PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's Welcome!! -Mexico Ride/6 hour ride with 3,000 curves in April

MaseK12rs
January 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
One of our newest members - Ricardo Carreron (rides a ZX14) who is a dentist is planning a ride in Mexico in April.

His friends have been making this run for about 10 years. He welcomes everyone and would like to have as many people make this ride as possible.
We are inviting everyone who can and is interested in making this ride.
The ride is very well organized and we will be riding with people who have made this ride for years and know the areas.
Don't have the exact date but will update with all the information as I get it.
So here goes:
Requirements:
Each person needs a passport or their birth certificate with the long form that is required when traveling through Mexico.
The truck and trailer need a permit each as well as each motorcycle. Permits cost $30.00
Will be getting cost of hotel. And of course spending money and a bike with good tires if not almost new rubber.

1) On a Wed.- plan to trailer bikes from International Bridge to Monterrey Mexico,will meet up there with other riders, then continue to trailer bikes to Durango Mexico. Hotel has secure place for trailers and bikes.

2) Thurs. morning- ride bikes on HWY 40 from Durango to Mazatlan.
Ride supposed to take about 6 hours and have 3000 curves.:happyrider:

3) Stay in Mazatlan till Sun. morning, then return home and should be back to the U.S. by Monday sometime during the day.
We are thinking that about 20-30 riders will be making this ride.
For anyone that has not visited or has had an opportunity to ride in Mexico this ride would be great!:thumbsup:
Will keep everyone posted as new information is available.

jessejgzz
January 14th, 2008, 09:46 PM
That run is called (El corrido de el diablo) or devils back run if not mistaken .FUN FUN!!
Hey mase the trailers can be added to the vehicle permit but the bike is seperate so one permit per titled motor vehicle and you can only have one active permit per person!
Example=Our truck(both names on title) she gets permit(in her name) for truck trailer,
MY BIKE I get permit for bike(in my name)
This is the only way I know of it being done maybe you know somthin I do not????:paranoid:

MaseK12rs
January 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
You stand correct! As I just found out.
A Free No Prize to you!:applause:
Will have to get permit for truck and trailer in one name and get the bike in another. One permit per titled vehicle, and the run is correct the Devils Back.
Are you interested in the ride and could you make it? I know it is far from Houston.
Would really be cool if could have riders from other chapters.:thumbsup:

MaseK12rs
January 15th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Here some pictures of the highway that runs from Durango to Mazatlan areas.

Honda^3
January 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Don't think I can make this (a wee bit far from Dallas). but out of curiosity... what type of insurance could/should one get for such an expedition.

1) would you need liability, theft and collision for the bike
2) what type of medical insurance (just in case)
3) would you want medivac insurance to the US??

ST Mark
January 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
At those altitudes, make sure you have no carburated bikes-fuel injected only. My '06 Honda Shadow 1100 could barely make 80 mph through Big Bend Park(that's why I sold it)
Looks to be a great route-wish I could make it.:(

Mariozx7r
January 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
You guys are crazy. Mexico is too unpredictable these days. The price of tortillas has increased, people are being kidnapped, border wars, Hello, third world country, too risky for me. I've been on that same road with my dad and nobody respects you-two way traffic buses passing on shoulder of the roads, no thanks--- I rather ride in the States. Remember you go down in Mexico- Good luck- you lose everything and insurance will not cover. I pass. You guys are risk takers. Laters

jessejgzz
January 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Been down lately or just what ya have herd ?:confused: I rarely go south of Monterey mx. Just curios not tryin to bust anbodys canicas!

Brad Felmey
January 15th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Andrew,

1) Yes, you have to purchase separate insurance for Mexico
2) Your normal plan will apply, as long as...
3) You get a MedJet plan that will whisk you away to Estados Unidos.

Inlaw1
January 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Would really be cool if could have riders from other chapters.:thumbsup:

You could move this thread to the "General" forum so more folks can see it. ??

R1John03
January 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
You can go to Sanborn insurance to get coverage in Mexico

janielee
January 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hey I stand with Mario on this one, if you guys want to take the risk and go to do by all means go ahead.. Good Luck for those of you that are going to go and be safe thats about all I can say.

arpad
January 18th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Wow Mase! This sounds like the kind of ride I would love to experience! But alas, difficult to arrange. I will ask if my boss will he will let me take the days off I would need. I am going to pitch the ride to him as well. He may be interested in going. A clever way to get approval! but I wouldnt bet on it. 50/50 chance.

Cheers!

MaseK12rs
January 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Never hurts to try!
I too am going to invite Ruben if he is interested in riding to Mazatlan.

MaseK12rs
January 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Update:
From Mission TX to Durango MX the trip distance is 550.2 miles.
From Durango MX to Mazatlan the trip distance is 183.4 miles.
Still waiting for exact dates of the trip. Will post more information as quickly as I get it.

alfredoconde
January 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
im ready! letme verify at work to get the days off.. lets ride! alfredo.

MaseK12rs
January 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Great to hear from you! Ride should be awesome. I have been looking into the sites in Durango and Mazatlan. Very Beautiful Country! Looking inot a new camera /and or bullet cam to mount to bike to take even better video of the ride.
Talked with Ricardo today and still looking into getting the exact dates.

MaseK12rs
January 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Dates: March 26,2008-March 30, 2008
Itinerary is as follows:

03/26/08 Wed. Leave for Mexico to Monterry,then continue to Durango. Stay the night in Durango.

03/27/08 Thur. Leave Durango in AM, Ride to and arrive in Mazatlan in PM.:happyrider:

03/27/08-03/30/08 Stay in Mazatlan.:amigos:

03/30/08 Sun. Return to RGV.

Let's Ride!:yippee::yippee::yippee:

TRU
January 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I will never have my passport in time to go :(

MaseK12rs
January 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
From what we know, no passport is mandatory as of this time. A copy of your birth certificate and the long form is only required to pass into Mexico. I will get more info. on the exact form needed and where one can get the form and will post more updates soon.

alfredoconde
January 31st, 2008, 12:46 AM
as of feb 1 08 passport required to come back to the us.. or id and birth certificate to come back to the us.. either is valid, if you dont have the passport use id and bc..

MaseK12rs
January 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Great avatar Alfredo!
You are correct. As per the news on TV, you now need copy of birth certificate and form of ID to re-enter into US.
Look forward to getting everyone together.

BigRoach
February 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
If I understand, it looks like it's possible to get a passport in less than a week.:
http://www.americanpassport.com/Passport_First.html

And here's some info about taking your vehicle into Mexico:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/driveborder.html

MaseK12rs
February 5th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Here is a link about someone who has ridden the Devils' Backbone route in Mexico.
http://www.ginasbmw.com/newsletter.htm

Here is another link as well.
http://www.conifers.org/topics/mex2/moto.html

:thumbsup:

R1John03
February 7th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Well I know I can't go, to many days out and can't leave the shop for that long. Plau got school all of those days except the weekend of course. :(

MaseK12rs
February 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Sorry about that. If all goes well we can plan a trip to there in the future.
On a side note we have access to a cabin in Saltillo MX and we can maybe plan a weekend trip there over the weekend and ride in that area.