PDA

View Full Version : Intercom systems

edyama
December 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM
As of right now I have a motocomm system which is grate when it was new. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions of a newer better system ( not chatter box ) that might be out there..

Brad Felmey
December 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
J&M. You might get better responses if you post this in the General forum.

StexFJR
December 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Might try these guys Eddie

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/baehr/baehr-intercoms.htm

KOCook
December 31st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Autocom and StarCom. Usually boils down to who got what deal when they were making their purchase. Both have a strong following and there are several posts about installation on the web.

I have Autocom (best deal at the time). If using bike-to-bike, will recommend that you either get the PTT switch (need both the switch and the unit-side connector) rather than rely on the VOX feature. VOX works best with Kenwood radios.

scout
January 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
I picked up a couple of motorolas from mikeN and a headset from fryes worked great for bike to bike plan to add a mix it thing so I can run my ipod thru it as well

The Big Spank Daddy
January 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
I have the Chatterbox system and I'm not impressed. Expensive, poor range, vox poor and not very reliable. I got so fed up with them that I finally removed them from our helmets and just put them back in the box.

143LRSD
January 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
I have the Chatterbox system and I'm not impressed. Expensive, poor range, vox poor and not very reliable. I got so fed up with them that I finally removed them from our helmets and just put them back in the box.

So I guess that means you don't want another because mine is sitting in it's box as well. I really haven't seen anything that really works well for all of the gadgets that I want to hook up to it. There is always a trade off, at least that I have found, between being able to talk back and forth or listen to a MP3 player.

2WheelTiger
January 2nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
I plan to add a mix it thing so I can run my ipod thru it as well

I got a nice schematic for a mini mixer off the internet. Probably gonna build one myself. I like this one because each input is adjustable and the output is amplified. (Allowing you to run battery powered audio gear at very low volumes to extend battery life.)

Vee4Rider
January 2nd, 2007, 02:55 AM
Andre, I don't see a priority override for any of the inputs in the circuit diagram.

2WheelTiger
January 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Nope. It's just a mixer, and mono at that, so you'd have to parallel two circuits for a stereo rig.

I'm using the Scala Rider bluetooth headset for the cell phones. While it would be possible to rig the bluetooth back thru the mixer, I intend to operate it independently on the helmet.

So, stereo inputs like an mp3 player will get mixed with paired mono inputs from an FRS radio and a talking nav system. The screamer output of a radar detector could be plugged in there too. Wanna hear the old lady talk? This mixer can probably amp enough to do it, but passengers aren't a priority on my scoots, so I haven't considered it much.

For simplicity sake, I'll probably just install a mute button on the mixer. I can hit it when the phone rings and answer the phone if I choose. Real world, this is how it gets done in the cage and casa.