PDA

View Full Version : Lance hit a deer on 1376

wardsweb
January 7th, 2002, 06:05 PM
This is from an email to me from Bill Bessonette:
Lance Reynolds was riding with me yesterday and hit a deer on 1376.He suffered some broken facial bones and a ruptured liver was all they had known for sure last night when I left the hospital.His wife is there with him and he should be alright. Let everyone know so that they can pray and offer words of support for him and his family.Thanks.

breeno
January 7th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Wow, hang in there Lance ... heal up quick man!

James Thomas
January 7th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Oh man. Do you have the hospital information??

Hope that's the worst of it Lance. Jenny and I will pray for ya.

Weave
January 7th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Is this the same person who's wife just arrived home with a newborn? How did he get out of the house for a ride one day after junior gets home?

Todd Hoffmaster
January 7th, 2002, 09:51 PM
It's the guy who's wife just came home with twins, the day before.

What is their phone number, so that we can check on Lance's statis and to see if his wife and children need any help. I'm sure that she's in no physical condition to lug 3 children around to and from the hospital, HEB, etc...

wardsweb
January 7th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Here is a post taken from Bad Weather Bikers:
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/4062/10512.html?1010461215

Lance Reynolds aka Needforspeed2 hit a deer today on the way back from uckenbach,Tx. I just left the hospital,his wife(who just got out TODAY[what timing!]after giving birth to twin boys)is there by his side.He is in critical but stable condition with(known thus far) a ruptured liver and some broken face bones.He was following me back from what WAS a nice ride when two deer appeared in front of us in our lane.I barely made it between them and I guess spooked the second one into jumping right in front of him hitting his bars and taking him off the back.Lance and the deer slid a little over 100' before coming to rest in the roadway while his bike continued on 600',passing me as I stopped and
not stopping until it had gone up a grassy hill,hitting a fence.Luckily(!?!) a DPS trooper was chasing us and was able to summon immediate help.Let's all pray and offer some words of support for the Lance clan,shall we?Even if you don't know him.
Lance,my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,brother.May you have a speedy recovery and your newest additions to the family live long and healthy lives.

Bill satx

wardsweb
January 7th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Man this REALLY SUCKS!!

University Hospital
4502 Medical Dr.
S.A.,Tx. 78229-4493
he's in room #1069

wardsweb
January 7th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Will someone let the Reynolds know to please call on me if they need anything. I've only known Lance for a short time, but I consider him a standup guy and a friend.
Home 590-7663 Work 402-9669

Luther Ward

houstonsportbikeriders
January 7th, 2002, 10:26 PM
****, I really hate to hear that about anyone! I have only met Lance once, on our last trip to the Hill Country. He was one of the stand-up San Antonio guys who braved the rain with the Houston Scooter trash. Send him our best. I'll keep him, and his family, in my prayers.

Inlaw1
January 7th, 2002, 11:13 PM
This really bites! Could not be worse timing. Just FYI, the twins were premature as they expected them to be and are still in the hospital for probably another month to gain wieght and are doing fine.

I'm with Todd and Luther, we need to make sure Delisa's needs are met during this time. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you Lance for a speedy recovery, and with your family.

F1
January 8th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Sad news, hope fast recovery for Lance. What time did the accident happen, evening feeding time usually starts after 3:30p these days.

JJTX
January 8th, 2002, 01:51 AM
****. Not quite the story you wanna have to tell the kids when their older!

I dont believe I ever met him, but dosent matter, if his wife needs help with anything, I'm in. I'm off Sunday and mondays, if I can help with anything.

ReyndoggYZF
January 8th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Oh no.... :(

Best wishes to Lance for a speedy recovery :(

BarryW
January 8th, 2002, 09:07 AM
This sucks. :(

I remember thinking how much of a trooper his wife was showing up at the Christmas party in her third trimester. Has anyone spoken to her yet to find out if there's anything the club can do for her?

RC51
January 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
I had the pleasure of riding with Lance on our last excursion to the Hill Country and found him to be a great guy and rider. I am truly saddened by this news. You S.A. guys make sure you take care of him and his family. Sounds like he needs friends and family more than ever. If anyone goes to visit it would be cool to print out this thread and let him know that we're all praying for him and wish him a quick and full recovery. God bless.

Inlaw1
January 8th, 2002, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barry Westmoreland:
Has anyone spoken to her yet to find out if there's anything the club can do for her?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't know, but I'm going out to the hospital today. I will try and get a chance to talk with Delisa then and let her know we are available.

James Thomas
January 8th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Lance, here is a message from Chris Sanchez, our track day photographer :D

That sucks :( . . .Lance (and family)- best wishes for a quick & healthy recovery.

CS

James Thomas
January 8th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Folks,

Update on visiting hours:
He is in Surgical ICU.

Take the "D" Elevator, not the A Elevator like Jim and I (after waiting 10 minutes to get on, then another 5-6 to get back on after discovering we were in the wrong wing) We missed the visitation times by about 15 minutes :( .

Hours:
1030-1230
230-430
730-830

Inlaw1
January 8th, 2002, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAT KAT:
Folks, Update on visiting hours:
He is in Surgical ICU. Take the "D" Elevator, not the A elevator<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Correcto-mundo! I was lucky enough that Rick Z called right before I left to go out there and gave me this info as he had just been there.

When you enter the main entrance of University Hospital go straight until you see the above sign pointing to all kinds of places including "Elevator D" to the right. Once there go to floor 10 (Lance is in room 1069). When you get off the elevator on 10 there is a set of doors you need to go through that were locked. Had to pick up the phone on the wall to the left and tell whomever answered who I was there to see and they unlock them.

Can't say exactly how he's doing. He was sorta concious, drifting in and out when I was there. He knew who I was, but not what had happened to him (not unusual). He has the usual hook ups to him for heart, blood and respiration, the catheter's etc. So it's not real pretty, but I think he's doing pretty good. Like I said, he knew me and was able to communicate with me, he understood what was being asked and would try to answer. It's just a bit hard to understand him. He's what the nurse calls "combative". Trying to get out of bed and moving about quite a bit while drifting in and out. I spent most of the time trying to get him to lay still, the onery cuss! smile.gif

I was hoping to run into Delisa but she was not there, so I left a note to her to contact us (Gary, Todd, Luther) if she needed anything, or help with anything. I'd still like someone to contact her, anyone have thier phone number?

As James says, the visiting hours are limited.
Hours:
1030-1230
230-430
730-830

Oh yea, and they only allow 2 visitors at a time.

tiller
January 8th, 2002, 08:16 PM
That Sucks about Lance!!! Do eather him are his wife have family in the area? If not what can me and my wife do to help? Are door is open!! Has anyone considered taking up a collection for his family? Please let us know!!! Lance dude get well soon its no fun without some buells to play with smile.gif

James Thomas
January 8th, 2002, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TillerNutt:
Do eather him are his wife have family in the area?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that they both have family here in town. I believe Delisa's folks live near them. We spoke about this at the Christmas Party, Jen and I giving our take on likes and dislikes of not having our folks near. This is definately an example of why it's nice having family around. smile.gif

Hang in there Lance!

Kerker
January 9th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Best wishes, I hope Lance has a full and speedy recovery.

arpad
January 9th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Extremely sorry to read the news about Lance. Told my wife about it last night and everyone here at the shop today. Everyone here is aware of the situation and we all have Lance and his wife in our thoughts and prayers. smile.gif

Arpad Schoffer
Business Manager
El Campo Cycle Center
SV650Y

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Arpad Schoffer ]

Todd Hoffmaster
January 9th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Here's the latest update as of 8:30pm on Lance's condition.
He is under sedation, as he likes to get combative and pull the IV's out. That's actually a good sign. The liver is lacerated, but the amount of blood in the body cavity has not increased. He has a small contusion to the brain and they will be giving Lance CatScans daily to check on that. He has a crushed sinus cavity, obviously from where the deer trid to go thru the visor. There are a couple of scuff marks on the left hand and right knee and thigh. The leathers did a tremendous job, as did the helmet.
Lance is sitting in an upright position in a chair and not the bed. He wiggles his toes and grunts when you talk to him. All good signs smile.gif
That is all I have for now. I will probably wait to see him again after the ICU, when he do a Barron and throw up on me. :eek:
Delisa was with the babies, but we did meet his mom, a very nice lady and she is in good spirits. A very nice person to talk with.
That's all for now,

bobby robbins
January 9th, 2002, 10:53 PM
We went to see Lance tonight. He looks good considering what happened. The ICU staff are taking good care of him. Lance's mom is a real sweetheart and of course she's worried. We didn't get to see Delisa.

Lance, this for you my fellow Buell rider.
HANG IN THERE BROTHER!!! Our prayers are with you.

Delisa, if you guys need anything please let us know and we're there.

Scott Rich
January 16th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Anybody have an update on Lance's condition?

Inlaw1
January 16th, 2002, 10:38 AM
From what Todd said at last night's meeting nothing has changed much, still in surgical ICU. He was combative enough they had to restrain him. But they put him in a chair, so he's sitting up in a chair anyway. I'm going to try and get by this week.

TLRMike
January 16th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Suzanne and I are very sorry to hear about Lance. I realy enjoyed meeting and riding with him on our last trip to the hill country. We wish him and his family well.

Todd Hoffmaster
January 16th, 2002, 09:11 PM
An update on Lance,

I just talked to DeLisa and she says that Lance is doing great and on a quick road to recovery. His liver has repaired itself, the concussion is clearing up, no major bone damage, no major muscle damage, he has feeling in all the extremeties, but he does have a little fluid in the right lung. The right lung was bruised when the liver was lacerated from the impact of the deer.

The leathers and the helmet did their job and the DPS officer could not believe that he was alive after the collision with a deer at 80 mph. Lucky for Lance, the DPS officer saw the whole thing happen in front of him and immediately called for the Air Life.

DeLisa asked that only immediate family be allowed to visit with Lance while he is in SICU. Lance gets aggitated when friends come to see him in his current condition. So please hold off on visiting him until I give out his new room number. DeLisa says that as soon as he is moved to the new room, she would like for all the TSBA members to visit with him. So please wait for my next post.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Todd H. ]

Scott Rich
January 16th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Thanks Todd. My thoughts and prayers continue. So far, I've only ridden with Lance twice, but look forward to many more... as long as one of us carries a siphon hose or a gas can ;) .

houstonsportbikeriders
January 16th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the update Todd, sounds very encouraging.......

Todd Hoffmaster
January 17th, 2002, 07:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HSR Dude:
Thanks for the update Todd, sounds very encouraging.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is. DeLisa had a delightful voice the whole time that I talked to her. So there are no hostilities toward bikers/biking at this moment :cool:

I will have another update on his condition early next week.

James Thomas
January 17th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Thanks Todd.

I had the hospital gift shop try and deliver flowers to brighten up the room, but they don't allow this in ICU. So hopefully they will make a new arrangement for when he is in the recovery room.

Hang in there Sir Lance. Sounds like you are doing well. Continue in that direction. http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

lbuenaonda
January 17th, 2002, 09:48 AM
How is Lance doing? the last post was on the 9th and he was doing fine! Just wondering.

Thanks,

Jorge :confused:

Todd Hoffmaster
January 17th, 2002, 05:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd H.:
An update on Lance,

I just talked to DeLisa and she says that Lance is doing great and on a quick road to recovery. His liver has repaired itself, the concussion is clearing up, no major bone damage, no major muscle damage, he has feeling in all the extremeties, but he does have a little fluid in the right lung. The right lung was bruised when the liver was lacerated from the impact of the deer.

The leathers and the helmet did their job and the DPS officer could not believe that he was alive after the collision with a deer at 80 mph. Lucky for Lance, the DPS officer saw the whole thing happen in front of him and immediately called for the Air Life.

DeLisa asked that only immediate family be allowed to visit with Lance while he is in SICU. Lance gets aggitated when friends come to see him in his current condition. So please hold off on visiting him until I give out his new room number. DeLisa says that as soon as he is moved to the new room, she would like for all the TSBA members to visit with him. So please wait for my next post.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Todd H. ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jorge, glad to see you on the list. How's the carb cleaning coming along? Try a bottle of Gunk Carb cleaner, not the spray. Let your carbs soak in the solution over night and then use an air copmpressor and blow out all the varnish. Don't try and blow too hard as small carb parts might come flying out, too.