PDA

View Full Version : SMR 9-1-02 squid crash test dummy

The Big Spank Daddy
September 1st, 2002, 02:51 PM
We met at the JIB in Brookshire with Cindy and I two up. Cindy was all decked out in her new gear and looking sexier than ever, so Randy said. Jeff with his new Joe Rocket 2pc High Side leathers on the Screaming Yellow Thunder, Gary Maxwell on his SV650, Scott on his black Suzuki 900, Randy on the “it will go anywhere” Beemer and Tim on his Beemer tour. We all, Scott and I, voted to skip the Peach Tree rd route in favor of the more scenic and smooth 359. Good call Scott.

Well up behind us at the stop sign for 359 and 1458 (racer road) come these 4 squids. We take off at our normal pace with Tim on the Beemer leading and setting a good pace, Scott, Randy myself, Jeff and then Gary. Two of the squids blow by Cindy and I after about the fourth turn. Several turns after comes this guy on this red ZX9R, T-shirt, tennis shoes and helmet. He’s right on my tail but cannot get by in the corners, finding out later that he would have if he could have. Not bragging but Cindy and I were not exactly putting along. When we got to a bit of a straight I pulled over, slowed it down a bit and waved him by. Just after he passed we came to this sweeping right hander and we were right on his pipe leaning it in when he went wide across the double yellow all the way to the far shoulder and almost going off. He slowed it up enough to cut across the FJ and rocket away on the next straight.

Two corners later I see Randy slowing up and it was obvious that he was going way to slow for cops so we figured that something happened. Sure enough ZX9R squid went off right in front of Randy on a left hand sweeper. Seconds later Jeff and Gary pull up laughing. Jeff says the guy tried passing him in the corners several times but just could not get by. He eventually dived under Jeff and almost ran off the road doing so. When he got it going again he flipped Jeff off as his ZX9R out accelerated the EX250.

The guy said that he hit some gravel and it sent him off. Yea, right! Randy, who had a ringside seat, said he just went to wide and got off into the slippery grass. The bike tumbled over several times. It was torn up pretty good. The guy, a.k.a. squid, well he seemed okay but Randy said his hand took a pretty good hit. He told us that his wife did not want him to ride today. He also said the last time she told him that he ended up in the hospital partially paralyzed. His buddy in the yellow “T-SHIRT” just stood there with this look of total dismay on his face. We went up to our normal turn off and told his other two buddies what happened and they had this sigh of disgust and headed back.

As for the rest of the trip, well it was full of LEOs so we kept the pace down. I thought my rear tire was low and checked it when we got to Fayetteville but it was fine. Then Randy and Scott both complained about the road being slick and had a few moments them selves. Turns out Orsak’s was closed for the holiday so we just sat around under a shade tree and took a break. Tim went his own way as did Randy. The rest of us back tracked the way we came and took it pretty easy. Jeff had to get to work so we called it a short day.

I got some pictures but my crappy computer is taking way to long to send them to Randy to post. I’ll get them sent to Randy Tuesday so we can all see a “ventilated” ZX9R and what a true squid looks like.

I would not wish anyone bad but I was glad this happened today for Jeff’s benefit. It showed him that no matter how fast the bike is in a straight line, if you cannot turn it then you lose. He continues to improve on his EX250 and riding with this group of more experienced and mature riders is a great learning experience.

Scott Dennis
September 1st, 2002, 03:25 PM
Chris -- Thanks for the write-up. I almost came out this morning for the ride, but decided at the last minute to do a quick little 'in the immediate area' ride instead. Too bad I missed it; I'm always up to being amused and amazed by total idiots on sportbikes.

The problematic thing about this is the guy still doesn't get it. You can hear the stories he's telling his buddies now: "Yeah, I'd just smoked past all these other guys and was leaned over dragging my freakin' elbows when I ran into a big patch of gravel. I could have saved it, but decided to lay it down instead." Uh, yeah...

Bozo.

The Big Spank Daddy
September 1st, 2002, 04:20 PM
Hey Scott D., are you sure you weren't there, because that's pretty much what he said? You must have ESP. Can you give me some investment advice? Sad thing is 1458 is such a nice road that idiots like that is what has the LEOs out in force and make it bad for the rest of us who use a little common sense.

Hey, Randy. I figured out what I was doing wrong and got those pics sent to you. I was having some trouble so some of them may be duplicated.

Inlaw1
September 1st, 2002, 06:14 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear about the experience. I don't care if they weren't with you, having to assist in any clean up is a ride downer. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt bad, and can only hope his bike is totaled and he has no insurance!! Maybe he won't be able to ride anymore so the rest of us won't look so bad. smile.gif

Used to be not a whole lot of folks new about 1458 AKA Racer Road. What with the expansion of Houston more and more riders seem to have found it. Scott, had to laugh at your description. smile.gif Spot on for this type of individual, it's too bad they have that mentality as they never will progress as a rider because of it.

Looking forward to seeing the pics Chris. Thanks for the write up.

tankmonkey
September 1st, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
We take off at our normal pace with Tim on the Beemer leading and setting a good pace, Scott, Randy myself, Jeff and then Gary. Two of the squids blow by Cindy and I after about the fourth turn.actually, I had both bmws in front of me when we left, because I figured randy, with only old age and treachery on his side, would be no match for my mad riding skillz, yo.

I did eventually pass the codger (hi, randy! <wave> ), but only because he let me. unfortunately, this was also the point that the lead bike in the other group decided to blow past us both like a zx12r-shaped cruise missle.

realizing that there were most definitely interlopers in our midst, I was a little better prepared for the second bike (r1) to come bombing past me. since I was already on a mission to run down tim and the big beemer (hey, he's a dang good rider and knows the roads well) I latched onto the r1's draft. once we caught up to tim, I backed off (ask any of my endurance racing buddies - I'm more of a follower than a leader tongue.gif ) while mr. r1 put the moves on tim.

of course, he chose to make his move mid-way through a left-right combo with a blind exit. and he did it on the inside in the oncoming lane...

"check, please."

I was not surprised when randy and the rest of the gang showed up after 5 or so minutes to tell the other two guys their buddy ate it in a turn...

pity. I saw chris' pictures of the accident site and the guy's bike was a (formerly) clean '97 zx9r (the six-piston calipers and grabrails give it away, natch) which now needs a new wardrobe (and owner, if there is any justice).

Not bragging but Cindy and I were not exactly putting along.you're too modest. I'm very impressed with how well you hold your line mid-corner when she's smacking the back of your helmet and pointing at the scenery... ;)

Then Randy and Scott both complained about the road being slick and had a few moments them selves. I was just backing up randy's excuses for being so slow out there. I figure with his impending internment in the old-age home, it was the least I could do... :D ;)

Brian Montgomery
September 1st, 2002, 07:14 PM
Could this have been the same guy on the Red zx9 that rode last sunday with his wife? and his son, sons friend and sons friends dad? They told my buddy Jason that they would have to come out on their own and ride. But you said a 97 zx9 and his was a 2001 zx9...I think...

htown svs
September 1st, 2002, 07:19 PM
I'm just a newbie but,I've nothing but respect for Tim and that Beemer. Anybody who thinks its all about the bike needs to follow Tim for a few corners. As for Chris and the Cindy, my wife would be screaming bloody murder if I tried taking corners like that with her on back.

That squid was one of the luckiest guys alive today. I wonder when he'll learn his lesson? :confused:

All in all, a great ride along with a reminder to ride at our own pace and wear your gear. I can't wait for the next SMR :D

tweety
September 1st, 2002, 07:27 PM
"That squid was one of the luckiest guys alive today. I wonder when he'll learn his lesson?"

Doubt it. Any squid that doesn't get hurt from doing something stupid will most likely be bragging about his get off and how it wasn't sucj a big deal. Since he will be thumbing his nose at the world he will most likely get hurt really bad the next time if not dead.

TXFZ1
September 1st, 2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Gary Maxwell:
I'm just a newbie but,I've nothing but respect for Tim and that Beemer. Anybody who thinks its all about the bike needs to follow Tim for a few corners. As for Chris and the Cindy, my wife would be screaming bloody murder if I tried taking corners like that with her on back.
I think everybody that has the privilege to follow "Tim and that Beemer" says the exact same thing. I know I have.

As for the squid, Today he will be saying "draggin my freakin' elbows." tomorrow it will be "drifting both wheels at the apex, draggin' my freakin' elbow, was going to do a power cross-up wheelie when I hit that patch of gravel." :rolleyes:

tankmonkey
September 1st, 2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
Could this have been the same guy on the Red zx9 that rode last sunday with his wife? I don't think it was. from the pictures I saw on chris' camera, this was a younger fellow and the zx9 that crashed today was the older model (built like the zx7) instead of the current model (built like the zx6).

rtbain
September 2nd, 2002, 07:57 AM
Squid crashing from the ring side.

Just for reference remember that we were on cruise, honest. Tim was setting a quick pace but was way back from the edge. Way back.

I saw in my rear view we had picked up a few new bikes at the stop sign on 359 and 1458. Looked like sport bikes so I figured they would get by without delay considering our pace for that day.

Several turns later (where are those guys?) Tim was about 100 yards ahead when Scott comes cruising by. Nice clean pass. Then things got interesting. The first two ‘riders not in our group’ came screaming buy. Luckily I am used to being passed and gave them plenty of room. They needed it. Seemed a bit over their heads. My thoughts were:
1. Poor Tim and Scott
2. Do I have my cell phone and first aid kit?
3. I wonder how much money they have in their wallets?

Not long after I see yet another bike approaching from the rear. I ease over to the right on a short straight and wave him by. Helmet, jeans, t-shirt, nice job dude. He goes WAY wide, WFO, then tucks back in for a left hander. He is not traveling very fast but obviously gets scared and chops the throttle.

Of course the rest is very predictable. Bike stands up and runs wide. In this case, wide takes him into the wet grass. He and his bike to the ground-sky-ground-sky thing a few times and come to a rest.

I stop secure my bike and try to act concerned about the poor hapless fellow. Secured his bike (freakin’ turn off the ignition and fuel you moron!) No major human damage, although I would suspect his right hand is the most sore. Bike didn’t fare to well but mostly plastic hanging here and there. Chris was taking pictures all the while. Nice job.

One of his buddies stopped but wasn’t much help. Just kinda stood there and stared. I would think if he spent much time with this group he would know the drill much better by now. Jeez.

Once we had determined he needed no additional help we motored on and met up with our group (his other buddies had stopped as well). We mentioned one of their own had crashed. Their look did not seem to have concern as much as disgust. They headed back to the crash site. We went on.

This was not the same bike the couple rode the weekend before. So many squids and they are all way to close for comfort.

Inlaw1
September 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
3. I wonder how much money they have in their wallets?L'ingOL! :D You kill me Randy! smile.gif

rtbain
September 2nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
Pictures for 01 September 2002 SMR are up:(thanks to Chris)
http://users2.ev1.net/~rtbain/tsba/smr/090102/090102.htm

Historical Houston chapter SMR:
http://users2.ev1.net/~rtbain/tsba/smr/smr.htm

Houston Chapter Ride pictures:
http://users2.ev1.net/~rtbain/tsba/tsba.htm

If you have any pictures from previous ride(s) I would be happy to post them. If other chapters would like a place to keep pictures just holler.

My web publishing ain't too fancy but it works (most of the time). Not enough room for video though. Just stills.

rtbain
September 2nd, 2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Randy Bain:
3. I wonder how much money they have in their wallets?L'ingOL! :D You kill me Randy! smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Randy’s Rules for Accident Scene Management:
1. Ensure the scene is safe to enter. We have enough bodies laying about thank you.
2. If there is any doubt send people to block traffic from ALL directions.
3. Have someone secure the bike (ignition and fuel cut off). Don’t move it if it serves to protect area. If the cages have to drive around the wreck it will slow things down.
4. See if rider(s) is responsive, try not to let them move.
5. If not responsive go into ‘Oh ****!’ mode. Notify EMS (find out where they are coming from and send someone to meet them and guide in if necessary)and do the first aid thing. We all know first aid and CPR right?
6. Stabilize neck. Rider will like want to remove helmet. Try to talk them out of this idea. But above all stabilize neck. Helmet goes with rider to hospital in any case. They use it to determine nature and severity of trauma.
7. Check for major leaks. Plug leaks.
8. Keep an eye on downed rider. They may go into shock.
9. Check wallet for:
a. Emergency contact information
b. Cash
c. Picture of girl friend
d. Pictures of girl friend naked
10. Remove pictures of girlfriend so that she may be readily identified and ‘comfort’ given.
11. Remove cash so you will have resources sufficient to comfort her. Its your duty as a fellow biker

Scott Dennis
September 2nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Randy -- You are a sick, sick man. I like and respect that in a fellow human being. smile.gif

I've got to get out on a ride sometime soon just to meet you & Donnelly; I'm having this 'kindred sprits' feeling that we're going to get along just fine.

Leskerr
September 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Randy

You forgot to check and ensure that everything possible is being done to ensure that the Aprilia is as comfortable as possible.

When this has been taken care of and after a suitable discussion as to what irrisponsible squid would do such a thing to such a beautiful bike, suddenly look round and say "Has anybody seen Les"

Just Kidding

The Big Spank Daddy
September 2nd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Anyone take a look at what his T-shirt says? I guess he's gonna starve to death before he learns his lesson.

rtbain
September 2nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Leskerr:
Randy

You forgot to check and ensure that everything possible is being done to ensure that the Aprilia is as comfortable as possible.

When this has been taken care of and after a suitable discussion as to what irrisponsible squid would do such a thing to such a beautiful bike, suddenly look round and say "Has anybody seen Les"

Just Kidding:D

No problem. Your crash we still can't figure out. The pants leg must of caught the brake lever when you were strecthing. That is just goofy, not squidly. Sorry Les, you are not even on the same soccer field as the guy who 'hit some gravle and laid it down in the grass'.

BTW the Parilia is comfy. Sitting on the stand waiting for parts. She still looks good naked.

rtbain
September 2nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Scott Dennis:
Randy -- You are a sick, sick man. I like and respect that in a fellow human being. smile.gif

I've got to get out on a ride sometime soon just to meet you & Donnelly; I'm having this 'kindred sprits' feeling that we're going to get along just fine.Aw shucks. Twern't nuthin'

htown svs
September 2nd, 2002, 06:33 PM
I'm cleaning out my wallet before riding with Randy again. I don't want the wife to know about the girlfriend. :D

The Big Spank Daddy
September 3rd, 2002, 07:52 AM
The funniest thing about the whole deal is that he flipped Jeff of as he passed and a couple corners later was in the ditch.

I realy like Randy's rules 9b through 11. Oh, and Gary, don't crash and you won't have to worry about the girlfriend thing. The more I think about it you realy should worry about the wife though since Randy will be there to comfort her.

Just a lesson to remember, after passing with the one finger solute it would be best for your ego if you did not eat grass a few corners later.

Louis Reinartz
September 3rd, 2002, 08:14 AM
Randy is that "Special Member" of TSBA,we are using him asa role model,per Gary's request. We hope to all someday have the same values as Randy.
If you dont know Randy,you are missing out on meeting a very nice person,Randy,we luv ya man!! :D