PDA

View Full Version : First ZX-10 in Houston?

Paul Sonderfan
March 21st, 2004, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm an impulsive flake. Got tired of waiting on a new R1 and jumped (literally) on the new ZX-10. I've only put about 80 miles on it, but I'm very pleased with my decision, so far (can you say "3rd gear power wheelies?"). The Valentine has been mounted and the fender eliminater has been fabricated and installed. Now, if this rain would just go away, I could continue with the "break-in". Anyone for an afternoon ride on the north side?

tankmonkey
March 21st, 2004, 10:15 AM
does it seem like the tranny shifting issues the mags reported on the preproduction bikes have been resolved?

Pete
March 21st, 2004, 10:24 AM
Congrats Paul, I think you made a smart choice.

Paul Sonderfan
March 21st, 2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Scott Martin:
does it seem like the tranny shifting issues the mags reported on the preproduction bikes have been resolved? From what I can tell, that was a pre-production issue, only. Mine shifts perfectly, but of course, I only have about 80 miles on it.

AaronEustace
March 22nd, 2004, 08:01 AM
Right on!!! What color is it? I know you have a digital, where's the pics?

Paul Sonderfan
March 22nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Given the choices, I HAD to go with the blue. The black was just too much black (body, frame, rims) and the green and orange are not really ME. I have pictures, but I don't know how to post them here. If you ever go riding again, I'll swap bikes for a session and let you "review" it.

AaronEustace
March 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
I figured it was Blue...didn't want contrasting leathers I assume.

As far as my lack of riding, I admit I have not been into it since Mr. Anderson went down right in front of me. Seeing that happen didn't scare me but took some of the fun out of it. How such a low-speed seemingly innocuous spill could cause so much damage... :eek:

Anyway, I did ride both steeds yesterday (I have use of my brother's R6 for 4 months) after the roads dried up just for a bit. I was twitchy, uncomfortable, nervous and basically rode both bikes like sh!t. I'll give it a few more SMR's and if the bug doesn't return I'm selling out. No need to take these levels of risk if you don't really enjoy what you're doing...

The Big Spank Daddy
March 22nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
Congrats Paul. Can't wait to see one in person.

Aaron, ride like caca? I too have been having second thoughts about riding ever since Brian Hood wound up in a fence and then again after Tommy's spill and lately after the Suburban almost made a pancake out of me.

Buuuuuuuuuut, rember a couple months ago when that lady downtown got ran over by the bus stepping off of the curb and died? That was my sister-in-law. It hit home that "anything" can happen and you cannot go through life in a protective bubble.

Some may say not, but I've definitely toned it down a little. One of the things I want to do is get the enjoyment back into "riding".

Riding isn't all about haling *** every where we go. It's about the standing in awe and envy over Paul's new ZX10 or hanging out at Oskar's watching the Daytona 200 on his big screen, getting to know the guys at the races and cheering them on as they go by.

It's about helping out a friend in need with a pickup or helping out changing a tire, or saving them a few bucks on maintenance.

It's about doing a selfless act such as participating in the RFK event next month. Meeting new people at the the DFW Ark Spring IBI. It's that good feeling you get when a buddy has a flat and you have a flat repair kit and a compressor.

Everytime I through a leg over a bike I consider the consequences. I also consider the thrill of being alive and one with a machine in harmony. I can smeel fresh cut grass, over heated brakes on an 18 wheeler or smeel the rain before it starts to pelt me. These are only a few of the things I miss when I'm in a cage or my lounge chair.

Me, I look forward to riding on the next SMR with a slight rush of adrenalin when I stand and drool over Paul's bad *** new ride.

jamesgranberry
March 23rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Hey Chris, I have. tongue.gif We have sold two R1's and one ZX10 here at Woods. Both models look sharp. Here are some pic's of the ZX10 we uncrated through our set-up department. If you can imagine this in blue instead of this green it might give you an idea about Pauls new whirl wind.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p542fa9bded4ec91c2ff6891341ccba66/f940daf1.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p46dbe9ce6144ac320f77271fafebe9de/f940daae.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/pa59a9a63afb5036b1cb99b0b1d7c7907/f940da92.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p7cc89e71e5b27fb2a10bbe5353860966/f940da7b.jpg

The instrument cluster is just like the Z1000's. I think Paul is going to have to put some under carrage weight just to keep the front end on the ground though. Hehehe, you can imagine the tire sellers are going to LOVE Paul with all the rear tires he will probably go through. But every moment will be way cool. Just don't ride behind him, you know he will be throughing quite a roostertail.

[ March 23, 2004, 01:20: Message edited by: James Granberry ]

Paul Sonderfan
March 23rd, 2004, 10:30 AM
Well said, Chris. I hope you get past this, Aaron. There IS a lot more to this than just going fast. Come back and ride with everyone else and maybe the fun will return. Hell, I'm ready to go back to Ark...NOW! BTW, how do you attach pictures to your post?

[ March 23, 2004, 10:31: Message edited by: Paul Sonderfan ]

AaronEustace
March 23rd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Chris, I too enjoy those things you listed so eloquently. I'm not giving it up yet, just being brutally honest (and open) with my thoughts about riding 'street'. Part of my problem is that I do enjoy riding well above the 'pace' but know it's plain foolish to do so. I seriously need to see if track days will quench that thirst and allow me to enjoy the 'street' rides at more reasonable levels. If no rain, I'll see you all on Sunday and thanks again for listening.

As far as attaching pictures goes, the way I do it is to save them to a website called digitalstar.com and copy the URL. From there, I use the instant UBB code buttons below (IMAGE) and just paste in the url between the brackets. If you right-click on any picture posted in these threads and select 'Properties', you can see the URL. James uses Imagestation.com I believe...

CalamariKid
March 23rd, 2004, 08:31 PM
Chris,

Dude, you hit the nail on the head. Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone told me I am: a) crazy, b)irresponsible, c) foolhardy, or d) all of the above; for riding... The point is, you hear it enough and it starts to beat you down. It makes me think of the opening chapter in Proficient Motorcycling where David Hough recalls his early days riding to work.

I start to think, is this really too dangerous? Too much risk? (Especially given my episodes of late.) But then I remember that there is so much of that risk we can control and limit, and the funny thing is that I find I get more enjoyment when I am not riding at a point where I think I am pushing past my risk tollerance.

Having just gotten back from a track day, I now know that there is a time and a place that I can get down and hang it out as far as I can, but for me, doing so on the street is over my risk tollerance.

The bottom line is that I enjoy the hell out of motorcycling. Riding with guilt (I really think that for me it is guilt more than fear) takes all the fun out of it. Riding in an acceptable risk band, improving my skill through courses, reading, etc. allows me to enjoy the ride guilt free.

Amen to your comments about the comradarie also. You are the poster child (term used very loosely) tongue.gif for the fellowship this group can offer. I just spent the weekend in Dallas for the track day, and the DFW group literally opened their doors for me. It is meeting people like that which makes motorcyling so much more than just the riding.

VFRacer-R
March 23rd, 2004, 10:21 PM
I echoe all of your thoughts (on this highjacked thread!!!).
I am making a conscious decision after 19 years of riding on the street, to seriously limit my street time to almost nil.
The very, very low speed get-off was just the icing on the cake that was almost done anyway. As one of my co-workers pointed out when I told them that I was going to stick to track only riding after that accident, he said "you know, the only common factor in your crash was the idiot that caused it, is the same one you are taking to the track!" Gotta love firefighters, so much grasp on the obvious!
Seriously, I will be on the street some, but not like I was. Motorcycling used to be my only mode of transportation for years and years. Mom and Pops said that if I wanted to drive, I had to buy my own vehicle. I chose a motorcyle (they didn't see that coming), so when I got enough money, I bought my first one at 15.
I really can't afford a new bike, my VFR has outlived it's usefullness (parts are too hard to find), and I have more confidence on what to expect on the track than I do on the street. No less chance of a crash, but at least I won't get a ticket for speeding or crashing....
I dunno, maybe I have a bad attitude.
Congrats on the new steed Paul! I do have to say that I was looking forward to seeing the R1 though...... tongue.gif