12:00 AM
We will pick up on this tomorrow and Daniel Son & the enlightenment will begin.....Go to bed!

Christmas Party, Christmas Party, :D

AaronEustace
December 3rd, 2004, 06:52 AM
I'd spend $50.00 a year to be a member of the club. TSBA has more to offer than any club in TEXAS but you have to participate to understand.
Some of you will never get the point I'm trying to make because your selfish to do your part. Get of your ARSE and play your part...Get involved or go somewhere else....This message is for those of you who are not involved with what this club really stands for, understand. Not really certain if this was directed at me; but since I seem to be the 'briar bush' in this thread allow me to retort... I feel I do my part by attending SMRs, wrench-fests, building the tire-changing equipment and offering the services to any TSBA'er, hosting a mini-wrench fest which was fun as he11, making a special trip to 949 to photograph and post that wicked left-hander that catches so many people out, etc... Can I do more? sure, but I'm definitely no freeloader.

Warren White
December 3rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Steve (the buell guy) is still alive. He actually came by my house the other day. But I don't think he joined back up this year. I have not seen a post from him here in a long long time.

Chatterbox
December 3rd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Just to be clear, are these the things on the meeting agenda for tomorrow?

1. Possibility of changing meeting time/day/location (any or all).

2. Whether or not there will be a Holiday Celebration.

3. What exactly does TSBA offer for $24 annual dues.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on the topics. Thanks.

[ December 03, 2004, 14:38: Message edited by: Chatterbox ]

brianstephenson
December 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!

Warren White
December 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Brian S. are you comming tomorrow. I would like to check out you 11 and see how simular it is to mine.

Brian Montgomery
December 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Don't forget about collecting dues for this up coming year. You might want to add that to the agenda.

T Jones
December 3rd, 2004, 07:43 PM
For whatever it's worth, as one of the noobs that some folks seem to be worried about attacting into the group
1) I've been on a few rides with both the TSBA and HSN and much prefer the low key, no BS, good Pace TSBA rides (plus the fact that Chris has a radar detector)
2) Happy to spend $24/yr for dues. All the ideas that folks have identified in this thread for spending dues money seem appropriate to me. Would be happy to support any of them.
3) My preference would be to have the Monthly Meetings on weekdays. However, I also think that another good alternative would be during lunch on one of the SMRs, as someone mentioned above.

Anyway - just some unsolicited input from an outsider

Pete - Yes you did send me a login name and password when I first registered back in May. However, to this day I still get the same ole "Although you have registered, your registration has not yet been approved........" I eventually just re-registered under a different name and here I am. Obviously not a big deal, since I did not pursue it very vigorously (other than some tongue-and-cheek pestering of Chris and Cindy)

Looking forward to riding with the group again.

StuartR
December 3rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
I would like to attend this months meeting but I will be meeting with my realtor to prepare to sell my house. I will be looking to move to the north or central Houston to reduce my commute to my new office located at the Belt and Hardy.

I think trying to hold the monthly meeting over lunch on an SMR is a novel idea that should be considered. The only problem I see is if the weather is crap, no will want to cage it to any distant location. It would have to be held closer in town after the SMR and that would really cut into a Sunday.

Have fun at the meeting and please keep us TU busy folks informed on the topics! smile.gif

Pete
December 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Chatterbox:
Just to be clear, are these the things on the meeting agenda for tomorrow?

1. Possibility of changing meeting time/day/location (any or all).

2. Whether or not there will be a Holiday Celebration.

3. What exactly does TSBA offer for $24 annual dues.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on the topics. Thanks. We need to add approval for the funds to get a TSBA brick at Laguna. I think SA and DFW have already approved it. Then again its 11am so no one is probably going to read this beforehand. :D Guess I'll be going now.