PDA

View Full Version : Riding weather in Dec/Jan?

SPDKLZ
November 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hey all...new to the board and recently moved to the Keller/Ft Worth area.

I spend most of my time working overseas, but have a vacation coming up in Dec/Jan. Although I am from Lubbock, I have been in this line of work for a while and in the military prior to that, so I have not experienced the Dec weather too much.

What are the chances that I will be able to ride my bikes in Dec and Jan? I am not too concerned about the actual cold as I can bundle up, but I am more concerned about snow on the ground.

Any weather guru's out there??

windsor
November 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Snow isn't your problem -- rarely does snow stick for more than a day around here.

We usually get a week of nasty cold that starts with an ice storm. That's what you gotta watch out for. Not only do you have a day or two of frozen streets, but you get a month or two of sandy muck to deal with afterward.

KOCook
November 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
According to Accuweather, you can expect High in upper to mid-50's, Low in the upper 30's, and Average of upper 40's. Couple of days of precip.--type is temp dependent.

ScottF4i
November 4th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You'll be fine through most of Dec & Jan. Most of the ice storm(s) come in Feb. If you have heated grips and a decent set of pants & jacket you'll be good to go.

doomer
November 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Wait.....is this the same Scott who only rides between 65 & 85 degrees??? :D We are blessed to be able to ride year round in TX. Mesh in summer & liners in winter. It generally ices/snows only once a year here (sometimes more, sometimes less) & is gone as quick as it came. Just watch out as the weather can change dramatically during the same day & it does get really windy in winter. DFW definitely sees less snow than Lubbock!

ZedX
November 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM
As mentioned just a couple of ice/snow storms a year. The sand stays around longer and is the real threat. Late Dec we usually try to get a AR day ride going to knock off the winter lack of riding blues. Join us (them :o ).

ScottF4i
November 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wait.....is this the same Scott who only rides between 65 & 85 degrees??? :D ...

65 and 85?? 85 is pushing it for me but I have been known to ride in weather as cold as 30 while snowing. :thumbsup: I would much rather ride when cold out, I can put on a liner or warmer shirt, but getting naked and riding is just plain dumb, you might get sunburned!!

wrx_02
November 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Your odds will be pretty good to ride. I guess I missed you at the last meeting, hope to catch you in November then. Welcome!

SPDKLZ
November 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I was not at the last meeting nor will I be there for Nov. I spend about 9 months a year working in Iraq, so my time home is limited. However, I will be around for parts of Dec and Jan. After that, my next time around will be around May and I will be hitting as many trackdays as possible!