PDA

View Full Version : Christmas eve ride

Scott Rich
December 23rd, 2001, 10:25 PM
So who's up for tomorrow.? 10:00 am at the usual spot?

Inlaw1
December 23rd, 2001, 11:20 PM
So far I'm planning on being there. I believe James is going also.

wardsweb
December 23rd, 2001, 11:36 PM
I'm going to try. My back brake is spongy and not all that useful, so I'll try bleeding it in the morning again. Not that I ever use the back brake. Hey! I never use the back brake, what am I worried about? Other than I hope I haven't forgotten how to ride, after all these weeks. See you around 10:00. smile.gif

JJTX
December 24th, 2001, 08:42 AM
BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It better start warmin up awful quick! 38'F!!

Inlaw1
December 24th, 2001, 08:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe P.:
BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It better start warmin up awful quick! 38'F!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! Yea, we're going to find out who the real men are this morning! :D Remember, we're not supposed to leave until 1030, so you don't really have to leave the house until 1000 as it's only a 30 minute ride out there.

Electric heat Joe, it's a God send! BTW, was that you in the gas tanker on Park Road 37 phuggin up our ride yesterday??? Can't ride with us so you mess up our ride?? I couldn't believe that dolt was going down PR 37 instead of just going up to Pipe Creek and over (he was delivering the station at the end of PR 37).

JJTX
December 24th, 2001, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:

LOL! Yea, we're going to find out who the real men are this morning! :D Remember, we're not supposed to leave until 1030, so you don't really have to leave the house until 1000 as it's only a 30 minute ride out there.

Electric heat Joe, it's a God send! BTW, was that you in the gas tanker on Park Road 37 phuggin up our ride yesterday??? Can't ride with us so you mess up our ride?? I couldn't believe that dolt was going down PR 37 instead of just going up to Pipe Creek and over (he was delivering the station at the end of PR 37).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:D DUDE, I'm browsing electric vests RIGHT-NOW!!!! And there will be one at my door in a couple weeks.

Nah, I dont think i'd be going up 37. Mainly because of that turn where everyone crashes their bike. WOuldnt it be smarter to go down by the texaco station?

I'll be there! All be it no sooner than 10:25! smile.gif Imma Freeze my *** off today.

Inlaw1
December 24th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Joe, put on all the layer clothing you can. Long underwear, long sleeve shirt, glove liners, wool socks over a pair of regular socks. Wrap a scarf around your neck. I'll bring one if you don't have one. A baclava for the head helps tremendously also. Put a rain suit over everything. I wear the bottom half of my suit to keep the wind from blowing through the cotton jeans and long johns I wear. I don't care if it's that yellow rain slicker you have from work, wear it, it will help block the wind.

James Thomas
December 24th, 2001, 09:46 AM
I'm gonna be there. And I thank Todd everytime I plug in my 'lectric vest.

What's the line on keeping the hands warm. I've heard latex gloves, but tried that last year and they didn't seem to work (Latex gloves under my normal riding gloves)??

bvia
December 24th, 2001, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAT KAT:
What's the line on keeping the hands warm. I've heard latex gloves, but tried that last year and they didn't seem to work (Latex gloves under my normal riding gloves)??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try getting some of those neoprene gloves WalMart(REI, etc) sells to fishermen/hunters. I have a pair I stole from Ken Cyr while riding back from the '99 IBI. Just above freezing and my hands did fine. They have a rubberized palm and inside fingers and are naturally curved like a regular biking glove.
hth,
bill

James Thomas
December 24th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Scott - where the heck was ya?? We waited till just after 11am for ya!! :rolleyes:

Anyhow - as has become our custom, another great ride. I had a blast riding with Stoops, Chris (R6), Joe (R1 night working dood), Dunham on his Connie and Luther on the Busa. All I gotta say was I was humbled twice today. That Connie (more so the pilot) sure does scoot along :D and that dadburn Nissan P/U on the sweepers on Bandera. I was doing a $1.10 indicated and that bastige was right there in one of them long right handers :eek: I talked with him at a light on bandera. Cool guy, even apologized for coming into my lane (I waved him over, so no foul's)

Thanks again guys!! Have a great Christmas and hope the weather is decent for the 30th.

Hasta Pronto!! :cool:

thanks Bill, I'll take a look at em! ;)

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: SAT KAT ]

JJTX
December 24th, 2001, 04:11 PM
smile.gif Great Ride. Finally got to go with da gang before the year was out! :D :D The rest of the pix are at the bottom. SATKAT- You ride a lot quicker than when I first rode with you in the spring smile.gif I'll still never get used to 337, just something about blind hairpin's with wrecked trucks....

http://www.cornbread.com/~gig/r1pics/12-24-01/1.jpg
http://www.cornbread.com/~gig/r1pics/12-24-01/2.jpg
http://www.cornbread.com/~gig/r1pics/12-24-01/3.jpg
http://www.cornbread.com/~gig/r1pics/12-24-01/4.jpg
http://www.cornbread.com/~gig/r1pics/12-24-01/5.jpg
http://www.cornbread.com/~gig/r1pics/12-24-01/6.jpg

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: Joe P. ]

Inlaw1
December 24th, 2001, 04:21 PM
What's the line on keeping the hands warm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a pair of cotton glove liners that work great. Latex is good for rain, that's it.

James Thomas
December 24th, 2001, 04:27 PM
I have a pair of cotton glove liners that work great. Latex is good for rain, that's it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I picked up some silk liner's and they worked fine today. No numb finger's. I was worried this morning that they wouldn't hold up to the cold, but they did. Now if I get some of them neoprene jobs I can see doing some 35* rides.

Inlaw1
December 24th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Scott - where the heck was ya?? We waited till just after 11am for ya!! :rolleyes: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea Mr. Rich! Where was ya??? I got one word....MEOW!! :D

Despite the cool weather we had a good turnout. It was good to see Chris, Luther and Gary out for the ride. Especially nice was to see Joe P make a ride! Thanks for braving the ccccoollddd!!!

And James, I'm not sure I'd admit to being stuffed by a Nissan with a big ole work camper / bed cover on the back! smile.gif

And what was with that Concours rider? Couldn't shake him all day! :D

James Thomas
December 24th, 2001, 04:38 PM

And James, I'm not sure I'd admit to being stuffed by a Nissan with a big ole work camper / bed cover on the back! smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I ride a Katana, I've got thick enough skin :D That dude was plain nuts driving that thing like it was a Vette. :rolleyes:

Scott Rich
December 24th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Dang, I'm sorry you fellas delayed your departure for me. I REALLY shoulda showed up, especially since I started this friggin' thread redface.gif ! I've got no credible excuses. Truth is(as Gary deduced), I "meowed" out. All the recent postings about 'lectrified garments got me to thinking a little too much about freezing my pachotas (Spanish sounding word I just invented, meaning; huevos, cajones, or balls). Is the electric stuff really that good? I always just kinda assumed the warmth remained localized, but to hear you guys, it sounds like it keeps you warm all over excluding the digits. Even before you answer that, I'm gonna start looking this week! Any tips on a good deal? A bazillion apologies for making y'all wait!

JJTX
December 24th, 2001, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Rich:
Dang, I'm sorry you fellas delayed your departure for me. I REALLY shoulda showed up, ? A bazillion apologies for making y'all wait!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say we make him wash all our bikes.

tongue.gif :D ;)

Inlaw1
December 24th, 2001, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Rich:
A bazillion apologies for making y'all wait!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh hell Scott, we're just busting your pachotas dude! Trying to make you feel guilty for getting the rest of us out on a phuggin ccooollddd morning! smile.gif Guess it worked. :D

As for the electrics, I always wondered about the same. Don't they just keep you warm localized? What the electric vest does is keep the center mass of your body warm, and the blood that circulates to the arms and legs is warmer. It keeps you from getting chilled. Once chilled you just always feel cold. If you can ward that off then you never really feel cold. However, the colder it is, the less effective the vest is. So far it is effective down to 40* with the gear I've been wearing. And above 55* there is no need to turn it on. The vest itself is a good insulator / neck protector even when it's not turned on.

You still need other cold gear such as cold weather gloves, or liners. A baclava for the head / face. Long underwear under the leathers or jeans, and like I do, something to block the wind from blowing through cotton jeans. Like the bottom half of the rain suit. And I wear wool socks over a regular pair of socks. My finger tips and toes are usually the only thing that really get cold now that I have the electric vest.

Scott Rich
December 24th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Ok ya bastages, I feel guilty! So, of you folks who have 'em, is your electric gear Widder? If so, which model, and did you purchase locally?

James Thomas
December 24th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Hey Scott, I like that word. Pachotas. :D

Yeah, in truth, our good friend, mentor, ride leader and spokesperson, Gary Stoops, was a few minutes late. After his mocha- frapaccino-pachota-full-fat-latte and a coffin nail, it was around 1045. By the time we all got our layer's of gear back on (and gary having to remove it all to get ear plugs in his ears and stopping several times to cinch his chin strap) we finally left a bit after 11.

I have the Widder vest. Has the heated velour collar (best feature IMHO). Also came with a gigantic thermostat. I played with it today and finally figured it out. I also have silk glove liner's and silk balaclava and they work awesome. Silk is thinner and lighter than cotton. Worked fine for today. I also wore two pairs of socks (and my boots are wet with sweat) long johns, jeans, and textile riding pants. The only thing that was remotely cold were my fingers, but not really cold. :D

I bought my Widder from Alamo off their clearance rack. $89. Last set tho. Look at spending atleast $125 unless you can find some special. I looked all over the place online and the Alamo clearance sale was the best bet to be had.

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: SAT KAT ]

Inlaw1
December 24th, 2001, 10:35 PM
There are basically two manufacturers you would be interested in. Widder (http://www.widder.com/index.html) which both James and I have and most of the other TSBA folks that use electrics have. Or Gerbing Heated Clothing (http://www.gerbing.com/) which some of the DFW guys use.

James is right that the Widder vest will run you around $125, give or take, depending on whether you want the thermostat version like his, or the one with just the on / off switch like mine. I always thought I'd want the thermostat one, but after seeing how friggin big the thing is I decided to try the one with just the on / off switch. I find I either want it on or off and the switch is easy to reach. The thermostat has to be stashed somewhere and I don't think it would always be easy to reach.

The Gerbing stuff looks neat in that they have whole heated jackets. And they will also heat anything you have. Worth checking out. However, for as little as we here in South Texas will actually use heated clothing in relation to our riding I'm not sure the extra cost of a heated jacket is warranted.

Hey James, where did you find the silk glove liners? The cotton liners I have are not that thick, but are thick enough they do stretch the gloves out a bit. Thin silk ones would probably be better but I've never seen them.

Brad Orvis
December 25th, 2001, 12:14 AM
I get a catalog called "Winter Silks" they have the silk liners, baclavas, long johns, etc. Pricers for the liners are about $10.00. Next catalog I get I'll pass along.

Brad Orvis
01R1

James Thomas
December 25th, 2001, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Orvis:
I get a catalog called "Winter Silks" they have the silk liners, baclavas, long johns, etc. Pricers for the liners are about $10.00. Next catalog I get I'll pass along.

Brad Orvis
01R1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that's where I got them from.

Click here for their website. (http://www.wintersilks.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=4&dept=16)

Inlaw1
December 26th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Ok, thanks for the web site, my next question would be did you get the silkwool, or spunsilk liners?

Brad Orvis
December 26th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Spunsilk

James Thomas
December 26th, 2001, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Orvis:
Spunsilk<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
2:2, Yup I got the spunsilk ones.