PDA

View Full Version : Fork Brace vs. Steering Stabilizer

NathanNTX
September 1st, 2011, 09:18 AM
I am in need for upgrading the front of my 954RR due to a lil bit of tank slapping when the front end gets light. I haven't begun to push the bike through the corners yet, but am told that these "stock" bikes are not easy to control when exiting a corner on to a straight at higher speeds :wtf:. I would prefer not to take flying lessons yet. I know the 929 / 954s commonly take stabilzers as add-ons, but I have been reading up on fork braces also, and have been getting mixed reviews.

So, here I am once again, asking for advice - FIRE AWAY!!

wrx_02
September 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
I would have the suspension set up correctly first. That will fix the wobbles better than anything.

Steering Damper is for more or less saving your *** should you make a mistake.
I was getting wobble coming over the (I think turn 3) @ Cresson. You come over the hill and the front gets light and when it comes back down you would get the wobbles. I just kept it pinned and had some adjustments made on the front end by Joe and then not more problems.

Do a track day and pay roger @ On Road to have a look at it, have him set it, Ride a session then take it to him. Tell him what it is doing and while it is hot he can dial it in for you.

CBar
September 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM
Your forks are beefy enough that you don't need to worry about flex, so don't waste your $ on a brace.

wrx_02
September 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Your forks are beefy enough that you don't need to worry about flex, so don't waste your $ on a brace.

And I bet your fork fluid needs to be changed unless the guy you got it from had it done. Most don't change out the fork fluid and just continue to ride it. :naughty:

Jus10
September 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
Roger's a heck of guy. +1 for Roger. :cool:

-=sean)=-
September 1st, 2011, 09:49 PM
A steering stabilizer saves you after you make a rider error, but if you just add lots of damping on the stabilizer to overcome what you're describing, it won't discourage you from pulling on the bars to maintain balance while you're accelerating. Put more weight on the pegs until your butt is almost lifting off the seat while accelerating. Make sure your pegs are not too high up because it's hard balancing when your knees are bent too much.

KOCook
September 5th, 2011, 09:50 PM
As others have suggested, I vote for getting Roger to set up your suspension and try relaxing your grip whenever your motorcycle gives a head shake.

NathanNTX
September 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Who is Roger?

wrx_02
September 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Who is Roger?

Roger sets up suspension for guys at the track. It cost like 35$ I think. You can also talk to Joe (a club member) He does the same thing for fairly cheap. He will not be at the track though but can make the initial setup for you just by setting the sag with you on the bike, then you can tell him what it is doing and he can make tweaks to get you set up correctly.

Just ask Ben (a dallas member) just had joe do his Forks and he is very happy with them. I can get you in contact with Joe.

Honda^3
September 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Nathan H. (now of San Antonio) did an awesome job of setting up my R1 and has worked wonderfully for the last several years, until I dropped 75 lbs. Now my bike is like a Pogo stick. Need to have the suspension readjusted to my new weight.

How does one need to get a hold of either Roger or Joe??

When is the next race??

wrx_02
September 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joe
Cycle Suspension
817-832-2410

Joe works out of his garage, been doing it for years, his business is legit. Not a one of those my cousins friend's things.
You can call him, if you need your forks rebuilt or fluid changed, shipping them to Joe is the best bet for sure (or drop them off at his house in Watagua) He works 2nd shift but give him a call, mention TSBA and Brandon.

CBar
September 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I am in need for upgrading the front of my 954RR due to a lil bit of tank slapping when the front end gets light. I haven't begun to push the bike through the corners yet, but am told that these "stock" bikes are not easy to control when exiting a corner on to a straight at higher speeds :wtf:. I would prefer not to take flying lessons yet. I know the 929 / 954s commonly take stabilzers as add-ons, but I have been reading up on fork braces also, and have been getting mixed reviews.

So, here I am once again, asking for advice - FIRE AWAY!!

You need more preload on the rear spring. Try 2mm to start. This will put more weight on the front end to keep the wobbles down. Honda's are usually set-up soft (stock) for lighter riders.

You can also call Jim w/ Raceworx in Alvarado or Cliff w/ Piper Performance in N. FTW. Joe is a member of the club, so give him a shot.

I am happy to help you set the sag and get some decent base settings.

ScottF4i
September 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Scot at Cycle Werkz did mine and it was a big difference.

I do probably ride way harder than most of the people here so every little bit helps... :o

KOCook
September 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Who is Roger?
http://www.ororcycle.com/

wrx_02
September 8th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Scot at Cycle Werkz did mine and it was a big difference.

I do probably ride way harder than most of the people here so every little bit helps... :o

I just spit coffee on my keyboard. :lmao:

NathanNTX
September 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it :thumbsup:

-=sean)=-
September 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Nathan H. (now of San Antonio) did an awesome job of setting up my R1 and has worked wonderfully for the last several years, until I dropped 75 lbs. Now my bike is like a Pogo stick. Need to have the suspension readjusted to my new weight.

How does one need to get a hold of either Roger or Joe??

When is the next race??
I need to see this new Andrew v2.0.

The next race event is 9/23-25 at ECR. Suspension tuners will be there, but they might be working on last minute tweaks for racers during sprints on Sunday. The LSTD Friday practice or during the endurance race on Saturday might be the best time to have them setup suspension.

scottm
September 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I need to see this new Andrew v2.0.

no kidding!

I thought I was doing good to drop 53 lbs, but bender has me beat... (first time for everything, eh, mr. whiteass? :p )

CBar
September 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3flKxf41U

ScottF4i
September 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I just spit coffee on my keyboard. :lmao:
Glad someone got it!!