PDA

View Full Version : Same bike or get another?

The Big Spank Daddy
March 27th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Ins told me Friday they were going to total the GPZ and give me $3946.19 for it. That number is less any accessories. Bike has 50K miles on it and runs perfect.

I did a little looking and saw another just like it for $3700 in Angleton with just 15K miles.

If I buy the bike back from the ins co I can probably fix it for about $1000 or less via used/salvage parts. They may give me $2500 plus I keep the bike. However, it will still have 50K miles still on it and have to chase down the parts.

Although Cindy likes the GPZ, she really likes the Black Kawasaki ZRX1100. I can get one of those with less than 15K miles around a 99 or 00 for about $4500. I also like the ZRX and it would update my year model and Id be starting out with a lot less mileage on the odometer.

Any opinions? Anyone have a ZRX I can test ride?

arpad
March 27th, 2004, 06:23 PM
ZRX1200 smile.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
March 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Arpad, any good deals you might have under $5K would certainly interest me...

CalamariKid
March 27th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Had to chime in! I'm sort of partial to the GPZ ;) , and there are amazingly a good number of them to be had with low miles. I know you are asking for an opinion between the ZRX and the GPZ, but I'd lean toward the ZX1100 before the ZRX.

When I got my GPZ I was looking for a reliable, high performance bike with good ergos under $5K. In adition to the GPZ I also looked at the Bandit, Blackbird, ZX1100 Ninja and FZ1.

Given your mechanical skills I doubt the few years separating the GPZ and ZRX would have much of an impact. I don't know enough about the differences besides the obvious between the two bikes. Both were made as reincarnations of the 1980's GPZ and the ZRX looks more true to the spirit, pure naked hooligan bike with comfy ergos. I guess I lean to the extra fairing protection offered by the GPZ and the ZX1100. My bike previous to the GPZ was a BMW K100 with a bikini fairing and that got old quick.

I guess the fun thing about the ZRX is that it looks like such a tame bike, but will happily launch your *** down the road whenever asked.

Have fun making the choice.

VFRacer-R
March 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
The obvious answer to me is to get the ZRX. It is a no-brainer. The ZRX has a VERY nice suspension, it is comfortable, and has GOBS of power.
The cons are the same as the GPZ, parts availability in the aftermarket is not very good (when compared to the more popular bikes), but the availability of aftermarket parts for the ZRX is better than the GPZ.
Get the ZRX, I think you will be happy with it!

VFRacer-R
March 27th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah, buy the GPZ back from the insurance company!

swwwinger
March 29th, 2004, 12:49 AM
You can probably do better than than that on a 99-00. My 99 was $4300 last year with 2500 miles and I've been told that could have done better.

I need to replace the fork seals and then you can try mine out. Any wrench days coming up in the near future?

The Big Spank Daddy
March 29th, 2004, 07:54 PM
It's done. Are you sitting down for this one...

$3026.00 and I keep the bike! :eek:

Yoohoo!!!!!!!!!

Already located another for $3700 with 15K miles. I can fix the one I have for around $500 with used parts. May sell the FJ and just have two **** nice matching GPZs. :D

Schreck
March 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Good for you, I'll be buying a new bike soon. Tell you what will be eating up my Bridestones soon. It's a secret weapon, no one would ever think I would buy!!!!! :D Honda or Suzuki or Kawasaki or Yamaha

Brian Montgomery
March 29th, 2004, 08:45 PM
That Cats outta the bag!!!! Tony is buying a Buell....lol

swwwinger
March 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Ooh! Ooh! I know! I know!

The Big Spank Daddy
March 29th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Well, I contacted Joe Strong about his '99 Bandit. He still has it and I will be looking at it tomorrow night.

Let's see, a GPZ, an FJ, a Seca II, a Blata and now possibly a Bandit. The stable is growing.

I know what Tony is getting, nah nah nah nah nah. ;)

The Big Spank Daddy
March 31st, 2004, 06:47 PM
The deal is done. Just waiting on my ins check in the next day or so. Looks like I'll have a shiny red 1200 Bandit S by the middle of next week.

Schreck
March 31st, 2004, 07:01 PM
What did you do that for Chris and did you buy it off Scott?

The Big Spank Daddy
March 31st, 2004, 07:33 PM
"What did you do that for..."

Doh, to ride baby, to ride. I put 14,000 miles on the GPZ in 12 months and 8,000 on the FJ in the same time frame. So the next time you here some BS about "non-riders" and the club, I assure you it ain't me.

"...did you buy it off Scott?"

Yep! He stayed up all weekend tripling the displacement and and painting it to look just like 1200S. Thanks Scott :eek:

tankmonkey
March 31st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
Yep! He stayed up all weekend tripling the displacement and and painting it to look just like 1200S. Thanks Scott :eek: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/images/smilies/fingersx.gif

and congratulations on the b12, chris.

I've heard a slip-on and jet kit really wake that motor up.

[ March 31, 2004, 21:45: Message edited by: Scott Martin ]

Schreck
April 1st, 2004, 01:05 AM
Well it's official as of today, I now am the owner of a Brand new GSXR 1000 2003 with 1k miles on it. Still need to break the engine in slow but should be able to ride the Pace for sure. :D Silver and Black

VFRacer-R
April 1st, 2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by T. Schreckenbach:
should be able to ride the Pace for sure. :D Silver and Black Good! You're going to speed up then?

Brian Montgomery
April 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Chris, I thought the whole point of getting another bike was to have a spare GPZ. So much for that idea...Oh and as for the Bandit...have fun on it. It is possibly more sporty than that of the previous rides.

And Tony make sure you turn your brights on for us so we can still spot you in the rear view mirror... tongue.gif

tmtaz21
April 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM
The deal is done. Just waiting on my ins check in the next day or so. Looks like I'll have a shiny red 1200 Bandit S by the middle of next week. Chris, I have a 1279 big bore kit that will fit your new bike :eek: . Just let me know when you want me to bring over :D

Paul Sonderfan
April 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by T. Schreckenbach:
Well it's official as of today, I now am the owner of a Brand new GSXR 1000 2003 with 1k miles on it. Still need to break the engine in slow but should be able to ride the Pace for sure. :D Silver and Black Are you on crack? Why would you need to "break in" a bike with 1000 miles on it. Slow break in means slow motor. Ride it like you stole it!!!

Schreck
April 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
Brian, I'll lead next time so you won't have to look for me in your mirrors. Tom, yes I'll be riding much faster in the corners and straights so you won't worry about me being in your way. I got some more Track Days setup for this year as well. Sure would like to go with you guys on Memorial weekend and do the Dragon. :D Now with that said, I'll see you all soon if I can ever get a Sunday off. Looks like I'll be riding the next 2 months on Saturdays. Give me a call if ya'll want to hook up.

The Big Spank Daddy
April 1st, 2004, 07:09 PM
Pipe and jetting already installed along with about $3K in other acc.

Got my ins check today. Looks like I will have the bike in hand first of next week.

Big Bore kit? Gezz, after riding it I was shocked at how much power it had. Definitely way more than the FJ or GPZ. And your telling me I need more :eek:

VFRacer-R
April 1st, 2004, 08:39 PM
And your telling me I need more :eek: Uh, yeah...!!! http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/images/smilies/fou.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
April 1st, 2004, 10:12 PM
Remember? I'm the slow fat guy in the back. I always have to make sure my high beams work so you guys can see me :D

VFRacer-R
April 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM
Remember? I'm the slow fat guy in the back. Things can change...

tmtaz21
April 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM

Big Bore kit? Gezz, after riding it I was shocked at how much power it had. Definitely way more than the FJ or GPZ. And your telling me I need more :eek: :D :D :D