PDA

View Full Version : Howdy folks- an introduction

Keith Shaw
November 9th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Howdy-

My name's Keith, and I actually stumbled upon this group after filling up at the Bulverde Diamond Shamrock a few sunday's ago. I talked with James for a bit before riding off, and have been wanting to go riding with y'all and meet some more members ever since.

Maybe a little background on me will help out. I'm an automotive research engineer out at Southwest Research Institute over on the NW side, though I live very close to the Bulverde station where a lot of the rides start. I graduated last year from UT-Austin with a chemical engineering degree, and have messing around with Mustangs and cars in general for quite some time.

I'm pretty new to bikes though, having bought my ZX-6R just over a month ago. I've been seriously addicted ever since, and have been having a blast just riding around, getting familiar with the bike. Still very much a novice rider, and I'm trying hard to keep my dumb *** from getting into stupid situations with it ;)

I'm going to try to make this weekend's SMR as long as James doesn't change the meeting place once he sees I'm coming smile.gif Lookin forward to meeting everyone.

Inlaw1
November 9th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Hey Keith! Glad to have you on board. I was also at the DS the other Sun. when you gassed up. I remember asking James "who was that squid?" <J/K> smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith Shaw:
trying hard to keep my dumb *** from getting into stupid situations with it ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Then stay away from Brad! smile.gif And for that matter....me to!! :D

Actually we have several folks in our group that over time have developed a sense for when someone is over their heads / limits. Or are exhibiting some trait that may need working on as far as handling. In other words, we've worked with new riders quite a bit before so we may have some advice to help you if your open for it.

Then again, you may just stuff us all into a corner and spit us off showing us what's what! :eek: smile.gif

C'ya Sunday!

wardsweb
November 9th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Hey Keith - Welcome

I spent 10 years at SwRI and my wife is a petroleum chemist in Div3. Do you know Barry Westmoreland? He is also at SwRI in Div3.
If there is one piece of advice I give new riders it is: "ride your own pace smile.gif ". This is not a competition and there is no reason you should feel uncomfortable with the speed while riding or pressured to keep up :eek: . No one is going to give you any grief about being careful. Better to be last and ride another day than end up hurting yourself or your bike :mad: . Not to mention, someone else.
OK, my 2 cents :D

Luther Ward
2000 Blue/Silver HMF Busa smile.gif

BarryW
November 9th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Welcome Keith. I've been at SwRI 14 years (**** I'm getting old). I started in div. 08 and now am a Sr. Res. Engr. in the Engine Design section of div. 03. My current street bike is a 2000 Hayabusa, but my current dirt bike ('90 KDX-200) has seen to it that I won't get to ride it for awhile due to a broken ankle sustained at a MX track a few weeks back. There's another engineer over here who just started riding on a 600 Katana and is working toward being able to do a track day in the upcoming months. Like Luther said, ride your own pace AT ALL TIMES, your skill will develop with experience just like anything else in life.

James Thomas
November 9th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Hey Keith,

Glad you found us!!

I've been riding for 1.58333 Years. The last .58333 years with these yahoo's. I went from a novice to a **** good novice in that amount of time. Still learning.

A great group of riders, all of varying ability. Ride your ride, ask any question, stay away from Stoops or he'll grab your ***, and all will be just fine. ;)

See ya sunday.....we won't change it....or will we :rolleyes:

JJTX
November 9th, 2001, 05:20 PM
....... Yeah you gotta watch these guys :D I've only been with the group for a short while, and have only made one SMR and a Labor day ride, but everyone seems to ride their own pace, and don't hesitate to wave someone by thats behind you that you know rides faster than you, especially when it gets twisty, I'm more than happy to hang out at the back, to keep my bike in once piece, and to not **** off the guys that really like to lay their bike down in the corners, since they all know these highways better than their own genitals. :eek:

Todd Hoffmaster
November 9th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Keith,
Welcome to the group. I hope to see you on upcoming rides and at our meetings, too. One of the things to remember, too, don't worry about what the other guy rides when he/she does blow by you. Some bikes are better in the mountains than others and some are awesome on the straights. But, SV650S's rule :D

Keith Shaw
November 10th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys. Just got back from riding out with a friend this morning, and looking forward to tomorrow's ride.

Barry and Luther- great to see some other Southwest or former southwest folks on here. Barry, I've heard your name mentioned before in regard to bikes, but haven't had the chance to meet ya yet. I work in Div 8 over at the emissions lab. The guy I was out riding with this morning, and who will likely be at tomorrow's ride as well, works in Div 3 over in Bldg 151. He'll probably chime in here shortly as well.

See y'all bright and early tomorrow smile.gif

Inlaw1
November 10th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Barry, I've heard your name mentioned before in regard to bikes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And in regards to civil disobedience....namely those pesky speed limits! :D :D
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

JJTX
November 10th, 2001, 05:13 PM

See y'all bright and early tomorrow smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bright and ' Squirrly ' ya mean! :D :D :D

If you ever wanna run later in the day, just give me a holler, I dont normally ride before 1 or 2pm smile.gif

BarryW
November 12th, 2001, 09:10 AM
works in Div 3 over in Bldg 151. He'll probably chime in here shortly as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who were you going to ride with: Chuck, Corwin, Brian? We have a pretty good contingent of riders in the division. Stop by some time and chat, I'm "trailer trash" across the street and down the hill from 151 (directly across from div. 08 bldg. 156).

Chris Chadwell
November 12th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Barry, all of you guesses were wrong. Its was me (Chris Chadwell). I just got my bike last week, so you can add my name to the already lengthy list of riders in the Division.

Chris Chadwell
'02 R6

BarryW
November 12th, 2001, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Chadwell:
Barry, all of you guesses were wrong. Its was me (Chris Chadwell). I just got my bike last week, so you can add my name to the already lengthy list of riders in the Division.

Chris Chadwell
'02 R6<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, welcome aboard. I'm not hobbling to 151 if I don't absolutely have to, so you get your *** over here (Tr.68) to chat sometime! :D

Oh yeah, and quit surfing the net during businesss hours. BAHAHAHAHA

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Barry Westmoreland ]