PDA

View Full Version : Easter SMR

pdef
March 22nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Bike is put back together! Any other heathens want to ride?

jdugger
March 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Any other heathens want to ride?

I'm going to ride north side tomorrow. The forecast for Stephenville is 40% rain, and it's only 15% for Sherman.

Come ride the northside!

jdugger
March 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hmmm.. I just saw Chickie's post, and I don't know if anyone else is riding north side tomorrow.

My GPS took a golden dump, so I am not in a position to lead until I get a new one ($450 to replace... ouch!)

mblythe
March 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
My GPS took a golden dump, so I am not in a position to lead until I get a new one ($450 to replace... ouch!)

What happened to your GPS? I just downloaded the manual for mine today and figured out how to use it...

jdugger
March 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
What happened to your GPS? I just downloaded the manual for mine today and figured out how to use it...

I'm just going to have to admit this one.

The headphone jack broke. Or, more accurately, Emily got off the bike without unplugging and litterally ripped the jack off the circuit board inside the case.

So, I had one perfectly working GPS with no audio capability as a result.

But, having a bit of an electronics background, I decided I could fix it. And, this is where it gets ugly :o

I got the case open. It's 100% surface mount. Ugh. Get out the 10W soldering iron and .010 solder. The jack is on the underside of the board, basically the whole thing is a packaging wonder, and the long story short is I totally destroyed the case getting to the jack. I could tell a story of how one step led to another and I just kept getting further underwater until shortly I was just committed to destroying the thing. It was a sad case of man-will-win.

The jack itself had ripped the traces off the breadboard, so it wasn't repairable. I did sand the board top coat off to get new copper and got the jack soldered back on and working, but at the expense of having a GPS that now only works as a series of open circuit cards on the kitchen counter. and, of course, a surface mount part that's now REALLY delicate and prone to lifting traces!

For some reason, also, the filesystem on the device is slightly corrupt and I can't back up my favorites. :(

In shame, I just ordered a new unit. ($450... ouch) I'll send the parts back into Garmin and see what they will charge me for a new chassis -- the device otherwise works fine, sans headphone jack stability and the need for a chkdsk on the filesystem.

Moral of the story: a GPS isn't a transistor radio. :o

Second moral of the story: What Miykl is for bikes, I am for consumer electronics: Slightly smarter than I should be, and a lot more stupid as a result. :na-na:

ZedX
March 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Second moral of the story: What Miykl is for bikes, I am for consumer electronics: Slightly smarter than I should be, and a lot more stupid as a result. :na-na:

:mad:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4051/bigfingerfq1.gif

:na-na:

windsor
March 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
:lmao:

jdugger
March 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4051/bigfingerfq1.gif

Don't take it personally. You can borrow the ST1300 if you like. (Just don't work on it.)

:na-na:

Brad Felmey
March 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Oh, God, I'm dying here...

mblythe
March 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
This is great entertainment for my money - all I need to do is ask an innocent question...:mischief: