PDA

View Full Version : Total Control

rtbain
March 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Jim Trimm let me read his copy of ďTotal ControlĒ by Lee Parks. Itís a really good read with plenty of exercises. I liked it so much I ordered one for myself.

If anyone is interested I would like to set up a test course one Saturday. I think it would be fun to run through all the drills. Iíll spring for the cones and find and open parking lot if there is interest.

If you are interested in a copy one place to find it is Amazon. Link below.
Amazon - Total Control (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0760314039/qid=1079902170/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-0666808-0302328?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Pete
March 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
If anyone is interested I would like to set up a test course one Saturday. I think it would be fun to run through all the drills. I’ll spring for the cones and find and open parking lot if there is interest.The Home Depot parking lot is pretty full on Saturday.

rtbain
March 22nd, 2004, 04:21 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the Houston Police Academy driving range, no details yet.

I realize this is not substitute for a track day but it gives more challenge than the MSF ERC. Its just an idea.

[ March 22, 2004, 04:23: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]

AaronEustace
March 22nd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Can we combine it with a wheelie school too? :D

rtbain
March 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
OK, I give.

Pearls before swine I tell you, its all pearls before swine. smile.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
March 22nd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Aaron? I thought you were the resident TSBA wheelie king. Why would you need lessons?

Ohhhh, you were just thinking of other fellow members :D

The Big Spank Daddy
March 22nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
I'm all for it (not the wheelie school). I could certainly use the training and practice.

Oskar_Z28
March 22nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
I am a wheelie weenie. I got skeerd when the front came up cresting a hill on 335 this past weekend. Can this help me? smile.gif

Actually this is pretty good idea. Can we get this certified, and use it to take care of tickets?

rtbain
March 23rd, 2004, 04:36 AM
Itís not certifiable that I know of. To be frank I will just be running the drills from the book.

Here is my idea. We find a parking lot (not Home Depot) and set up the course. The book recommends video tape, it makes it hard to argue about what the rider was doing. Its an issue of ďI felt I was doing XĒ when the video clearly shows the rider was doing Y.

I found some cones pretty cheap at our printer ($0.90 each) and will be happy to spring for them. If someone is willing to help me set this thing up I would be most appreciative. Iíll even do the leg work in finding a parking lot.

For those on the fence here is an enticement. The bookís author, Lee Parks says that it is not unusual for riders to get a knee down by dayís end. Not your average parking lot drills.

Brian Montgomery
March 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM
You know, there are plenty of warehouses off of 290 that may be a good place to set it up.

AaronEustace
March 23rd, 2004, 01:56 PM
I thought you were the resident TSBA wheelie king. I wish!!! Heck, maybe the guy from Dallas who was doing wheelies on his FJR1300 with his girlfriend on back can come down to teach that part. :eek:

Actually, I like Randy's idea and would like to give it a go. My limited experience with parking lots is that they are either dirty and gravely, have too many obstacles (lightpoles, tire stops, sleeping policemen) or I get kicked out in under 5 minutes. It may be a problem lining one up. :(

tmtaz21
March 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
Itís not certifiable that I know of. To be frank I will just be running the drills from the book.

Here is my idea. We find a parking lot (not Home Depot) and set up the course. The book recommends video tape, it makes it hard to argue about what the rider was doing. Its an issue of ďI felt I was doing XĒ when the video clearly shows the rider was doing Y.

I found some cones pretty cheap at our printer ($0.90 each) and will be happy to spring for them. If someone is willing to help me set this thing up I would be most appreciative. Iíll even do the leg work in finding a parking lot.

For those on the fence here is an enticement. The bookís author, Lee Parks says that it is not unusual for riders to get a knee down by dayís end. Not your average parking lot drills. Randy,
I can most likely get some cones for free from some of my co-workers that use them for a motors school. Let me know how many cones you will need and I can see what I can do. Might even be able to find a parking lot to use, but the HPD site sounds like the best area to use if we can get it.

rtbain
April 8th, 2004, 07:19 PM
The HPD range is probably out of the question.
1. They donít let motorbikes use the range (unless itís a school).
2. Its $100/hour.

Troy, could you check on parking lots out your way? Iíll do the same here. Thanks for your help.

CalamariKid
April 8th, 2004, 07:25 PM
The Rodeo has a huge parking lot near Reliant Center off of Reed Road and 288. I think it is only used during the Rodeo. Maybe we can contact them and see if they will let us use it. Let me know if what you are working on does not pan out and I can check into theirs.