PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo account $$$$ due

The Big Spank Daddy
August 16th, 2004, 09:02 PM
I need an E-vote for $20 to continue our Houston Yahoo email account. Vote ends Friday night at midnight. A simple yes or no is good enough.

I vote yes.

Chatterbox
August 17th, 2004, 05:55 AM
I vote yes.

AaronEustace
August 17th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Didn't know we had one. Pls explain what the Houston chapter uses it for and if it's accessible to all members. THX.

Yes, I was an auditor for a while ;) .

Oskar_Z28
August 17th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I'm with Aaron. What is the purpose of the address?

Brian Montgomery
August 17th, 2004, 08:18 AM
The purpose is for potential members to email the officers since they cannot post on the board. To me, I don't think it is really needed. I feel that those people that are interested could either go to a meeting, or go to a SMR to get more details or to build a webpage on how to join the club...etc. Unless there are some examples on the benefits, I vote no until otherwise.

[ August 17, 2004, 09:18: Message edited by: Brian Montgomery ]

tankmonkey
August 17th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I vote yes.

Oskar_Z28
August 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I see no real benefits for something like that. I agree with that. The vote from me is "no".

AaronEustace
August 17th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I vote 'NO' too.

CalamariKid
August 17th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I vote yes.

I agree that this may not be the best method for allowing non-members to contact, but until a replacement is found I think we need something.

AaronEustace
August 17th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but I have a yahoo e-mail account with 100MB of storage for FREE, NADA, ZILCHO!

Look, I don't oppose an e-mail address but why is ours $20 when they can be had for FREE !?!?!?!?!?!?

Is no one going to answer this question? :confused: :mad:

[ August 17, 2004, 13:51: Message edited by: wd40oz ]

Oskar_Z28
August 17th, 2004, 10:14 AM
How about a website with the meeting locations and times and ride locations - as Brian suggested. It's a vote and majority will rule smile.gif

Linda Tupper
August 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I vote yes

Paul Sonderfan
August 17th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Oskar_Z28:
How about a website with the meeting locations and times and ride locations - as Brian suggested. It's a vote and majority will rule smile.gif We already HAVE a website. The only restriction on it is that they can't post. They can still view everything. Why can't we just have a "contact" link on this website so they can get additional info if needed? Hmmmm, $20 or free.....? Tough one!

[ August 17, 2004, 14:31: Message edited by: Paul Sonderfan ]

Sean Smith
August 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I know when the account was first opened Yahoo mail was free with 4MB. It was $19.95 for addtional space. Probably whats happening is that we could get a free 100MB account, but the tsba_houston@yahoo.com would not be available. Might be caught by "da Man". $19.95 buys you 2GB of storage.

Tough one, I have faith in Chris and I think he's looked at all viable options. I vote YES.

Brian Montgomery
August 17th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Actually, this was created by Randy not Chris some time back. Maybe Randy can shed some light on it as to why we need to pay for the account. We don't need any aditional space on the web. It isn't like we are storing information and pictures up on the yahoo account.

As for the webpage, we can just add a page to our existing website. No real big deal...not like it is something major.

Chatterbox
August 17th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Like you guys said, the Yahoo account is used to forward e-mails to the President-at-the-time.

Lots of people send e-mails regarding joining, what kind of rides (two up, single, length, etc.), and sometimes just to find out things like where the photo of Houston was taken.

If there IS a way to put an icon to direct e-mail WITHOUT having to show the President-at-the-time's personal e-mail address, then go for it.

You can't just say "If they really want to join, they'll come to a meeting or an SMR." Most people want to speak to someone to get a feel for the group - which is often much different than their perspective from reading the BBS and the Houston chapter page.

Just my opinion.

The Big Spank Daddy
August 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM
As for the not answering part, I do not have email or BBS abilities from work. So I cannot answer until I get home.

Iím not sure why it is $19.95. Aaron, how about shining some light on how you get a Yahoo account for free? My personal Yahoo account sure isnít free.

I get many emails through the account every week. Probably about 10 or more just wanting info about joining. Several a week about different rides (99% cruiser stuff). Simple info about the club, such as the guy wanting to know where the Houston web site pic was taken. I had several inquiries this week about the type of gear required for our rides.

The main purpose of the Yahoo account is to ďscreenĒ incoming emails. I personally do not want the whole world having access to my personal email. Sure, from time to time I post it on the BBS, but you have to look for it pretty hard to find it if you want it. The other reason was what happens when the primary contact changes? With the Yahoo account it can be forwarded to who ever we want, when we want without changing the main contact email address.

All in all, it really doesnít matter that much to me. Iím just thinking ahead for the guy who will be taking my place in a couple of months.

VFRacer-R
August 17th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I vote "yes".

[ August 18, 2004, 08:54: Message edited by: Boogity Boogity ]

rtbain
August 18th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Sorry for the delayed response.

I vote yes.

The paid account was set up so the officers could do mass mailings. You can't do that with a free account. At least you could not at the time the account was set up.

In addition to the reasons already stated the paid Yahoo account does not send out advertisements with the mail. No since spamming our own members.

The thinking was to establish a permanent mailing address separate from the officerís personal accounts.

If you have never had to build and maintain such a mailing list it is difficult to understand just how much a pain in the *** this can be. If the officers did it from their person email account the list would have to be rebuilt every time we changed officers.

I think the convenience of reaching all Houston chapter members is well worth the cost of $20 per year.

I do not mean to sound grumpy but itís easy to say ďNoĒ when you donít have to do the work. Often what seems so simple and easy on the surface makes work for some poor slob. Getting a new email address takes time.

Updating the web site with new email addresses takes time. And no itís not hard. But you need a static IP address to do it. If you donít have a static IP address you have to do command line uploads to the server which takes a LOT of time. To save myself time I spend an extra $5/month ($60/year) for this static address.

So please, give the current and future officers a break. Spend the $20 for the account to make a difficult job just a bit easier.

[ August 18, 2004, 04:47: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]

WFO
August 18th, 2004, 04:37 AM
The current setup works and is convenient to keep. $20 is not much scratch. I vote yes.

Schreck
August 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I vote YES to spend the $20.00 for the year!!!
Thanks Randy for breaking it down for us... tongue.gif

tmtaz21
August 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM
After reading Randy's post I vote Yes.

Jim Trimm
August 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
I vote yes.

StuartR
August 18th, 2004, 11:40 AM
After furhter review, I vote YES.

VKlohn
August 18th, 2004, 11:51 AM
My vote is yes.

However, we should look into getting this account set up for free. My hotmail account is for free and I believe Yahoo is offering an account for free also. Not sure how much effort it is to change the web-site's email address though ....

ganderson
August 18th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I vote Yes

Paul Sonderfan
August 19th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Si!

AaronEustace
August 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM
OKAY, that's everyone! Let's kill this thread and write the f'n check already!

Sincerely,
Sore Loser!

P.S. Now that Randy explained it, I secretly think it's a good idea but would never change my vote due to thickheaded pride. tongue.gif