PDA

View Full Version : Barron Haake Update

wonderdawg
October 1st, 2001, 12:12 PM
For those of you who may or may not heard, Barron Haake (pictured here sitting on his yellow vfr)

null http://www.tsba.org/san_antonio/images/bhtwo.jpg

was injured in a motorcycle/truck collsion on Saturday, September 29, 2001.

For additional details, follow the link to the Sportbike.net forum in regards to this incident.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25863&pagenumber=1

Vinny
October 2nd, 2001, 01:40 AM
Well, it sounds like Barron survived the kamikaze attack adn I'm glad. I had a chill on my spine for a moment or two.

Ona lighter note, I notice Dave Pittman has brought his wife out of hiding now that I have left the country. What the hell's up with that? I wasn't serious about the abduction stuff! Not completely, anyway...

Youze guys take care of eachother - I need riding buddies when I come back to the world and I like the ones I already had.

jason rodis
October 2nd, 2001, 08:35 AM
I just read the posts and Barron get better soon. on a nother note I had almost the same wreck a coule of months ago not as severebut my bike was stuck under a Isuzu SUV and my head bounced off the bumper. If I wasnt in full gear I wouldnt be here typing right now. so rember no mater how short a ride rember always wear your gear.

Todd Hoffmaster
October 2nd, 2001, 08:21 PM
I think that another thing to remember NOT to wear, would be sunglasses. I never really thought of them as being a weapon against us, but you are putting metal/plastic frames and glass/plastic lens inside the helmet.

Barron is looking/feeling better, I guess. He threw up on me today http://www.plauder-smilies.de/puke.gif
Must have been the hospital food :eek:

This is one way to get Barron to stop smoking. If he can not smoke for a week, what's to say he can't stop forever?

Bikes are fun - Lung cancer is deadly!

JJTX
October 3rd, 2001, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd H.:
I think that another thing to remember NOT to wear, would be sunglasses. I never really thought of them as being a weapon against us, but you are putting metal/plastic frames and glass/plastic lens inside the helmet.

Barron is looking/feeling better, I guess. He threw up on me today http://www.plauder-smilies.de/puke.gif
Must have been the hospital food :eek:

This is one way to get Barron to stop smoking. If he can not smoke for a week, what's to say he can't stop forever?

Bikes are fun - Lung cancer is deadly!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heal up quick Barron!

I wore sunglasses in my helmet for a while knowing it could possibly ruen my day. I use a shield-sak now, and don't think its any safer, since you basically wear the shield as a sling, and the shield around your midsection, which could injure you in a wreck.

Ditto on the cigs, I quit a couple years ago. Best thing I EVER did. Heck thats **** near a tank of gas in the bike and 130miles! smile.gif

Vinny
October 3rd, 2001, 06:55 PM
I'm not so quickly convinced about not wearing glasses - maybe CHEAP SUNGLASSES. I have to wear them and regularly wear sunglasses when I race. Granted, they aren't cheap (RayBan Carbon) but they took a 90+ MPH tumblefest attached to my Charlie Brown head adn I still wear them today. I think that a properly fitting helmet is a vital part, too. Gary wears glasses (not that he should be displayed as a role model but definitely as a research model or case study) and he has wrecked just about more than anyone I know, so he can tell you abtou wearing glasses...

But anyway, glad to hear the Barron is puking and doing weller. Is he being good to the nurses?

Inlaw1
October 4th, 2001, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cuzzin Vinny:
Gary wears glasses (not that he should be displayed as a role model but definitely as a research model or case study) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's a study that would rival any Government study that cost's millions, has no apparent purpose yet changes our social structure in unseen ways. Don't go there.. smile.gif

and he has wrecked just about more than anyone I know<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH! PULLLEEESSEEE! U git out here round eye!! :D

so he can tell you abtou wearing glasses...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can tell you I have not experienced any problems with glasses in helmets and falling down. I agree with VinMan (someone mark the calendar!) that a properly fitting helmet is important. But in the wrong circumstance I can see where glasses of any kind could be detrimental, as in Barrons case.

Being one who has to wear glasses all the time for correction and anytime I'm outside need sunglasses, it's been a problem for me. The ones that change from dark to light never get dark enough for me. I use polarized lens's so I can't wear sunglasses when riding as the light waves get all messed up looking through shields with polarized lens's and give rainbow effects and you can't hardly read any of the new LCD display's on bikes now a days.

So I use a dark smoke shield during the day and it works great as a replacement for sunglasses. For me it actually takes away any need for sunglasses. So I'm curious as to why more folks, like you Vinny, don't just use smoke shields during the day instead of a clear shield with sunglasses or even sunglasses under a smoke shield? This just doesn't make sense giving the fact that glasses under a helmet run the risk or further injury.

Comments?

bvia
October 4th, 2001, 12:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
So I use a dark smoke shield during the day and it works great as a replacement for sunglasses. For me it actually takes away any need for sunglasses. So I'm curious as to why more folks, like you Vinny, don't just use smoke shields during the day instead of a clear shield with sunglasses or even sunglasses under a smoke shield? This just doesn't make sense giving the fact that glasses under a helmet run the risk or further injury.

Comments?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd hazard a guess and say they don't use dark smoked shields because of the problem I (and you) might have. Ride out in sunlight, get stuck somewhere and end up trying to get home at night, with that shield. On a moonless night it's hard as hell to see anything, esp. in an urban enviroment(****ed sodium lights)!
bill

Brett
October 4th, 2001, 03:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
I use a dark smoke shield during the day and it works great as a replacement for sunglasses. For me it actually takes away any need for sunglasses. So I'm curious as to why more folks, like you Vinny, don't just use smoke shields during the day instead of a clear shield with sunglasses or even sunglasses under a smoke shield? This just doesn't make sense giving the fact that glasses under a helmet run the risk or further injury.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer sunglasses simply for two reasons. One is that the tinted/mirrored sheilds aren't dark enough for me all on their own, sometimes I'll even combine sunglasses with a tinted sheild. The other reason I like sunglasses is I can open my visor when at slower speeds and still have eye protection. I even have some clear "sunglasses" for night riding. The sunglasses also serve to keep the wind (even inside the helmet) from blowing into my eyes too much.

As far as worrying about the extra injuries that the sunglass may play a part in, well, if I were really worried about things like that I probably wouldn't ride motorcycles. Given the speeds we usually run in our already dangerous sport it's interesting to hear you calling people out for wearing sunglasses because they could be dangerous. Just sorta strikes me as a bit off....

Inlaw1
October 4th, 2001, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
it's interesting to hear you calling people out for wearing sunglasses because they could be dangerous. Just sorta strikes me as a bit off....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brett, are you trolling again? smile.gif I'm obviously not calling anyone out. Just asking a question. But nice try at hitting a button buttmunch. tongue.gif

wonderdawg
October 5th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Good news. Barron went home Thursday night. He's walking and talking. Still has limited use of both arms, but at least he's out of the hospital and well on the road to recovery.

Thanks for the prayers and support.

Mike