Thread: Superhawk OEM Tires

Question

I need to replace the rear tire on my Honda VTR1000F (Superhawk 996). I have read a few articles that say you should not use tires other than the Dunlop 204K (specifically made for the Superhawk) or possibly suffer some handling problems because of the stressed member type suspension. Is this truth or just marketing hype ??
    Bill Moore
    DFW TSBA
    CBR1100XX,RSV1000,WR400F

Just throw a set of 207Z street tires on it and you'll be fine. There was no real difference between the OEM and regular 204 that any of the hundreds of superhawk listers could figure out, and almost all switched to the 207. The 207 GP is a different story all together tho [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Austin TSBA
    BBS/website system admin.
    CMRA #21

Oh my. I think you could probably answer this one yourself. Or ask Daryl about the SuperHawk and 204s.
    If you ride very hard at all, you'll notice a difference between the 204s and just about any sport tire (207s, Pilots, etc.)
    I've had two Superhawks and felt like the 204s weren't *TERRIBLE* as long as I was riding casually. But turn the pace up, and they definitely don't feel like 207s. And forget using them at the track.
    Of course, this is all just my opinion. There are guys on the Superhawk list that will swear the 204s are fine for the track. (but I'll swear they're nuts....)
    Ken Green
    98 VFR800FI-W

Sean Fullerton (red VTR, drilled out his ignition because he forgot his keys on TWS trackday - ya, that guy) runs Michelin Macadams on his VTR. He gets a lot of mileage out of them, and was running laps around a lot of folks at TWS. An option to consider (especially if you commute or have to cover a lot of distance to get to the twisties). Ya, they're not Pilots or 207's (both of which are excellent), but they also don't crown out nearly as quick.