PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to change fork oil

Oskar_Z28
August 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I need to do this quickly. Any special tools needed or is it as simple as this?:

I take forks off, unscrew the top, get the spring out drain the oil fill it with new ....

Does anyone who's done this want to supervise / advise me sometimes this week?

AaronEustace
August 17th, 2004, 03:35 PM
It's easy! Do just what you've mentioned but measure the fork oil level without the spring before you go dumping it out if you want to keep it the same. When removing the spring some of the oil will stick to it making your reading low. The best thing to have is the factory settings found in the manual. If no access to a manual, measure then add a couple of mm. What you're doing is really creating an 'air-gap' for the forks to compress against.

If you want, come over some night this week and we can do this.

Brian Montgomery
August 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Depends on standard forks or inverted forks. I got the tools for inverted forks. And yes you need the tools!

AaronEustace
August 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I'm assuming these are for the F3 which will be attending the trackday. Shouldn't need any special tools for those...conventional design and all.

Sean Smith
August 17th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Brian, I'm going to Randy's Saturday. Can I borrow your "tool" :D

Brian Montgomery
August 17th, 2004, 04:03 PM
What is going on over at Randy's place this weekend? And No you cannot borrow my tool!...lol

Sean Smith
August 17th, 2004, 04:05 PM
He's been nice enough to build a tire changing machine for us. I'll ship it back to you or you can get it when we meet up in Arkansas.

AaronEustace
August 17th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Bring a flat-bed if you ordered the Bain-Bead-Breaker! tongue.gif That thing is huge but can handle anything from a wheelbarrow up to a Peterbilt.

VFRacer-R
August 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Brian, you and Aaron are both wrong. There is a much easier way to drain the fork fluid. Allow me to elaborate.

Go to TWS. Exit the carrossel "faster than normal" whilst clipping turn 10 curbing on an early apex. After the lowside, a cartwheel or 3 will occur, thus *grinding the fork preload/damping adjusters off.

*Make sure the bike lands on the TOP of the forks, landing on the bottom results in an uneventful, undramatic rolling effect and all of the other effort will be in vain.

So, get with the program and do it the "cool" way like I did!