Thread: No Chapter is an island

Okay,

Enough of the lovefest on the BBS...

Why can't we see other chapters? I guess I could understand not letting us post to other chapters, or preferably not letting us start topics OOT, but it seems like not even having read access is a little harsh.

Killeen would probably be interested in Austin, I'd be interested in Killeen as I'm halfway there. The Houston and Dallas crews would probably be interested in reading descriptions of corners as well.

Just wondering.

Daryl
    Daryl T - Austin Treasurer

XR1200 | KLR650 | XR400 | XR100 - stolen | DR-Z70s - stolen

Questions about the TSBA? Come to a meeting or email me!

> blah blah descriptions of corners blah blah

I resemble that comment!
    We've got at least 12 corners up here!!
    Of course, they are all out at Motorsport Ranch.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

RC51 Guest

i would agree with this. we have a great board here in Houston. i'd like to interact with others around the state. if i'm going to dallas or austin for the weekend, i'd like to be able to get on their forum, announce my intentions and see if anyone's interested in meeting for a ride. i understand this could be done on the statewide board, but it's bound to get lost in the shuffle as posting increases. my $.02

I tried to set it up as closely matching the mailing lists as possible. I do kind of like the idea of not having to add everyone to each list [img]smile.gif[/img]

If any officers don't like the idea of openening up the chapter forums to the rest of the membership, let me know, otherwise I'm gonna do it. (PSSTTT it will make your life easier

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Jess Johnson ]
    Austin TSBA
    BBS/website system admin.
    CMRA #21

Arrow

The reason you can't see other chapter is because they want to flame you behind your back! At least that's what they use it for in my case! [img]redface.gif[/img]

There really is no reason to view other chapters mail list's / BBS. That is for their use on chapter specific news such as local rides, can I use the tire machine? Anyone want to meet for Two Wheel Tues.? Going to Specht's? Local list's should really be used very little.

The Statewide board should be the one used primarily. It's the easiest way for all of the members from each chapter to get to know one another and communicate. You make the comment in your post "Killeen would probably be interested in Austin, I'd be interested in Killeen as I'm halfway there. The Houston and Dallas crews would probably be interested in reading descriptions of corners as well." Well, just put all this with relevant subject lines on the State board and those from DFW that aren't interested in the Killeen / Austin squid fest for that weekend can ignore it. Simple.

The problem has been that with the email list's a lot of folks got tired of the mail it was generating on the *one* list we had. So we broke it up into separate chapter list's with a main list. Everyone then migrated to their own list's. I think we need to get back to using one medium for communication and see how it goes.

Now everyone can pick and choose what threads they want to participate in, or ignore the board altogether. We really only need one board. Look at the chapter specific boards as luxury items that just need occasional use for local activities. And, of course, if they want to talk about you behind your back!

Gary Stoops
    TSBA-San Antonio
    Supposed Head Honcho
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Uhh, Gary,

First you say there's no reason to be able to see other's boards, and then you say there should be only one?

Which is it?

I like the setup, but let's say I'm going to visit my inlaws in Houston one weekend, and I'd like to see if the Houston chapter is doing anything that weekend (sanding the edges of their tires) that would give me an excuse to ditch the weekly Walker Texas Ranger viewing on Saturday night.

Under the current setup, I can't do that.

I like the local divisions, I just think there's intertribal value in being able to view it.

Besides, what's the fun of flaming people behind their back?

Later,

Daryl

quote:
    Originally posted by UberHawk:
    Uhh, Gary,

First you say there's no reason to be able to see other's boards, and then you say there should be only one?

Which is it?

What I said was get back to one medium for communication. In other words, use a BBS or email list's. But not both. While I don't really like BBS, I think it will work better for TSBA members in the long run for better communication. And my membership thinks so also.

quote:
    I like the setup, but let's say I'm going to visit my inlaws in Houston one weekend, and I'd like to see if the Houston chapter is doing anything that weekend (sanding the edges of their tires) that would give me an excuse to ditch the weekly Walker Texas Ranger viewing on Saturday night.

Under the current setup, I can't do that.

But you can put a post on the State list and ask if anything is going on in Houston as you are on your way to rape and pillage. I'm sure folks will be happy to reply and steer you in the wrong direction. You should have the same results. That is as long as we can get folks to use the State forum for the majority of postings instead of hiding out on local list's.

quote:
    I like the local divisions, I just think there's intertribal value in being able to view it.

Besides, what's the fun of flaming people behind their back?

I *don't* care for the local divisions as they have been used with the email list's. I feel it has facilitated the membership in not knowing whom the rest are, and therefore not helped TSBA grow strong as one organization.

If folks will use the State forum for the majority of post's then you will then get your intertribal value. And the local forum can be used to ease the local only info clutter from the main board.

I'm not sure what the best value is here. I'm making suggestions based on what I think will work. But I'm an amateur compared to some here whom may have a better way to set all this up. [img]smile.gif[/img] It may be that we only need one board.

Gary
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

I agree that the state-wide list should be the primary medium for general message traffic. Perhaps the BBS will help facilitate that. I think a lot of people were hesitant to post to the old state-wide list out of concern that their message would be the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back, and prompt someone to start a flame war over the excess message traffic.

Obviously the local lists (I mean BBS) are the best way to set up local rides, meetings, talk smack about Gary... I do think they should all be open to all members. Frankly, I can't see where I would have much interest in reading someone else's local traffic, as it probably wouldn't make much sense to me, but it would be a nice option to have available if I was gonna be in the area, or there was some hot deal going on that would prompt me to go there. So, if its not too hard to do, I would like to see all the chapters open to all members.

Since this BBS is web-based, and the topics are organized such that if I want to ignore the thread about pink thongs, I can simply not click that link. Nothing to delete! How could anyone ***** about that?? There's no clutter!

Having access to all the local lists would be just that: access. It doesn't mean I would get an Inbox full of locale-specific messages. If I was taking a trip to Houston and wanted to know what was going on, I could look through the local Houston threads.

That being said, I like the idea of a centralized list/BB with the local lists being for local topics.

Then again, who's to say what's local? There was some confusion just recently about the kart races and postings to lists other than Austin.

And didn't Jess say having access to all the list would be easier to admin??

But before we decide on all this, I think we should send out polls, lots of e-mail, many posts and debate until only profanity spews forth to decide which local list/BB gets to use which instant gremlins.
    Ken Green
    98 VFR800FI-W

Agreed, in so much as i don't see the harm in all access. It is no different than subscribing to the state email list.

I think it would be fine, as long as there are not any nasty flame wars!!

my 39cents worth ! (inflation) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    KTM 690 Duke

Thumbs up

WhoooHOOOO!

This rocks now...thanks Jess.

I feel so, connected to the other chapters already.

Daryl

Smile

note to self (James, do not ask for Barron's input, too expensive) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    1998 VTR1000 SuperChicken
    -------------------------

quote:
    (James, do not ask for Barron's input, too expensive) [img]tongue.gif[/img][/QB]

Are you refering to his rate of inflation? Our .02 is his .39? That is pretty steep.

Or is it the particle phase technology he has that your refering to. That's pretty costly stuff you know....
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Cool

My thread has the most posts, my thread has the most posts...

Does Gary actually have a job?

Curious

Daryl

Smile

I think Gary runs around all morning siphoning gas for his weekend rides, and comes to post in the afternoon high on fumes.
    1998 VTR1000 SuperChicken
    -------------------------

quote:
    Does Gary actually have a job?

You can't tell?? [img]smile.gif[/img] At the moment I am semi-retired. At least that's what I call it.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Smile

quote:
    Originally posted by James Thomas:
    I think Gary runs around all morning siphoning gas for his weekend rides, and comes to post in the afternoon high on fumes.

Well... at least you got part of it right!

Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

quote:
    Originally posted by Gary Stoops:

Are you refering to his rate of inflation? Our .02 is his .39? That is pretty steep.

Or is it the particle phase technology he has that your refering to. That's pretty costly stuff you know....

Can't let the Austin boyz have all the latest technology now can we !!
    KTM 690 Duke