PDA

View Full Version : Rocksprings Group

needforspeed2
November 11th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Hey, I met a group of guys from the valley this morning in Rocksprings.They were staying in Bandera and had come up 55. Three of them got stopped for doing 98 in a 60 MPH zone. One of them had his bike impounded because he didn't have a License or Insurance. They said they had been running 130-150 just before they were stopped.

bobby robbins
November 11th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Good thing they didn't get tagged doing 130-150. How was the ride today?? I sure missed riding with you guys.

Inlaw1
November 11th, 2001, 05:40 PM
My first thought is, what took you to Rock Springs?? Other than doing 55, I know no reason to be there smile.gif. Sorry to hear the guy got impounded, but seems he may have been asking for it. :(

Bobby, the ride was most awesome today! Even with the threat of rain on the radar, which several members saw and still came out, we had like 15 bikes on the ride including two brand new riders. Some old regulars that we have not seen for a while were out also. Bernie with Lauren riding pillion and Rick Z on his RC made the show today! smile.gif And thanks again to Rick for buying everyone B'fast in Comfort! YEA! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/biggthumpup.gif

The weather held off and it turned into one of those Texas days you live for! Most excellent riding today. Lot's of traffic out though. Must of been the Holiday weekend (Veterans Day). We went up north to try and hook up with some guys from Austin. Only Chris from Bastrop showed, so Reyndog (James) and Runninhorn....YOU GUYS MISSED IT!! smile.gif

It was a great ride. Except for that oil slick on the Hwy 16 mountain south of Kerrville. Both Todd and I experienced front end pushes that were NOT fun! It pushed so far that I thought I was going down, finally the tire grabbed some traction. Jesus! I HATE it when that happens!

Oh, and one of the new riders dropped his bike on 337 in one of the slower corners. Slow speed wash. He was on the ground before he knew what happened. I'm not sure he even bruised himself. Broke some plastic, but the requisite broken mirror that happens when you low side didn't even occur. And then later coming into Bandera some car pulled right out in front of him. He handled the panic braking just fine. But it was close! I'm not sure his shorts handled it well. :eek:

Great day! Great weather! Great ride! Great people! Great fun! Be sure and be there for the next ride one and all!!

Over and out.

SCOTT MEEHLEIB
November 11th, 2001, 05:42 PM
We ran into that guy in Rocksprings as his buddy was dropping him off with his helmet at the gas station. He was waiting for his girlfriend to come with a truck so he could get his bike back. I had seen that group in Leaky this morning and stopped to talk to them. When they told me they were going to 55 RS I told them about the constable that hangs out between Barksdale and RS and told them to take it easy and check it out first. Guess they didn't listen. When we went through he was at the picnic area at the bottom. We were being careful and didn't get stopped. I guess we missed all the SA TSBA guys on 337.

Take care,
Scott

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: TEXANBPA ]

SCOTT MEEHLEIB
November 11th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Hey Gary,
guess we missed you guys. I had a great time today riding with a couple guys from SA. I figured we'd see ya on 337, we were out there for at least 2-3hrs this morning. Maybe next time. Sounds like you had a good ride except for the minor accident.

Take care,
Scott

James Thomas
November 11th, 2001, 06:25 PM
6:20 PM, I just got back from my SMR :(

Unfortunately Keith crushed one of the tubes on his radiator in the lowside. Just out of Bandera she overheated and started spewing.

I rode back home to pick up my F150 and headed back out for him. Chris (Bastrop) stayed with him and helped us load the ZX6R into the truck. Dropped it off at Keith's place. He is gonna do all the work himself. He is good with tools.

Thanks for the help Chris!!!!!

Thanks for the chow Rick :cool:

wardsweb
November 11th, 2001, 06:53 PM
:( Sorry I missed it, but have been home sick for two days. I hardly ever get sick, so when I do, it really bites. There is always next week.

Luther Ward
2000 Blue/Silver HMF Busa

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: wardsweb ]

needforspeed2
November 11th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Yeah, i know there ain't much out in Rocksprings, but my brother and I are fortunate enough to have a small ranchito between Rocksprings and Sonora. Man it was fine ! This morning's hunt was probably the best I've been on in a long time. I watched two does, an 8 point, two seven's and a six for about two hours. They were too pretty to shoot ! Maybe later in the Season. :D Yeah, but I sure missed my SMR with you guys. My brothers told me to shut up about the TSBA, they were tired of hearing about it ! So when i saw those Gixxers and that Ducati at the King Burger, i had to strike up a conversation. They were with the South Texas Sportbike Club from McAllen. Seemed like real nice guys. I don't think the guy that got his bike impounded was part of their club. They had mentioned that they had met him in Bandera. They were in awe of the roads around here, seeing as how all of the roads in the Valley are straight and flat. Good thing they didn't try and ride 337. :eek:

Barron
November 11th, 2001, 08:27 PM
:(
You guys are making me seriously homesick !

:( :( :( :( :(

Chris S.
November 11th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Warning: cage content!

I hope I didn't have anything to do w/ the police presence in Rocksprings today. Yesterday, a couple of friends and I did the IBI route (minus the Lake Travis loop) in 3 S2000's. We made it to the tree on 55 just before dark, and didn't think it would be a great idea to go home blazing through the twisties...so we decided to head to Kerrville via Rocksprings.

Well, seeing as how we were a good ways from home, in the middle of BFE, and didn't want to waste all of Saturday night driving, we picked up the pace, comfortable that there weren't likely to be cops out there. Needless to say, I think my average speed between Rocksprings and Kerrville was a "little" higher than average for one of our Hill Country runs.

After refueling in Kerrville, we stopped in Fredericksburg for some grub. Heading back to Austin on 290, we were hit by instant-on radar and were graced w/ the opportinity to chat w/ one of DPS' finest. When he came back to hand me a souvenir of my bad behavior, I asked him how fast he'd clocked me (he wasn't very talkative). He said 88, which was quite a bit slower than we'd been going earlier. ??? He said they'd been looking for us ever since Rocksprings, where they'd been receiving calls. He also wrote us up for no front plates, which no cop has bothered me about in 15+ years . Even scarier, they had a DPS stationed on 281 in Johnson City waiting just for us...he was parked in the median, and got on the freeway behind me after I passed by. The same thing happened to my friend when he came by later (I'd decided it was best to separate by then, since it's hard to travel in stealth mode w/ a trio of yellow, red, & silver S2000's & their HID lights). It seems like they were pissed about catching us for such a minor violation, and were hoping to tack another one on.

Looks like I'll have to take DD for this one. Normally I like to fight tickets, but I have a feeling they'd put up quite a fight to make this one stick. :(

We also chatted w/ the gas station attendant at the larger Exxon in Leakey. He mentioned that they're getting fed up w/ EMS having to work OT peeling people off the roads (his words), and that DPS has undercover cops working 337 at times.

Overall, it was a great (but long) day, and the driving was lots of fun ex. for the cruise from Fredericksburg to Austin!

Inlaw1
November 11th, 2001, 10:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEXANBPA:
Hey Gary,
guess we missed you guys. I figured we'd see ya on 337, we were out there for at least 2-3hrs this morning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo Scott! We made it out to 337 around 1pm. Stopped in comfort for some grub as everyone was getting hungry and we knew it was going to be a long day. Sorry we missed you, but glad you had a good time! There's always the next time! smile.gif

Inlaw1
November 11th, 2001, 10:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAT KAT:
6:20 PM, I just got back from my SMR :(
Unfortunately Keith crushed one of the tubes on his radiator in the lowside. Just out of Bandera she overheated and started spewing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh heck! Sorry we ran off and left you guys. I thought you guys were just holding back on speed. Maybe that Keith was a little gun shy after all. I didn't notice everyone wasn't with us until Pipe Creek. Our group basically turned into a track day on the ride back, I just figured the guys that weren't with us didn't want to ride the pace we were running. That Jim Olson guy was on fire! smile.gif

Sorry your day got long James. Been there, done that.

James Thomas
November 12th, 2001, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:

Sorry your day got long James. Been there, done that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Major reason why I ride in a group dude. smile.gif

Pay it forward Keith!! :cool:

Todd Hoffmaster
November 12th, 2001, 04:59 PM
It was definitely one of my better riding days. We had a great time pretty much all day until the unfortunate happened, atleast it was a slow low side. Didn't even tear his Draggin jeans. I need a pair of them for my wife to wear when we're doing the 2up thing.

It was a perfect weather day, but there were a lot more cars out there than normal. I tried to stay true to my no passing on the double yellow, but some of them cars that were putting along at 15mph - what's a guy to do?

I really like my Bridgestone BT020's, only slid them twice and that was while chasing a 929... Maybe the wife will buy me a bigger bike for X-mas ;)

The newbies (4 of them) did really well in riding with the group and they are all welcome to become members of our TSBA chapter. Especially for the 5 day old R6, owner. Can I take it for a spin over the mountain? :D

Scott Rich
November 12th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Sorry guys, when I noticed the three of you had fallen back, I figured pretty much the same as Gary did. The thought that Kieth's bike had suffered a delayed reaction didn't even sink. Hat's off to James and Chris for stickin' with Keith.

Inlaw1
November 12th, 2001, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd H.:
Maybe the wife will buy me a bigger bike for X-mas<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's all we need. Can't hardly keep up / shake you when your on the SV. Todd on a liter bike and he's GONE! smile.gif

Todd Hoffmaster
November 12th, 2001, 06:19 PM
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/roflmao.gif
Watchit I'm gonna get a big head.
I guess the SVS isn't too small since we never ride over 80mph, anyway. http://www.plauder-smilies.de/lach.gif

Inlaw1
November 12th, 2001, 07:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd H.:
I guess the SVS isn't too small since we never ride over 80mph, anyway<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Huh? I think maybe you need to check your speedo bud. smile.gif

Todd Hoffmaster
November 12th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Oh yah! Well you ask miriam how fast I ride and she'll tell you "He never goes over 80 mph like the rest of you do" hah!!! :D

Don't say it - "you got a radar detector, don't you?" It's just there for the bad cops who just don't understand us - motorcyclist. hahaha