Thread: Sunday Ride Report

Since no one has done this yet, I thought i would give it my best literary effort.

We met in Helotes. I was late. Lots of guys showed up, but no chicks. We rode to Bandera, then to Leakey, Camp Wood and out Hwy 55. Keri went fast on the Busa. Brett went fast on the R1. Then we got pulled over by the rent a cop, he called us Boyz !!
    Then we went to the Sonic in Bandera and saw several Hotties. Then we left.

It was a good day !!!

Let me know if i left anything significant out !!
    KTM 690 Duke

quote:
    Originally posted by Barron Haake:
    Let me know if i left anything significant out !!

What a masterpiece! Covered all the bases. Direct and to the point. You should write more often Barron! :razz:

I *was* a good ride! Hwy 55 ROCKS! Been ages since I went out there. And I was able to do it and not be in the group that got pulled over! The only drawback was we had to put up with the chief Austin squid, Brett "Outlaw1" Murdock (you guys in Austin need to get out and ride! We had two Austin members on *our* ride today!). But he can ride fairly decent and doesn't seem to hold us up too much. :razz: And somebody try and teach John K how to wheelie. We all saw that attempt(S) John. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey, if you need some pointers, I'm available! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

I'm glad to see some of the older membership and especially the new folks coming out to ride! What a ya say we do it again sometime! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: Gary Stoops ]
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Talking

I'd love to " do it " but You guys start wayy to early for my 3rd shift, daytime sleeping scheduled working stiff. Start at noon, and I'm there.

BTW, did anyone else get WET today? ****, I got down to 1604 and I10, and someone turned on the shower! Sucks sitting under a bridge for 45min.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.\"
    --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

quote:
    Originally posted by Gary Stoops:

...And somebody try and teach John K how to wheelie. We all saw that attempt(S) John. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey, if you need some pointers, I'm available! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Let me see if I got this right. You're saying someone else needs wheelie lessons??? This is the same Gary Stoops who couldn't wheelie out at 55 while we all watched isn't it???
    Outlaw #1

quote:
    Originally posted by Brett:

Let me see if I got this right. You're saying someone else needs wheelie lessons??? This is the same Gary Stoops who couldn't wheelie out at 55 while we all watched isn't it???

Hey SYED , Gary was just mocking john. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Syed Murdock Bwahahahahaha

(great riding with youz outlawz!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
    1998 VTR1000 SuperChicken
    -------------------------

quote:
    Originally posted by Brett:
    You're saying someone else needs wheelie lessons??? This is the same Gary Stoops who couldn't wheelie out at 55 while we all watched isn't it???

Well....yes. It is the same one you dolt! [img]tongue.gif[/img] The bike got up earlier in the day no prolbem. If you remember, I had just done two back to back top end runs for everyone's entertainment.

I'm talking topped out, no more there, throttle pinned at top end for like 30+ seconds both times kind of top end runs. The bike was running about 205 when I pulled up to you guys and the outside air temps was in the mid 90's. No wonder the engine power was down a bit.

If you remember the bike was putting off this "I've just been seriously flogged" smell. Kind of like a clutch smell. I believe it may have been slipping a bit at this point.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Cool

Sorry about Rick and I having to leave at 10:00...but we had a great WOT down 55 to 90! Fortunatly, we did not experience "Johnny Law"! What a great ride!

Hey I'm serious. Whos riding evenings? Yeah, it was hot today, but thats what textile was made for!

OH, And I noticed 37, off of 16 ( outside 1604 ) has a nice new finish. Now, if only they would fix the god**** tight corners! Too **** bumpy.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Joe Plano ]
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.\"
    --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

quote:
    Originally posted by Gary Stoops:

I'm talking topped out, no more there, throttle pinned at top end for like 30+ seconds both times kind of top end runs.

Where in the hell did you find enough road to do that? I still haven't found enough road to get mine topped out; 200mph on the clock, yes. Topped out, no. Oh wait, you don't ride a Busa, nevermind.

quote:
    First excuse posted by Gary Stoops:
    If you remember, I had just done two back to back top end runs for everyone's entertainment.

Ya, I do remember something of a mild breeze showing up for a little while...

quote:
    Second excuse posted by Gary Stoops:
    The bike was running about 205 when I pulled up to you guys and the outside air temps was in the mid 90's. No wonder the engine power was down a bit.

My bikes too hot, the temperature is too hot, I can't get it up when everything is hot.....

quote:
    Final excuse posted by Gary Stoops:
    If you remember the bike was putting off this "I've just been seriously flogged" smell. Kind of like a clutch smell. I believe it may have been slipping a bit at this point.

I'm with Bill on this one, buy a real bike and you won't have "clutch" problems. Clutch problems *wink wink nudge nudge*
    Outlaw #1

quote:
    Originally posted by Barry Westmoreland:
    Where in the hell did you find enough road to do that? I still haven't found enough road to get mine topped out; 200mph on the clock, yes. Topped out, no.

200 but not topped. Yea, Ok Barry, whatever. Like you'd go that fast you poser!

Hwy 55 man! Up at the top end of the curves...after the road goes back to two lane...after the last right hand corner just stay in it...right past the big Oak tree we always stop by. You've got all kinds of straight road there with no drives and very little traffic. You could probably run top end all the way to Rock Springs out there!

You need to go out there with us next time. Kerry was out with his Hay-bus the other day. Finally got him to make a run. He come blasting by us at what was definitely faster than the CBR or R1 did. He then comes back and says "I forgot to put it in fifth!" Bite me Kerry!

quote:
    Originally posted by Barry Westmoreland:Oh wait, you don't ride a Busa, never mind.

Bite me Barry! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

You'll notice I used the phrase "on the clock", not "actual" since Busas have happy speedometers. Actual speed was only 185 or so, and BTW, I still had a gear to go! BAHAHAHA

I'm intimately familiar with the stretch of road you're referring to and it's shorter than the straight I did my run on (Hwy 173 between Bandera and Hondo). I've managed about 190 "ON THE CLOCK" where you were running. I've also managed to momentarily leave the pavement (vertically) at an indicated 185mph over a slight rise on Hwy 41 between Rock Springs and 335 and that was not cool enough to repeat.

I'm entertaining the idea of gearing the bike down so it tops out around 180mph actual, that way it will accelerate better.

9.99/141mph - All hail the mighty Busa.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Barry Westmoreland ]

Talking

quote:
    I've also managed to momentarily leave the pavement (vertically) at an indicated 185mph over a slight rise on Hwy 41 between Rock Springs and 335 and that was not cool enough to repeat.

Dude! I did the same thing on 41! Not quite as fast though. Only it was between 336 and 187. Dan, Kerry, Bernie and I were all tapped out, I was on my old 900RR about 165 indicated when we came over a slight rise and the next thing I know the front wheel is lofting.

I had just managed to get around Dan on his ZX7 so he had been pretty close to me. When I checked my mirrors they were all backing WAY off! As soon as it happened I just chopped the throttle, let the front end back down and got back in it! [img]smile.gif[/img] Those guys thought I was going to die! I was probably closer to it than I thought at the time!

quote:
    I'm entertaining the idea of gearing the bike down so it tops out around 180mph actual, that way it will accelerate better.

Well of course! Everyone knows those things are overwieght underpowered pigs and need some help in the acceleration dept! More acceleration eh Barry? You really do want to feel your arms yanked from their sockets!

quote:
    9.99/141mph - All hail the mighty Busa.

Your an animal Barry!

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Gary Stoops ]
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Cool

It was a nice ride. I tried to get a knee on the pavement, but to no avail. I did get to pull redline earlier in the day following Craig M. (Austinite)that was good for a measly 140 mph on the speedo. Maybe, I will put that stock gearing back on the rear

Yes, I did pick up the cop with my V1, probably why I didn't get stopped [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Why does a Hayabusa stop for a Jeep Cherokee that is going the opposite way? It worked out in the end, though, I hear a very nice cop. No tickets - glad it wasn't DPS Officer Sanchez
    His Suzuki
    \'03 SV1000S - Rocked chipped in Biloxi
    \'01 SV650S - Miriam\'s
    XR80 & XR100 for Saturdays
    Home is where the Air Force sends you..

quote:
    Originally posted by His_Suzuki:
    ...Why does a Hayabusa stop for a Jeep Cherokee that is going the opposite way?...

Can't speak for that Busa rider, but I've been on the losing end of the not stopping thing and I've got about 2500 reasons not to run. [img]redface.gif[/img] Word to the wise: if you're gonna run, you'd **** well better win the contest! IMO, the hill country is a bad venue to attempt the old "honestly officer, I never saw you behind me" routine. There's just too much straight road with too few places to change direction. Radios are even faster than Busas.

BTW, I got to talk to officer Sanchez last time out. He was so impressed with my riding that he asked for my autograph.