PDA

View Full Version : wanted - track leathers

Austin Doug
August 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM
posted this in another thread where i'm asking advice on leathers, sorry for the repeat:

now that i have the bug, i'm in the market for track leathers. from what i understand you want perf'd leathers with good zippers and at least 1.4 mm thick leather, not to mention quality stitching. i'm going to try on some at the shops this week for fit, sitting on bikes.

the AGV Sport Forza seem to meet this criteria and are priced way below most, with Alpine Stars and others a notch higher on the hole-in-the-pocket list. not wanting to sacrifice skin and bones for a few greenback savings, anybody know anything about this brand or it's issues?

or

anybody shedding a set that would fit 5'9" 160#, drop a line...:)

ZedX
August 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
anybody shedding a set that would fit 5'9" 160#, drop a line...:)

I have a set of vanson pants that may fit you. The left ankle zipper needs repair, but otherwise in very good shape.

Downside to these pants are they only have 3 piece jacket attachment (rear, and two smaller attachments in front). Vanson does offer full circumferece zippers now but not on the adjustable waste pants. These are also not perfed.

Upside- you can get these pants for D@mn cheep if you want them. ..Just pay shipping plus what ever you think is fair (I'd like at least a six pack of Guiness out of em ). :cool:

cmalana
August 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
what suit jacket size do you normally wear? Also, what is your budget? You can get some decent leathers new for under $500. The one I was about to purchase was a set of Kobe leathers (call Pete at Texas Track Bikes - www.texastrackbikes.com (http://www.texastrackbikes.com)). Very thick and well made (and very well reviewed by racers it seem) and if not for a very good after-hours sale at Cycle Gear, that's the direction I would've gone. He also sells Himalayas for under $400.

As with any gear, it's very important that you get something that fits you well. All the protective pieces need to be where they are designed to be, and not move around much. When you fit them, make sure you are wearing something similar to Under Armour long sleeve and pants so you can see the true fit and not be concerned about gettng 'stuck' in the lining. I was very surprised how easily I fit into my suit after wearing those.

tweek
August 18th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Check motoliberty - FieldSheer Revo2 are abour $400 right now. I've crashed in FieldSheer and it held up ok.

ST Mark
August 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
This site has been posted before

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/teknic/chicane_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

$275.00 new
I have these same leathers and they are good quality(see my avatar above). I wear a 46 if you would like to try the fit first, contact me. Your size would be a 44 or 46 depending on what you wear underneath.

NathanH
August 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Your size would be a 44 or 46 depending on what you wear underneath.

:paranoid: Doubt it. I would recommend starting with a 42. But of course you might have to go up or down a size depending on whatever particular model you are considering. But 42 will be the ballpark number.

ST Mark
August 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
:paranoid: Doubt it. I would recommend starting with a 42. But of course you might have to go up or down a size depending on whatever particular model you are considering. But 42 will be the ballpark number.

I have never seen Doug:shrug:Thats why I offered to let him try mine on first

Sizing Information:

We find the Chicane suit to run smaller than most other two piece suits we sell. In general the suits run about two sizes smaller than other comparable jackets/pants. And the overall height of the suit will be fine for average to shorter riders, but will be too short for anybody above average height. We have developed the following chart based on in-house measurements.
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Suit Size</TD><TD>Max Chest</TD><TD>Max Belly</TD><TD>Approx Max Height</TD></TR><TR><TD>40</TD><TD>36</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>58</TD></TR><TR><TD>42</TD><TD>38</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>59</TD></TR><TR><TD>44</TD><TD>40</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>510</TD></TR><TR><TD>46</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>510</TD></TR><TR><TD>48</TD><TD>44</TD><TD>36</TD><TD>511</TD></TR><TR><TD>50</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>38</TD><TD>60</TD></TR><TR><TD>52</TD><TD>48</TD><TD>40</TD><TD>60</TD></TR><TR><TD>54</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>61</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Austin Doug
August 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
thanks for the offers and advice.:) i've realized that i simply need to go try some on to see what i need first. Mark, i'll drop a line if it looks like my measurements will fit the 46 Teknic.

Austin Doug
August 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM

"Honey, let's see how good this guy is.
Now, what do I win?"

"Anything in this general area right in here.
Anything below the stereo and on this side of the bicentennial glasses.
Anything between the ashtrays and the thimble.
Anything in this three inches right in here, in this area.
That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers."

-Steve Martin

42 was skin tight over underarmor.

GhostRider
August 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Supposed to be tight (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), you don't want the armor sliding all over the place. Plus the leather will give once broken-in.

NathanH
August 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Correctomundo. And specifically it should crunch the boys just a bit as far as torso length from crotch to neck. Also should be a bit narrow across the chest so that it isn't terribly comfortable to put your shoulder back/chest out (like at attention). This is so that when your arms are forward and you are crouched on the bike you don't have a lot of excess material bunching up in the upper abs or sternum area, nor pushing too much up in the neck/adams apple area. Just don't over do it and get so tight that it restricts leg/thigh/hip movements when shifting weight around on the bike. :thumbsup: