PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's wreck...

Keith Shaw
January 12th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Well, after changing the oil on both our bikes this afternoon, Chris and I decided to go out for a short ride to try riding each other's bikes (we've both had them for a while, but had never got around to trading for a ride). Never would have guessed a short ride would turn out like this...

We were riding north on Bulverde, and were taking it pretty slow since we were on unfamiliar bikes (though we both know the road quite well). We had just passed the Evans light, where we stopped for a quick chat on how different the bikes felt, and were coming up to a gradual right hander just past a bridge. We were probably doing right around the speed limit (45 or so) with Chris leading on my bike, and me following maybe 50 yards back on his bike.

As Chris goes through the corner, I see the bike start to slide out from under him, and down he goes. I have this image stuck in my mind of him rolling down the middle of Bulverde, tumbling over and over again, while the bikes slides off the road and proceeds to do a couple midair flips as it showers plastic parts everywhere.

I quickly find out why he went down, as I hit the same oil slick that he went through. I think I was already ready for something by this point, and as I felt the rear of the bike slide out, I compensated with the bars and gave it a little gas. It stayed squirrely on me for a few more moments, then straightened out. I pulled the bike over the road, having to move it once because I couldn't find a spot where it seemed to want to stay on the sidestand, and by this point Chris was already walking back towards me. He hopped up pretty fast for a guy who just went tumbling down the road ;) He told me he was searching for words to explain to me how this could have happened, but I already knew the reason.

The cops/friends/family showed up shortly after that, and we were able to walk back to the corner and find out that, yes indeed, there was a ~4" wide, 20-30 ft long oil streak down the middle of the lane. And it was slippery enough that if you put your foot on it, you couldn't put your weight onto that foot without almost falling down. Slick stuff... :mad:

Here's two of the pics I took after my mom brought my digital out to me. This one is the bike as it sat after coming to a stop.
http://agt.gamedaemons.net/Wreck/wreck2.jpg

And this one is what the right side looked like after we stood it up
http://agt.gamedaemons.net/Wreck/wreck1.jpg

Luckily, I think Chris is gonna be OK, though he can post how bad he feels tomorrow after it all hits him. I'm sad to see the bike go out like this, and I really enjoyed riding it for the couple months I had it. I'm sure it'll be a while before I'm able to get something else and ride again with y'all. I'll keep ya updated on how everything goes.

Take care...

wonderdawg
January 12th, 2002, 08:52 PM
With as much oil as there is on that rear tire of the Kawasaki in relation to how much there is on the front, looks like someone forgot to torque down the oil plug or oil filter. :(

Back in 95, I had a ZX-6R which had something break in the engine. Heading over an overpass on 183 in Austin, the bike got squirrelly. When I stopped, oil was all over the back wheel.

Fortunately, since I had it in the shop the day before complaining of knocking noise, KHI rebuilt my motor free of charge.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: mike benson ]

Todd Hoffmaster
January 12th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Sorry to say this, but I think Mike B. is right. Have you checked your site glass to see how much oil is still showing in your bike?
Do you have full coverage insurance? Does Chris?

Chris, get well soon. Keith, get a bike soon. smile.gif

Will you guys be at the meeting on Tuesday?
It's membership dues time again :eek:

Keith Shaw
January 12th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Sigh... I think he's right too :( All the oil spilled out when it cracked the engine case, but the most telling sign is that the oil plug is gone :( :( I hate to say it, but I can only guess that I didn't torque it down, and it vibrated out while we were riding. I certainly don't see how the accident could have taken it out...

****, I feel like the world's biggest ***. What a moronic thing to do when you've been working on engines as long as I have.

Gah...

wardsweb
January 12th, 2002, 09:36 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about this. I think it bears repeating that bikes can be replaced but body parts and friends don't come so easy. I'm glad Chris wasn't hurt bad. Ya'll take care and we'll keep a place for ya.

Inlaw1
January 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Well **** Keith! That bites all to hell! Mistakes happen, and we learn from them. Like Luther said, important thing is everyone is OK. You know, Chris probably could get your bike covered on his insurance, depending on just how good a friend he is smile.gif.

Or maybe it can repair easier than you think. Did you crack the engine cases? Or just the clutch / alternator cover? Some fiberglass bodywork, I know a guy that fixes dented tanks. Hey, your back on the road!

I just changed my oil today....think I'll go check that plug one more time. :eek:

wonderdawg
January 12th, 2002, 10:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd H.:
Do you have full coverage insurance? Does Chris?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually Chris's liability insurance should cover it, since he was riding Keith's bike.

Isn't that how it works, Mr. Stoops? ;)

Chris Chadwell
January 12th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Hey, its me. And look at me, I'm typing with two hands. One's kinda sore though, so any misspellings aren't my fault. :D

It did suck to hit the ground. It was a real ego smacker to think I was just riding along and then I'm tumbling on the ground. Its a little releiving to know that at least it was something that even experience couln't of stopped. I'll chalk this one up to the experence lesson and check every drain bolt on every bike I get on from now on.

I've got a sore hand, two scraped knee's, two scraped ankles, and a scraped back. But all in all I think I'm doing all right. My helmet's trashed, but it saved what's inside it (and we all know that the inside of my helmet is a lot more valuable than the inside of all yours ;) ). My jacket and gloves have battle scars.

Its kinda fun. My mom and fiancÚ get to act all meternal and take care of my cuts. See ya'll guys when I can twist the throttle again.

CHRIS

Inlaw1
January 12th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, I have a friend of mine in Houston I started riding with, do Ark with every year, ex racer, been riding forever. He borrows another good friends BMW RT1100 for a short ride one evening and rounds a bend on Clay Rd and what's in the middle of the road that he could not see because it was dark? Someone's gallon oil jug of 10W-40 spilled all over the road. Like you Chris, he had no idea what hit him. SMACK! Next thing he knows he's on the ground, bike in the ditch.

BTW, his libility insurance covered it. smile.gif Oh yea, and glad your OK dude! Soak up the nursing all you can. Today is nothing. The soreness will set in like concrete the next couple of days. :(

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Gary Stoops ]

tiller
January 12th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Dudes that SUCKS!!!! I to have hit the road,I got hit from behind on my 86 wideglide (yes that is a Harley) In the bed for two weeks. With nothing to do but read bike mags when it was time for my new bike I know it was the R6. So dont let it get eather of you down and please dont let this hert your friendship!!!
Hope to see you guys on the road again smile.gif
TillerNutt

James Thomas
January 12th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Caca pasa dudes. Glad you are relatively okay there Chris. Sorry to see the Ninja like that Keith.

Get well, get a new ride, and keep on riding.

:cool:

JJTX
January 13th, 2002, 04:36 AM
DOH! OW OW OW.... I dont normally tourqe my drain, but uhmm...Dunham, Break out the tourqe wrench for tomorrow!

You know, its photo's like that, that makes me go into a blind corner a little less agressive than I Could.

Inlaw1
January 13th, 2002, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe P.:
Dunham, Break out the tourqe wrench for tomorrow!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea, I dunno about that. I never torque mine either. So this time I was going to. I don't think my Crasftman torque wrench is very acurate down at the meager 22 ft lbs it's suppose to torque at. It really felt like I was going to strip the thing out. It doesn't take much you know. I just used my old tried and true method of feel with a standard ratchet.

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Gary Stoops ]

James Thomas
January 13th, 2002, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
It really felt like I was going to strip the thing out. It doesn't take much you know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh boy do I know. redface.gif

Inlaw1
January 13th, 2002, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAT KAT:
Oh boy do I know.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't feel bad James! I know more than one folk that have done it. Heck, Brett up in Austin stripped his out, trying to loosen it! :eek: smile.gif

Todd Hoffmaster
January 13th, 2002, 08:15 AM
You full faired bikers have that catch basin that waits for the most opertune moment to release the oil :rolleyes: Us, half faired guys don't really have that problem. We should be able to tell when we are leaking oil much sooner :eek:

I was thinking about this after I posted my last bit and Chris should not have to use his insurance to fix Keith's bike, as it was owner error and would have happened to him if they would not have traded bikes. I lost a friendship when my friend took my race bike out and then practiced doing wheelies at the mall and then wrecked it. That bike was my future and it all went away when the insurance company wouldn't replace the bike in time for the Grand Nationals at Road Atlanta. No bike, no race, no expert plates, and no future as a road racer :(

zman
January 13th, 2002, 08:26 AM
OUCH!!!!!

Well at least you guys are alright. Now you`ll have some time to modify that margarita machine. Does it have any bolts or nuts to it?

Too many bad things here lately.

Some may have jinxed the club.

We need some voo-doo **** to get rid of all the bad luck!!!

Chris Chadwell
January 13th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Todd,

The drain plugs are normally accesible without taking the plastic off. There are cut-aways that allow oil changes. You just have to take off the plastic to get to the filter.

CHRIS

bobby robbins
January 13th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash. I know it must be hard seeing your baby looking the way it does. Glad you guys are OK.. :D

Vinny
January 14th, 2002, 06:37 AM
kinda looks like my 95 when I got it back from the thieves... glad you're both alright. I hate to see a 6R smashed up. What are you going to do with it?

Brett
January 14th, 2002, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
Heck, Brett up in Austin stripped his out, trying to loosen it! :eek: smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, that whole looking at it upside down thing got me once. That and my typical approach to problems. "Don't want to come loose eh? Fine! I'll just get a bigger wrench and show you who's boss!"

BarryW
January 14th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Wow, this sucks. But as others have stated, the MOST important thing is that Chris is okay. Keith, I'm sure you feel like any of us would, but take it as a lesson learned. It's probably little consolation, but you'd feel a helluva lot worse if you'd also dumped the R6 and/or Chris got hurt.

FWIW to everyone on this board: safety wire and pliers cost about $30 and prevent **** like this from happening. These are high performance machines with buzzy engines, we typically push them hard, and the consequences of leaking fluids is certain disaster. In most instances it is avoidable.

...stepping off my soapbox now

Chris Chadwell
January 14th, 2002, 05:39 PM
I'm thinking that safety wire idea is a really good one right about now. The feeling of total helplessness as I rolled down the street is plenty of incentive to put a little extra time into securing important fasteners.

CHRIS

Inlaw1
January 14th, 2002, 08:57 PM
You full faired bikers have that catch basin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well actually on most full faired street bikes I know, there is no basin underneath the bike. Mines pretty much all open except for at the back, under the shock. Most race body work kits are built with catch basins though.

I was thinking about this after I posted my last bit and Chris should not have to use his insurance to fix Keith's bike, as it was owner error and would have happened to him if they would not have traded bikes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Uh, yea, me too. I was just goofin with my reference earlier redface.gif