PDA

View Full Version : New toy

Brad Felmey
August 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Not nearly as neat as some on here (AMBER!), but I intend to have just as much fun with it. :yippee:

ZedX
August 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
You need lead SMR's on that thing. No more tickets!

NathanH
August 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
You need lead SMR's on that thing. No more tickets!

Yeah, but maybe Brad shouldn't run sweeper with that thing. Someone might forget that he's back there, glance in their mirrors and have a heart attack. Or worse, the leaders might find themselves getting passed at warp speed by said mirror-glancer. :na-na:

Congrats, Brad. Should be a hoot!

2WheelTiger
August 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Brad, quick story.

I went riding with a bunch of sportbike guys in SoCal one weekend. I was on my 04 FJR.

Every time one of those squids looked in the mirror, he had a stroke because there was a "sit up" on his azz. Time and time again, one of these guys would chop the throttle and sit up, then realize what he'd done and whack the throttle again. Remember, squids have no memory, so they didn't just do this once, they did it every time they checked their six.

Just sayin' give yourself some room for those throttle chops peeps will be giving you. Congrats on the new scooter. You gonna wear a funny hat with that?

Brad Felmey
August 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Funny hats and funny bikes. :D

Wait 'till I sneak up on some squid outing and hit the siren. :lmao:

2WheelTiger
August 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Just make sure you're wearing your "funny hat" helmet.

Can you just glue one on? (or at least the tassle?)

Virge B
August 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
So is this replacing the ST for now?

bjhughes
August 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
You really do buy some strange "sportbikes".

Is there still a siren on it ? With news around lately about imposter police, be careful how you use that thing.

Roseknight
August 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
:eek: Man is that thing dirty :P
just look up under the fender and the underside of the fairing and tank.. oh man.. scrubbing for weeks.. I think that will cost you more then one shirt.
:lmao:

**** now I'm gonna have to find me one too.. :yippee:

:applause: :thumbsup:

attractive female drivers on the west side of DFW best watch out
:mischief:

oh and I bet Jimmy still has the materials to cover the pursuit light holes..
(just get red and blue led bulbs to put in):mischief:

Brad Felmey
August 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Siren - yes.

I already found the one-piece lights that are clear lenses with red & blue LEDs for the strobes. :)

Yeah, I'll go through several toothbrushes and a whole lot of Q-tips by the time this sucker is clean. (sigh)

Brad Felmey
August 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Not replacing the ST, just adding to the stable.

DJN
August 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
What year is it Brad? I have two KZ motor's sitting in my shop. Well, three if you include the dragbike motor. Maybe we need to slide that baby in there and see how she handles...

2WheelTiger
August 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
......and see how she handles...

Like the great wallowing pig it was designed to be...... :D

Remember, in that generation, Kawasaki brought the 'tank-slapper' to a new (and much higher) level. One could even say that KZ's and GPz's were the pinnacle of tank slapper development.

(For you younger folk, modern bikes get a bit of headshake sometimes and it's generally controllable by a steering damper. Tank slappers started at the front fender and ended at the tail light. They often started when travelling in a straight line, and they often resulted in S shaped skid marks from the front tire (in a generally straight direction) until the rider was ejected. Kawis were as famous for this then as GSXRs are now for squid ownership.)

Brad, can you still buy tires that skinny in a motorcycle shop? :D

DJN
August 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, it would be a tank slapper indeed. Ever ride a KZ1000-TC? Talk about a rubber frame.

Although, I think the pinnacle of the tank slapper was the Kawi H2 two stroke triple...

2WheelTiger
August 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Raced a GPz 750 Turbo and a GPz1000 briefly back in HI.

When I'd power up the turbo at the end of our sweeper, it'd flex like a 10' section of PVC pipe. People were amazed I could stay on it. It was like when litle kids ride sheep.

They don't make bikes like they used to. I say "Thank god!"

Brad Felmey
August 3rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
It's an '02.

I'm sorry to hear about the frame - I was hoping to lead SMRs on it...

Brad Felmey
August 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Tires are readily available, but hella expensive - they're run-flats.

2WheelTiger
August 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Your experience will probably allow you to keep it in check, but the thing will never be as stable as anything with a perimeter frame. When PD's started buying these instead of the more expensive HDs, officers loved the power but hated the high speed weave their HDs didn't have. It seems the fairing and bags put additional stresses on the frame and the ugliness shows up earlier than the stockers. You'll still have lots of fun, but please approach the edge with caution. Learn this monster in baby steps. We like having you around.

Since you got the cast wheels, Dunlop's replacement for the old 591 will work nicely on it. (GT501) Relatively inexpensive, reasonably durable, and fairly sticky.

OMG - I just recommended a Dunlop....:)

DJN
August 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
It's an '02.

I'm sorry to hear about the frame - I was hoping to lead SMRs on it...

Nothing that can't be fixed (somewhat)

Kosman Z1 Frame Brace Kits (http://www.kosman.net/page12.htm) should be similar if not a perfect fit from the police bikes I've seen.

2WheelTiger
August 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Or we could build you a hella "stunna cage" that would also be a hella brace! :lmao: