Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slowpoke SMRs?

Red face

Geez... can I bring my motorized wheelchair tomorrow???

But seriously folks... ya'll need to chill a bit on the "how fast/how slow" stuff and just enjoy the SMR.

I'm considering bringing my vintage Honda CX500 to see how fast or how slow things are near the back...

What's the route?
    Foster,
    as in the lager...

\"Is it ride like the wind, or break like the wind?\"

[quote]Originally posted by JohnT:
    Says the guy who was behind me screaming: "GO FASTER"! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Did I say that

What happened to the "A" and "B" groups? The last SMR I went on had two groups, and it seemed to work fine.

But that was a few months back. . . when I had a bike.

But on the bright side, I have insurance $$ in hand and am looking for a new ride.
    Ric

Originally posted by Ric Martin:
    But on the bright side, I have insurance $$ in hand and am looking for a new ride.
    Jen has an immaculate Honda Hornet for sale

The following should be read with this in mind; I mean no flames, there is nothing to be found between the lines, and if you failed reading comprehension 101, read it a few times before attacking me... This is my view on SMR’s and why I no longer show up for them every Sunday. Keep in mind that I used to be an SMR junkie, and liked nothing more than to be at the front of the line, and contrary to what I, and maybe a few others will have you believe; I'm no slowpoke. (come on, you knew that was coming.)

The last few SMR's that I have been on have been defined by the term; Extremely dangerous. To start, some of the people showing up for these rides should not be leaving the parking lot in the same group. When I first started riding with the club, these same people would have been asked to go home; Instead, they are now crashing their way to the front of the line, some more literally than others.

Secondly, speeds have seemingly gotten a bit out of hand. A year ago the average speed was somewhere around 80-110. From the last few SMR's that I have ridden, it seems the average has risen to 100+ with some sustained trips above 130+. Everyone here should be well aware of what happens when a bike leaves the pavement at 110+mph, and I just don't want to be around to see the after effect first hand.

There are, of course, many other things attributing to my general feelings on current day SMR's, and I won't go into them on this board. I do feel that changes are on their way, and only hope they arrive before someone looses a limb, their life, or worse yet, before someone kills another.

I close with no animosity towards anyone in this club. I am not leaving the club. I understand we just want to go fast, I only feel the term "fast" has been stretched. Some of you agree with me, some of you are neutral, and some of you think I'm a chicken. Whoever, however, whatever, my opinion is what was written.

No controversy intended. Just what I, someone who went on almost every SMR for over a year, feels.
    :::04 R6:::

Ugh, as to the idea for slower SMR's. I'm all for it, but I'll bet you already guessed that.

Well then... I have an idea...

Why don't we split up in to groups of say... one! We can have a moderator stage our exit's at 1 to 5 minute intervals and we can make a giant loop around this Texas sized island.

Maybe it will catch on and someday there will be this international scene here and we will all be heros with lifesize bronze statues of ourselves in front of Einstien's...
    Foster,
    as in the lager...

\"Is it ride like the wind, or break like the wind?\"

it seems the average has risen to 100+ with some sustained trips above 130+
    Obviously, this it too fast for most riders, so what should be the average highest speed?

If we're concerned with separation of the group, I'll say this - I have been sweeper where riders on full fleged sport bikes are taking turns posted 45 at 55. If we say 80 is the max, these folks are still going to get left in the dust since most folks take these at 75 or so. I'm certainly not advocating somebody ride outside their comfort range - I'm just saying that there is always going to be separation due to difference of skill and familiarity with the roads.

The problem with these TX roads is there's so much distance between twisty sections, and even the twisty sections are often higher speed turns. If every road was like 4, it would be easier to keep higher speeds down, but there would be even more separation than now. It's for this very reason I struggle whether to buy a full fleged sport bike since my vintage model makes the excitement threshold for each turn at a little lower level of speed than for those on the latest and greatest machinery.

Maybe this is an issue for it's own thread, or discussed at meetings. Whatever is decided, I suspect the outcome will probably be there is a need for a couple groups.
    Keith
    2000 ZRX1100
    Because it\'s fun to be Naked

sportbiker929 is offline MSF Rider Coach, Track Day Junkie

Anyone can go fast down the straights. I believe in keeping the straight road speeds sane and then you don't have to slow as much for the turns.

my opinion
    Mitchell Van Linge
    00 XR650R Baja ready
    When in doubt, Gas it!
    lovin Oceanside, found a place 4 miles from the beach.

I don't like getting left behind either. I rode with one group for the first and last time last year. The pace was so fast that some people were riding way over there heads to keep up. My friend and I slipped to back to avoid any possible accidents and were eventually left behind. The sad thing is that we had no idea where we were. We finally found I-20 and slabbed it 55 miles back to Ft Worth. Needless to say, it was not a fun day.

I say we have separate rides. One for the fast guys and one for the slower paced riders. I would say that they wouldn't even have to have the same start time or location.
    Jeff

Everyone should have already read "The Pace" as found at our very own web page.

IMHO we should set a max speed of 80mph for the straights. I think that this could have helped in a number of the single mc accidents on the SMRs that I've read about. Also it would be helpful if there's a rule of every rider keeping the rider behind them in sight. Then if the leader looses sight of the rider behind him then they know they need to back it down a bit.
    Splitting into two groups is a great idea for when the groups exceed 12 riders. But to split into two groups for a faster and slower group then you'll still have instances of riders running off the road in the faster group.

My 2˘.
    John Hamilton of Arl, TX
    2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R
    MSF RiderCoach

"Listening is more than waiting for your turn to talk." -Scott Wilder

Originally posted by KeithS:
    quote:
    it seems the average has risen to 100+ with some sustained trips above 130+
    Obviously, this it too fast for most riders, so what should be the average highest speed?

If we're concerned with separation of the group, I'll say this - ...
    [/QUOTE]Seperation of the group, nor the actual speed is not my concern. It's the fact that these are sanctioned TSBA rides, and as such, as soon as something bad happens, everyone on that ride is going to have to explain why they were traveling at 130+. If people want to ride like that, maybe they should do so out side of the normal SMR and the TSBA. I don't really know how the law would work in a situation like this, and I don't really want to be there to find out, but I'm willing to bet it would be called racing and each and every rider present would be showing up in court in an attempt to clear the felony charges leveled upon them.

Like John said, right there on our front page lies The Pace, which is a set of guidelines for TSBA rides.

--- My only concern is for the safety of myself, others, and staying clear of the jail house.

I saw a thread a few weeks ago asking if the "Pace" should be removed from the site. The reason given is the fact that most of the TSBA rides are not ridden by the "Pace".
    Jeff

Not that I've been on an SMR for a while, but I think the straights would be the only place where speed would be an issue. I don't think any one in the group would be crazy enough to take the usual 45MPH turns at 130+ (statutory) MPH.

I think the answer is clear, I should be leading a moderately-paced in the straights ride to new and uncharted territories. Enough talk, I'm all about action! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Look for a new thread posted later on. For now, I'm headed to the races! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 29, 2004, 10:33: Message edited by: -=sean)=- ]

3rdMikeToTheLeft is offline Oh, so that is how the front brake works!

I've been too busy to make any SMRs for a long time. I have no problem with a slower stright away speed, it is all about the corners to me and most of the people I have rode with.

I don't have a problem with the fast group either. They will usually talk to a rider that is riding above their level. As long as they self police for safety, that's fine with me.

I try to ride well below my ability, and the times I've come across problems in a corner, I was glad I did. It allowed me to correct with out going into the other lane or worse, off the road. I have pushed the 9/10 on the road in past SMRs but after a few OMG situations and after seeing two wreaks this year from riders who were probably riding 9/10, I decided I would pull back to 7/10 to give me a bigger buffer.

I personally plan on saving up for several track days this fall and next year to satisfy my ego needs and suggest that just one ticket will usually pay for a couple of track days.
    Mike
    YLW & BLK \'00 929
    A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all.

Cool

I've really been trying to stay out of this soap opera since a few folks seem to have cabin fever or something, but...

explain why they were traveling at 130+.
    Come on !!! I've been on SMR's while most of you were still in diapers, and that's really stretching it. I don't think I've been on any of those rides ! Sometimes there have been a few straightaway speed runs, but a sustained 130...who are you kidding.

Oh, and by the way...

sanctioned TSBA rides
    no such thing...

Personally, when I'm leading, the rule of thunb is straights = 85 to 90 average (Yes, I watch the speedo !)...are there burst above that in some nice sweepers...hell yes !
    Ben H.

Cool

Forgot to add...

I did a 1-man SMR today (Fort Worth location...where the hell was everybody ?) and did manage to get a wildman speeding ticket just south of Venus on 157...65 in a 55...and it was on a straight section of road. Lucky he didn't write me up for 130 mph !
    Ben H.

B.J. - The ride I was speaking about was the last one I was on, in which you led. For the first half I stayed at the very back, behind Cass where we kept it at about 75-85, but moved up after lunch. I was behind the guy on the red 04 R1, who was behind you. David was behind me. Unless my speedo is way off, I was above 130 for quite a while before my bike could no longer keep up with the R1's, and the road we were on was freshly re-paved.

Maybe this was just an odd burst, but the ride before that, in which you weren't there, was the same.

How are SMR's not sanctioned TSBA events, when:
    tr.v. sanc·tioned
    2. To encourage or tolerate by indicating approval. See Synonyms at approve.

I'm not trying to stir up the pot, nor anything like that. I was and am only trying to express why I and a few others do not, or no longer, show up for SMR's. This is my last post on this matter, or any other that could possibly cause any semblance of a real conversation.

[ August 29, 2004, 14:12: Message edited by: Tony L ]

The North SMR's used to be throttle jockeys in the straights and stand it up in the corners type of rides but that has changed recently. I don't see the excitement ripping down a straight stretch of road at 100 plus when you are leading a ride. Does this make the leader think that his riding partners are thinking to themselves "wow, this guy can ride". It is not very difficult to keep a group together if the leader uses common sense and keeps his ego in his tank bag.
    John Baumgratz
    Z1000
    CRF250X

This is a good discussion and can be a productive one if we keep in mind we are all trying to make the club better, not just be right.

First from a legal prospective the official policy of the club (and the one you will sign when we finish the new membership cards) is "ride your own pace" It is not the responsiblity of the TSBA if you ride your faster then your abilities or equipment will allow. There is already plenty of Supreme Court president to back that up. If someone rides faster then their ability and crashes then the TSBA is no more responsible then if that person had a tire failure and crashed.

More important then the legalities is the health of the club. After listening to a similar diatribe a couple of months ago I stood up in a monthly meeting and recommended the A and B groups. My recommendation then, and still is, that everyone meets up at the same time and same place. However each group can decide on their own routes, although if lunch is involved it would be nice if the groups could meet up again. Maybe if we seperated departure times abot 30 minutes or so it would be easier to define the groups.

Someone on this thread mentioned that even if we had two groups some riders will still ride over their heads. That is true. However some riders will do this no matter what the group does. All we can do is tell people to ride at their own pace and not over their head and hope people do the right thing.

<end rant>
    David
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

\"Worn out sprockets are a sign of a life that was enjoyed and appreciated fully.\" - N. Hieronymus

"Virtus junxit mors non separabit" = What virtue has united death can not separate

Interesting topic, and not one to which a resolution is simple. I can think of at least a dozen threads over the past year going over the same subject.

Speaking from experience leading several SMR's at a MODERATE pace (keeping at 90-95 on straights and blazin' the corners).....there are almost always rider(s) up your ***. Most of you guys know I'm not slow. But, I do take it WAY down on the street. It makes me feel uncomfortable when someone is right on my tail when I am trying to "pace", plus it makes me uncomfortable riding anywhere over 70% on the street. That is why I don't think I lead rides well (not to mention that I am navigationally challenged). Plus I have been having way too much fun on the track and SMR's just don't compare.
    The lead rider has a lot of decisions to make----have a faster ride where the fast riders have fun and try to regroup everyone at stops and turnoffs, or have a moderate ride and half the riders out front don't enjoy it as much. There is such a huge variation of riding skill and experience in this club that it is extremely difficult to find a happy medium.(Well, except for Hank, he always knows how to choose the perfect pace. I want to be just like him when I grow up. ) We have riders that are extremely skilled and have been on bikes or racetracks for decades, and very new riders that have been biking for less than one year, and a lot of folks inbetween.

Anyhow, I think I'm rambling. But the point is that NOBODY should be left behind, the leader should always be conscientious enough to hold the group together and allow time for the sweeper to rest at stops. And the followers should also be conscientious and leave plenty of space between each rider and the leader. It really is just a matter of being thoughtful about fellow peers and riders.

If there are enough riders, then splitting into two groups IS a good thing, but that isn't realistic if you have a small group.

It may be a better idea if every weekend the "ride leader" speaks up prior to Sunday to advise other riders of the expected pace. Now we have to think of code words for that, because the popo's may be watching.....

[ August 29, 2004, 15:21: Message edited by: AmbeR1 ]
    | Streetbikeless, gone to the dark side! |Pumpkin 200 & 125 |

One thing to keep in mind as far as the leader and the pace in the straights, is that people further back in the back will typically go faster than the leader is going in the straights to keep up, or catch up, especially if people further back are less experienced/comfortable in the corners, or just flat out want to have a relaxed ride where they don't feel they have to go a buck ten to keep the other riders in sight.
    Zukidog March 2, 2003 - November 6, 2006

Cool

Okay...I won't keep it going...everybody has good points and valid concerns. I don't want to "race" on the streets either, but...

do not, or no longer, show up for SMR's
    Why are we all members if we quit doing SMR's ? It seems to me that the purpose of this club is to promote, grow, and participate in the TSBA. Should we all stop doing SMR's, or should we change the "S" to an "R" and just go racing ?
    Ben H.

(Fort Worth location...where the hell was everybody ?)
    I wish you'd a posted up. After the discussion with John, I did the Venus, Maypearl, 916 through Joshua to the races. Took a backpack with shorts. Hung out with Cathy for a while and watched her race one race.
    Keith
    2000 ZRX1100
    Because it\'s fun to be Naked

This is one of those topics that will never go away and to be quite honest with you, I don't feel it should. We needs reminders.

There's a new breed of members out there and most have probably not even met me and that's my fault. Too busy trying to live multiple lives has kept me away from SMRs and meetings.

Most have no idea what it's like to lead a "organzied" group of riders. Let me tell you it can be taxing and that is why the ride leader needs everyones help. EVERYONE should be checking for riders behind them. EVERYONE should turn their flippin highbeams off except the sweeper so that the ride leader can instantly see he/she has everyone instead of having to physically count each and every bike - all the while "everyone" is wondering why in the hell we're slowing down! And for Gods sake if you change sweeper position with someon, you turn your highbeam on the old sweeper turn their off. The ride leader needs to know who's sweeping AT ALL TIMES! EVERYONE should be slowing down and moving to the back (on front of the sweeper) if they start to feel they are overiding themselves . EVERYONE should be letting the ride leader know if something has happened to a rider.

The ride leader, not only has to make sure he/she isn't getting lost, sees and motions for road problems, has to keep everyone in line, keep fuel requirements in check, all the while trying to make sure that the whole group don't go blazing by Johnny Law coming the other direction. Let's keep the rides at acceptable levels as you have to remember, EVERYONE is out to get you.

[ August 29, 2004, 16:28: Message edited by: Lloyd ]
    | 2003 Yamaha R1 | 2001 Honda 929RR

\"How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you\'re on.\"