PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in Ft Worth recommendations

Mike N
March 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I was thinking about doing something for 2-3 days over in Ft Worth with my wife for a long weekend. Never really spent any time in the city over there. Any good recommendations for things to do, places to stay, etc? Something nice, but not big $ :p

Jus10
March 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
One night I'd dress fancy and spend a little more cash. We'll go downtown:

Dinner at the Reata http://www.reata.net/reata_ftworth.html
Get the sampler to start. it includes Calf Fries.. come on, you gotta do it!
Main is Buffalo Ribeye.. nothing better
Finish off with dessert tacos.. (these are worth the whole weekend trip!)

Hit the Bass Hall for concerts (Bill Engvall on Friday night!-- Here's your sign)
There's also a Jazz Lounge, Casa Manana, Opera, Symphony, and all kinds of other artsy fartsy stuff. Some nice bars and pubs too. 8.0 normally has outdoor live bands on weekends. City Streets is four clubs in one.

So.. after you've shown your softer side the next night you need to throw on the worn out jeans and hit the stock yards for bar hopping, beer drinking, grease eat'n, bull riding, and boot scoot'n.
Head straight to Exchange and make your way to Tim Love's "Love Shack". Here you'll want to have a Love Burger, fries, and the rootbeer float made with homemade ice cream and homemade rootbeer.

With a little something in your belly grab a beer or two and enjoy the live band playing in the alley at the Love Shack or start bar hopping your way to the Championship Rodeo. Rodeo kicks off at 8 and they sell beer there too so no worries. After you've had your fill of the rodeo continue bar hopping to the far side of the stockyards until you get to the Chicken Ranch. They serve breakfast until 3am so take your time stumbling on over.

If you want to Google Sundance Square and FTW Stockyards you'll find lots of details about Museums, Botanical Gardens, Omni Theater, and lots more.

As far as a place to stay I'd just stay at whoever offered best price for decent room. If you stay in downtown the cab fare wouldnt be much to get to the stockyards and viseversa. Either way whatever side you stay in you'll be able to do at least a nights worth of events within walking distance.

bjhughes
March 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM
One of our favorite restaurants is Lonesome Dove over in the Stockyards. A little higher end on price, but great food and atmosphere. Also owned by Tim Love.

I've also heard that the Stockyards Hotel is kind of cool. I've been in the bar, but never stayed there.

We also do Bass Hall a few times each year...great venue for most anything.

CBar
March 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
H3 in the stockyards is great. Casual steakhouse. Stockyards Hotel is next door. Billy Bob's is down the street. Joe T. Garcia's is close. Also the new Omni Hotel downtown, but not sure about the price.

doomer
March 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Don't forget the Arts District. Lots to do there, and lots of good restaraunts there as well. La Familia is really good and reasonable. The owner meets you at the door. You also GOTTA do a breakfast at the Ol' South Pancake House, on University just south of I-30.
Robert

Mike N
March 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for info so far! :)

ScottF4i
March 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
The hospital district is pretty nice too. But if you want real excitement head over to JPS- near Hemphill and Allan or East Lancaster!

Brad Felmey
March 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Don't forget the Arts District. Lots to do there, and lots of good restaraunts there as well. La Familia is really good and reasonable. The owner meets you at the door. You also GOTTA do a breakfast at the Ol' South Pancake House, on University just south of I-30.
Robert

Ol' South is non-optional.

There's an absolute hole-in-the-wall Mexican place up around the Stockyards on Main St. just south of 20th. It's called El Asadero, and it's just out of this world. It's painted this ghastly bright orange. http://www.elasadero.com Holeeeeeey crap it's good.

Brad Felmey
March 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The hospital district is pretty nice too. But if you want real excitement head over to JPS- near Hemphill and Allan or East Lancaster!

Mike, to be clear, Scott is kidding here. In fact, try not to be anywhere near any of these locations. Ever.

ScottF4i
March 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Brad- thanks. I didn't even notice I forgot to put in a scarey/frowning face.

Mike N
March 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Staying here at the Hilton downtown at the moment... fairly nice place. On one of the executive floors (14th), although I expected a little nicer. Guess considering it's an old building and all ;) Some nice details, etc.

Walked around downtown a bit, but most everything except food was already closed. Heading down to H3 Ranch for dinner tonight in a few.