PDA

View Full Version : Track day raffle:

VFRacer-R
April 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM
#1, the LSTD guys put on (another) great track day, and The Big Guy Upstairs gave us good weather so Scott could shake down his El Suprem-o suspension upgrades!

On the way home, I started to contemplate how I thought the raffle should be held, and came up with this format. The poll will be only if you ARE interested and would purchase a ticket(s), or ARE NOT interested and would NOT purchase ticktes.

Tickets would be $4/piece with a maximum purchase of 10, and we would only sell 75 tickets ($300 worth). We send 50% of the money to the tire changer fund, and 50% to the general fund. This sets the club up for a LOSS, but we need to spend the money anyway, and this does that well. The Club purchases 4 trackdays (~$130/ piece), and the first 4 tickets drawn will win. If the same person wins all 4 (all 4 tickets were purchased by him), it is his descretion as to what to do with them, but they all have to be used on the same track day since they have to be reserved so far in advance.

The second poll is to see if there is interest in a tire raffle. The club purchases tires (I suggest a local retailer or one of the track tire vendors for track rubber) not to exceed $400/ (2 tires) set, the cost of the tickets would be $4/ ticket with a maximum purchase of 10. Maximum tickets sold would be 75 like the track day raffle. The same 50%/50% deal for the raffle money would apply to this raffle too.

The poll will end on Saturday, with the "majority rules", no matter how many members vote.

Vote early, vote often!

You can reply to this poll thread to give suggestions on how to change things up and make it better (I didn't devote a LOT of thought to this), but please still vote so we can get the officers to purchase/ reserve the track days.

[ April 06, 2004, 13:44: Message edited by: VFRacer ]

Pete
April 6th, 2004, 07:26 PM
50% to the tire changer fund? I thought we had discussed a few months back that serveral $75 tire changing machines would be better than one $400 one. If we want to go with the $400 one we probably could but where would we keep it? An investment like that I think should be centrally located somewhere since I'm sure alot of people wouldn't want to drive way out to like Waller or Needville for an example.

I like the track day raffle idea. I think it would also be cool to get a bunch of us together to do a track day at the same time and maybe coordinate it with the raffle. Maybe schedule it later in the year since we'll need to few months to approve it, sell tickets, draw winners, etc.

The tire raffle doesn't appear to be as worth while to me considering a set of mail order tires can be obtained for slightly over $200. Plus you have to worry about matching tire sizes with the winner and such. I'm of the opinion we concentrate on the track day raffle and see how that goes.

What does everyone else think?

AmbeR1
April 6th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Hmmmmm...track day raffle open to DFW members too? ;)

VFRacer-R
April 7th, 2004, 04:51 AM
On the tire machine deal, I envisioned the same thing- Waller and Needville (Hell Cypress for that matter) would be out of the question because of the distance. I would think a centrally located member's house would be best as well.

Regarding the tires: I put the stipulation "not to exceed $400" so that if someone wanted to get track rubber (like for a track day) they could. Also, the TSBA would just write the check, not pick tires ahead of time. The person who won would actually pick the tires.

Regarding the track days: I agree with you Pete. Amber, I was thinking that we would open it up for other chapters if we didn't sell XXX tickets by the halfway point of the raffle.

VFRacer-R
April 7th, 2004, 06:35 PM
For those of you that vote "no", some constructive criticism or comments on this would be nice for those that would like to see this happen for the club.
Just a suggestion, it may open the lines of communication since this money should be spent anyway...
Maybe there are some other ideas out there on how we should spend our money?

AaronEustace
April 7th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Tom,
I think there's a problem with the way you phrased the questions. You're assuming a 'NO' vote automatically equals 'Bad Idea'. Personally, I think the track day raffle is a great idea but would not buy tickets. I don't want to pitch away my one and only bike, I'd rather crash on a track whore.

The same goes for the tire deal; good idea for those going to the track...not so good for me.

Besides, I never win anything anyway tongue.gif !

The Big Spank Daddy
April 7th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I voted yes for the track day raffle. However, I can see why some would not. Some people and possibly most, would not use there only bike at a track day, some have no leathers, some can not get off from work during a weekday, and yet others cannot afford to get hurt. Thus the interest in a track day would be minimal.

I voted no on the tires for the same reasons that Pete gave. The "free" tire give away at the Fall IBI was a total fiasco. There was so much arguing over how to do it that I just gave up and said to just send the money. Money was sent, only two Houston members went on the fall IBI and came back with like a hat or something.

I'm not totally against the tire thing. I think that maybe we should consider a gift certificate or voucher from some online store, tire distributor or local bike shop that the winner can use to buy what ever they want. Not only that we may be able to get a discount along with it, helping to offset some of the cost.

As for the tire machine, I do not think it is a question of money. It seems that nobody centrally located wants it at their house. I canít say I blame them. I change one to two sets of tires weekly for people. Some are TSBA members, some are neighbors and some from who knows where they got my name and number. Anyone who has been to my house and seen the stack of tires I have can vouch for that. One advantage though. I have not had to buy a tire for the GPZ since last September, over 12K miles ago. I keep using race take offs and people with flats that do not want to run a patched tire. My $69 investment has saved me personally about $400 in tire changing expenses and about $600 in tires over the past 18 months.

Iím all for a raffle of some sort. Maybe once a month or once a quarter kind of deal. Letís start a thread asking for suggestions or other ideas and see what everyone comes up with. And letís say that instead of one grand prize we have several levels of prizes. Like say the GP would be worth like $200, 2nd worth about $75 and 3rd about $50.

What about other chapters wanting to participate or non-members?

VFRacer-R
April 7th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Those are all valid concerns.
I just thought we should do something with the money that would benefit the club and give back to the membership.

Aaron, I see your point on the wording- my feelings aren't hurt or anything like that, far from it. I was surprised to see several no votes, and when we brought these things up before, everyone seemed more enthusiastic.

Let's see how this shakes out, and go from there, eh?

Chirpy
April 8th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by AaronEustace:
I don't want to pitch away my one and only bike, I'd rather crash on a track whore. Then don't. If you're going to a track day planning to crash, don't go. The point of the track is you don't have to banzai every corner guessing whether or not you're going to make it.

You have the entire day to work the track, gradually raising your limits on every corner. That's how you avoid being an idiot and stopping the day for everyone else.

Sermon off,

Daryl

AaronEustace
April 8th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Hey Daryl,
Thanks for the insight and wisdom jackass. :mad: No one goes to a track 'planning' to crash but you had better be 'prepared' to because people do and that's the reality of a track-day. There's a higher likelihood of it happenning on a track where speeds are generally higher, others are bonzai-ing/crashing around you, fluids are being laid down, etc... Not all crashes are the rider's fault genius. If I go to a track I want the machine to be 'prepared' for it, race glass, no lights, sliders, etc... Bottom line: I'm not risking my street steed and that's the point you failed to grasp.

Retort Off,

Aaron

The Big Spank Daddy
April 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Daryl, don't take it wrong, but I have to agree with Aaron. I did not go to Oskar's house last month planning to get run over by a Suburban and trailering home the GPZ, but it happened. Hey, I've never been on the track myself, but after working corners for two years I've seen plenty of incidents were it was not the fault of the guy who hit the pavement.

Any way...back on topic, I'm all for spending the $$$$ to benifit the members and I like the raffle idea. We just need to come up with options that would stimulate a greater amount of participation.

VFRacer-R
April 8th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Well, regarding the track day incidents, I have to say, I really think the track is better than the street. Sure, you can have an incident on the track- but I think it is more likely that you will have an incident on the street than track. There are way more variables going against you on the street than the track.
But that is my opinion, and Aaron, I agree that a track prepared bike would be better than your street bike. I also think that doing a track day on your street bike, in the "C" group, will make you a better rider on the street...
IMHO.

Well, I don't want to get all political and do surveys and create committees and belabor incidental items blah, blah.

I think that if we (as a majority) want to do it, let's just do it. Besides, we have to spend the money anyway, and who care if we don't make the 75 ticket max sale? I would like to see more of us on the track to hone skills and be better riders. Hell, maybe one of us will decide that he/ she wants to race!

Schreck
April 9th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I agree with Tom on this one, since I recently did my track day. I found that I too wanted to do more track than street riding. Speed and cornering skills improved 10x fold on the track. Problem is that most of us besides me had a extra body to replace the stock items so if a accident had occured it wouldn't effect the check book to badly. The addiction to race more on the track was felt strongly though my funds restrict me from persuading my goal(racing endurance)Maybe next year, I keep reminding myself-maybe next year. tongue.gif Even if I'm not good enough experience wise. I know I will improve by riding with people more experinced than I riding against riders found at the track. Case in point :D