PDA

View Full Version : WHY I LIKE TSBA

CalamariKid
December 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
I've said most of this before, but feel it worth mentioning every now and then.

I bought my current bike a little under a year ago, a 95 GPZ 1100. Prior to that I had owned a BMW K100 (1986) which I rode for a couple of years. When I had the BMW I mostly used it for commuting to work and the occasional weekend ride, almost always solo. I was not a memeber of any organization or club, just liked to ride and did so.

Whenever I had something go wrong with the bike I'd take it to the shop and pay through the nose.

When I purchased the GPZ I came across the TSBA website while doing a search of topics on biking in Houston. I read some of the posts, read about the weekly rides, saw the pics, and thought Cool! people like me who love to ride off the beaten path!

At my first ride with the group I was nervous as I did not know how my riding skills would measure up, whether I would be able to stick with the group or emberess myself. I kept rethinking what I had read in Proficient Motorcycling about riding your own ride, don't ride above your skill. I thought about what I had read in The Pace about the same, and willed myself to avoid the temptation of trying to stick with riders who road faster than I could. I succeeded, I stayed at the back of the pack, kept plenty of distance between myself and the rider in front of me, and focused on the road ahead, not the rider.

Well, I was slower than everyone else, and I did feel a bit self concious about that as I would catch up to the others at the turns where they waited.

When we got to breakfeast at Ozarks the other riders put me at ease by giving me encouraging remarks, introducing themselves, telling me about the club.

I enjoied that ride. I enjoied the comradarie of getting together with other riders who share the same passion for motorcycling, who approached the sport from the perspective of viewing riding as a learned skill. They gave me advice on books to read, to consider doing a track day, (me, on a race track!?!? - COOL!!!), by telling me that I could do my own work on the bike and they would help me.

My first track day was outside of Dallas. I was offered, and accepted, an invitation to room that weekend with a rider from our Dallas chapter who knew nothing about me other than that I was a member of TSBA. I had one of my most exhilirating days in my life, that fist track day. There have been more and will be more in the future.

On went on an IBI to Arkansas and to the Hill Country, weekend statewide get togethers centered around some of the best riding within 1000 miles.

I have had members spend hours helping me work on my bike, help me pick it up from a tow site when I had an accident, lend me a trailer when I needed one, shared their knowledge of the best curvy roads around... On and on.

So, this is why I like the TSBA. Getting to know and ride with people who share my passion for riding, and are willing to share their time, experience and expertise with me.

I have improved vastly as a rider in the past year. I can ride faster than before, though I often ride slower. I am not inimidated by a in-line four engine, and I have aspirations to maybe get that track dedicated bike and maybe, just maybe do a little amatuer racing. It sure beats the hell out of just commuting (which I still do).

So, thanks for a great year to all the members of TSBA and I hope I can repay some of the kindness you have shown me by helping you out if you need it and by following your example with the newcombers.

Oskar_Z28
December 3rd, 2004, 01:34 PM
Good post Charles.

Inlaw1
December 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Bravo Charles! In the 14 years I've been with TSBA I've heard a version of this same story countless times. Dedicated members to a dedicated sport helping out other riders find the same. It IS what makes this organization the success it has been for over 17 years.

Chatterbox
December 3rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Charles, I agree with you.

Chris and I have made so many new friends throughout the state since we've been involved with the TSBA. I know we can go anywhere in this state and always be able to ask someone for help if we really need it - and someone will be there for us.

Yes, we've had motorcycles forever, but we never really rode before until 2002 when we joined TSBA. To us, rides were cruising around town. We never even thought about riding out in the middle of nowhere. Who knew it could be so fun????

I was always afraid to be anything other than a passsenger. Well, over the last two years several of you have asked me when I was going to start riding. Chris even pushed me to take the MSF course, if only to learn to be a better passenger. Then Dodi had to go and sign up for a class. Since Linda had been bugging me for a couple of months to take the MSF course with her, I finally gave in and took it. Now that I have my own bike, I can hardly believe I didn't do it years ago.

The encouragement from many of our members is great - especially from the more experienced riders. From being a passenger and seeing newbies on the rides, I learned that no one is trying to be mean to anyone or hurt anyone's feelings when they tell them what they are doing "wrong" while riding. They are just trying to help improve your riding skill and make you a safer rider. This helps me now not take things too personally when someone makes suggestions about things I do - even if it's Chris. ;)

If it weren't for the TSBA, I probably would still be only a passenger. UH OH! That may have been a good thing!!! :D

Friends; scenic, twisty rides; social activities - that's how I see TSBA.

Vee4Rider
December 3rd, 2004, 04:23 PM
TSBA....You never know what you're gonna get! ;)

It's cheaper than tickets to a comedy club.... :D

TFox
December 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
I've always said, anyone who rides a GPZ 1100 is a class act!!

The Big Spank Daddy
December 3rd, 2004, 11:08 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark :D

All said well and I gladly pay my $24. I consider it an investment into my adventure account.