PDA

View Full Version : hey guys, i need a good machine shop

axeeclipse
December 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
yep, time to rebuild the car so i can turn up the boost :) just dont know of any reputable shops out here. so anybody know of any good engine machine shops down here??? thanks

2WheelTiger
December 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM
How's about if we send your sig to a machine shop and get it cut down to size?

:lmao:

Seriously, what exactly do you want done?

MaseK12rs
December 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I do business with Pan American Machine Shop. They are in Pharr -about a block east of Glick Twins store off Old Exp. 83.

The owner is Domingo. Older gentleman but very knowledgeable. He does all the hi- performance work himself. He also has a Sunnen Electronic Balance machine to balance all the engine internals. He also can weld aluminum.
He has done work for me in the past- 5 angle valve jobs, balance the engine in the corvette, squared and zero deck the block in the 74 Nova.
Just be very specific on what you want done. He is not the cheapest, but the good work never is. If you want a cheap machine shop, look into Thompson machine Shop.

Motor Mart in McAllen also does some fine work.
Motor Mart and Pan American are very big in the Local racing scene down here in the Valley. Call me if you want any more info or if you want to go to meet Domingo together.Cell # 956-342-2631
What work are you looking to have done?

Oh, Domingo also does all the machine work for "Dirty Dave" a very respect motorcycle mechanic here in the valley. His specialty is hot rodding air cooled Harley engines and the like.
Hope this info can be of help.:thumbsup:
Best wishes with your project.:D

TRU
December 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Pan American does fine work you just half to wait like 3 to 4 weeks some times, there ususly very backed up with "priority customers". But its worth the wait.

MaseK12rs
December 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry about the omission. You do sometimes have to wait awhile for the work to be done. If you need it quick, look into maybe Motor Mart in McAllen.

axeeclipse
December 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
thanks guys... im going to be putting in forged rods and pistons along with some new bearings so i can finally turn up the boost on my car. 6psi gets old real fast :) thanks Mase, I'll give you a ring whenever I make a final decision. Im contemplating between buying an already built block but mess with shipping, or just get all the parts i need, get a block from a junk yard and send it to a local machine shop.

edit: in addition to just installing the parts, ill need the block to be cleaned, bored, honed decked and balanced.

TRU
December 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I dont know a bout blocks for junkyards and high amounts of boost... not unless you magnaflux it first. Never know when thoes microscopic cracks are hiding between a water jacket and piston wall.

BIG BADA BOOM...clunck clunck choke......screech................BANG!

MaseK12rs
December 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Domingo at Pan American Machine shop can pressure test your block and heads to detect if they have any cracks and to see if the cores are usable. He did this for my Chevy 454 that I am working on putting in my '74 Nova along with Gabriel Skyjacker air shocks, Micky Thompson tires, Jelly Bean Mags and last but not least an Accel Dual Point distributor!
Should be making around 500-520 HP!:D:D:D

axeeclipse
December 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
ha cool mase! ill race ya, feel the wrath of mah 4 cyl turbo :P sucks all the air away from your nova as i fly by. ha, but seriously, id like to see it when its finished.

edit: oh btw i love old school muscle cars! muscles cars > imports any day. only "import" i like is the eclipse, all else is rice :)

MaseK12rs
December 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the praise Daniel! Everyone should have a car that they are passionate about. I like all cars especially when they can do extraordinary things.
Yes, I really do like muscle cars!
I currently have the following project cars on my hands: Blue 1974 Nova-big block, Red 1974 Nova-smallblock, Red 1969 Chevelle SuperSport-Big Block, and a primer(but is going to be painted blue) 1980 Camaro Z28-small block.
Like the saying goes- "Old Chevys Never Die!- They Just Go Faster!":thumbsup:

oilfieldsteve
December 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hey Mase, when Im passing you up on the Busa, I will like the car to, In my rear view mirror.:na-na:

MaseK12rs
December 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Uh, Steve, what makes you think you will be able to pass me?:na-na:
Don't you know that there is nothing faster than a Chevy!:mischief:

axeeclipse
December 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
im sure Mase might have an unfortunate hic-up that may tragicaly move the steering wheel slightly to the left... :mischief:

MaseK12rs
December 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM
10-4 Daniel!:thumbsup:
your are correct! You win the famous No-Prize!