PDA

View Full Version : HTH Recap

The Big Spank Daddy
August 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Great showing for the 2004 Hotter than Hell Ride!

Houston had 11 in attendance. DFW had 2 riders, with San Antonio bringing 15+. San Angelo showed up a little late with 7 bikes. All of us were on the receiving end of perfect weather – 65 for the start of the ride and 89 at the end. Low humidity.

Attending were:

Chris, Cindy, Lainie Donnelly and friend Amanda
Oskar Kudla
Ivan and Berta Santiago, and son David
Doug Smith
Rick "from Houston" Jarvi
Mike Benson
Hank Meyers
Greg Childress
Mike Mladin
Gary Stoops
Barron Haake
Stuart Robles and Carolyn Orsack
Valentino Rossi
Charles "Stealth" Nevle
Matt Amick
Scott and Denise Eichhorn
Gary Maxwell
Paul Sonderfan
Randy and Susan Bain
Bruce "Smart Bart Fast" Hearn
Brett Hearn
Brad Hearn
Carl Tindle
Lance, Delisa, Alexis, Trent and Grant Reynolds

Several San Antonio and San Angelo riders that left before we could get their names on the list.

All it all, it was a good ride. However, there were several incidents. Unfortunately, one of those resulted in a broken arm – pretty much told the bike was totaled. :( The second was an abrasion on the back, probably some sore muscles and a bruise. The third, we’ll say it ended in a smelly clean-up. Randy, insert long story here. Short version is BMW GS – 1, deer – 0.

No run-ins with Sanchez – but he was spotted in the area multiple times.

Broke into 3 groups – 2 groups for the long route, and 1 small group doing the short route backwards.

San Angelo missed the departure by about 5 minutes (even though departure was 30 minutes after designated “stands up”). Seems they started off the day with a flat that delayed them.

After making sure everyone was off and knew they had a “crash truck” if needed, Cindy and the girls set off to go tubing. About 45 minutes later, she saw a group of bikers pulled off the road – obviously a rider down. She stopped and asked if they needed anything and was everyone ok. One of the riders said, “Yeah. Thanks.” So, Cindy drove on. Well, that was the crash with the San Angelo rider who broke his arm. Next time, yell at her to stop and help, Mike!!! You know “all those bikes and leathers look alike” to her! ;)

Only tubing event was a snake wrapping itself around Lainie’s leg. :eek:

The “normal” incidents seemed to happen to the 2nd long route group – the guys from San Antonio. Rick “from Houston” Jarvi had TWO flats right off the bat! Ivan and Mike didn’t even make the ride – Ivan had a bad tire and Mike had a bad battery. Didn’t slow their fun down for the later festivities though.

Great roads – 16, 337, 335, 41, 470, Park Road 37. Only bad road I was disappointed in (it sucked) was 336. That won’t be on any of my future routes – debris everywhere, rocks, road patches – a biker’s worst nightmare.

Of course, 337 was the favorite road of all, unless you ask Matt from San Angelo. That’s where he went a little hot into one of the corners farther down the mountain. He ended up with a pretty good scrape and bruise on his lower back. Thank goodness for proper biking attire.

Didn’t get a chance to talk to David, Ivan’s son, when we got back to Kerrville. Headed north on 16 in the really tight stuff, I got a little hot in one of the left-hand corners and was backing it in. I could hear him behind me, sounded like he was having rear wheel hop. Unfortunately, I was busy at the controls and could not cross my fingers in hopes he was not going to run into the back of me. Sorry for the scare, David.

Arrived back at the hotel about 4:30, a little later than scheduled. Lots of riders donned swimwear and took full advantage of the pool. Brad Hearn entertained us making his own martinis, complete with olives on toothpicks. Brett and Bruce assisted in the entertainment displaying some of their "brotherly love". Those three were given a new "group" name by Hank - The Killer B's. Too hard trying to call each one by the right name, but going down the list - Bruce, Brett, Brad (trying saying that really fast). Greg C. made a beer run, putting his life in the hands of Lainie (15 year old with only a permit!)at the wheel. :eek: When they got back, he congratulated Chris on teaching his daughter how to power slide in the parking lot.

Dinner was great. They totally made us feel welcome, and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. Scanning through the list that Cindy had everyone sign, we noticed we had two VIPS, which we were unaware of. Seems Valentino Rossi and Matt Mladin joined us for dinner. (Need to ask Greg Childress and Barron Haake about this!!!) Went back to the hotel and socialized around the pool for a while.

Some of the guys went for a little SMR today, but one of them will have to post up the story. I didn’t go.

Oh, one last incident. Randy and I were checking out the “tilt” mechanism of my new trailer. Decided not to use it since neither of us were sure how it works. So, Randy and Ivan offered to help me load my baby – the GPZ. Got the ramp on, made sure it was secure so it wouldn't slip off, went to push the bike up the ramp, made it as far as the ramp/trailer point. BOOM! Next thing I knew, the GPZ was on the ground and the trailer was up in the air!!! Nope, the GPZ did not fall over, was still planted firmly on the loading ramp flat on the ground. Seems I overlooked putting the tilt mechanism safety pin back in, and Randy overlooked reminding me. Denise and Cindy were wishing someone had a video camera. Thought we might get kicked out of the hotel before check out time, Cindy was laughing so hard!!

Made lots of new friends, greeted lots of old friends. Mike and Rick, stay away from Cindy at the next IBI. She doesn’t need to drink with you guys!! :D

Thanks everyone for making this such a good ride. Houston thanks you all and appreciates the participation from the other chapters. San Antonio and Austin – we’ll be ready for the Fall IBI!!!

[ August 15, 2004, 21:19: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

rtbain
August 16th, 2004, 03:49 AM
I was part of the smaller group that elected to ride the route backwards. We rode without incident until the 33X loop. While there was a little trash on the road and some construction our group found it enjoyable.

One of the better/worse parts is you get to see more wildlife on 336. We saw cows in the road, a group of wild turkeys crossing the road and numerous vultures feeding on carrion. On this day there was a bit too much wildlife.

About a mile south of the 336/41 intersection I saw a deer on the right side of the road. Deer make me very nervous because they are unpredictable. As I approached I tooted my horn in the hopes of getting her to move away. I also began to slow just in case.

She turned away from the road as I neared. As I came abreast she changed her mind and darted out in front of me. I hit just in front of her rear legs. My first thought was, s#$!, I am going down. Luck was with me and the bike managed to run over the deer while remaining upright.

I slowed and pulled to the roadside to check myself and the bike out. By this time the rest of the group came into view and stopped to see what was up. They thought I had pulled over to make sure they made it past the deer. It wasn’t until the smell hit them that they knew the real story.

The deer was disemboweled on impact. This made sure she had a merciful death. The downside is this also sprayed deer do over the right side of the motorcycle and myself. Most people would be disgusted by this event. I was so happy about surviving the encounter unscathed the smell was unnoticeable. My companions assured me that there was a pungent aroma.

Pictures were taken. The deer was removed to the roadside. We continued on but everyone seemed to keep a little bit more space between themselves and me.

Deer do roasting on the exhaust system smells like victory.

Ivan
August 16th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Berta and i want to thank Chris, Cindy and and all the Houston folks for putting on a great ride. Even though we didn't participate in the organized ride ( flat tire forced us to return to SA for replacement) :( we returned for the socializing and dinner. The restaurant choice was excellent and affordable, and as always everyone was very friendly. Berta got the last blue girly hat and she loves it. Randy, the check is in the mail :D . On a side note, if you ever need tire help with your scooter, don't bother with the Harley people on I-10, if it's not a Harley they won't touch it. Thanks again, if you ever need a place to stay in SA, give us a call.

needforspeed2
August 16th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for a good time ! Although, I didn't make the ride because of Family obligations, I was able to make the evening socializing and that was a ball. Thanks to all for putting up with my kids, they really enjoyed themselves !

[ August 16, 2004, 08:18: Message edited by: Lance Reynolds ]

Oskar_Z28
August 16th, 2004, 07:56 AM
This was a fun weekend. Weather was perfect. Thanks Chris for organizing the whole deal. It was fun riding in Gary's "fast group". At some point we decided to call this ride "Longer than Hell", rather than "Hotter" due to some incidents with the tires. We were chasing the other guys around all day long, and finally caught a glimpse of them as they were coming back from the 55 run.

I had a blast smile.gif . The bike worked great, and now I am even more comfortable with the big liter bike. I ended up riding 450 miles on Saturday, and another 200 miles on Sunday. I saw the Dallas group on 470 sunday morning heading back to Bandera.

Chris, I don't know what you mean by 336 having bunch of rocks? I guess I didn't notice them. I really like that road, especially since it seem so remote, and the cattle guards in mid corners add for some adventureous ride smile.gif .

From my perspective, the livestock/wildlife was minimal, except the goats, and 100 buzzards on one section 337 (what the hell was that?). On the way home around 4:30 we noticed the deer coming out, but that was their time and we took it easy on the way to SA.

Matt, sorry about your crash. You'll heal, and you can get the bike fixed. See, we all had our first crash and you got yours out of the way. smile.gif

James Thomas
August 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks Houston for putting this on. I enjoyed the Longer than Hell ride! :D Hope everyone heals from their incidents and keeps on biking.

Thanks for the chuckle with the trailer incident there Chris!!

Looking forward to the fall ride. :cool: See y'all then!!

Vee4Rider
August 16th, 2004, 04:33 PM
BIG OL' HAIRY KUDOS, HOUSTON!!!!

I had a big blast & it was fun riding with all you Houston liter bike junkies.... :D

Why don't we do this again sometime?? ;) ;)

ST4s
August 17th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I'll add my thanks as well. The Houston "Rather Temperate for an August Day in Texas Don't You Think" IBI was a blast, just like last year. See ya'll next time!

needforspeed2
August 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Oh, Chris and Cindy, Delisa and I owe a big thank you to Lainie for watching our kids whilst we socialized with the adults. Thanks a bunch ! smile.gif

Oskar_Z28
August 17th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Good seeing you Greg. That Italian twin is beautiful. I wish I had one, but I will have to satisfy my need for speed with the rice burner smile.gif See you next time.

Chatterbox
August 18th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Lance, no problem with the kids. Lainie and Amanda think your boys are a blast. Of course, they like your daughter, too. But it was fun to them to see twins playing. (The girls are easily enterained!)

rick jarvi
August 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks Houston!! Oh, thats right, I'm here near the Heights! Anyway, besides my friiiickkkken rear tire, the IBI was great! Big thanks to David P. for use of his R1....glad to keep your bikes battery charged up for you anytime, David!

P.S. San Antonio fall IBI will be here in no time!

StuartR
August 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Had a great time starting with the ride out to Kerrville led by Randy. Very nice ride and a good lunch and the "Bowling Club" in Blanco.

Thanks to Chris for leading a good ride the the Hills. Excellent route selection and a good pace!

Looking forward to the next one already! :D