Thread: Ride From SA to Austin to Marble Falls

Lightbulb

This is short notice, but I'm game if anyone wants to take a long ride tomorrow in the heat. Depending on when I get home in the morning, I like to leave here by 10:30 or 11am. ( I'm on the north East Side of SA, By I35 and 1604 ) We can meet at the moble station next to bank of america on pat booker.

Usually meet at 71 and 290 at MCDonalds in Austin with whoever is riding, from there.

I take 35n to 12N to get off of the interstate. Then from there we take 71w, 620N,2222E,360N, spicewood springs road, to 183N, to 1431W to marble falls.

Anyone game??????

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Joe Plano ]
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.\"
    --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Cool

quote:
    Originally posted by Joe Plano:
    I take 35n to 12N to get off of the interstate.

I see we're going to have to teach you the back way up to Austin around Canyon lake via Bulverde Rd. / Smithson Valley Rd. Once on the N side of Canyon lake you take 32 over Devils Backbone (towards San Marcos) to 12, then up to Wimberley, over and through Driftwood and then to Oak Hill and the intersection of 290 and 71.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Joe Plano:
    Then from there we take 71w, 620N,2222E,360N, spicewood springs road, to 183N, to 1431W to marble falls.

You should go out 2222 W off of 620, where it goes down to 2 lane. When it T's into a stop sign (I can never remember the road #. I think it is called Velente Rd.) turn left and follow it to Lime Creek Rd. which only goes to the right (almost to the end of Velente).

Follow it to FM 1431, turn left and go to Marble Falls. Lime Creek is a very technical road and a lot of fun, as long as the local Austin squids aren't out in force. Your first time down it should be with caution, but it's worth it and a lot more fun than just heading out 183.

You need to check Austin's board. Craig, who rides with us on occasion, is asking about anyone riding tomorrow in Austin. You guys may be able to connect.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

I'm gonna scrap the idea for sunday. ( today )

I didn't give enough time. I'm so used to realtime chat, that I forget not everyone checks this board everyday, or so it seems.

Craig in Austin wants to ride early in the day, and, since its 5:30am now, theres no way I can make it to the SA ride [img]smile.gif[/img]

NEXT sunday though, I'mma try again.

I saw lime creek on the map, but wasnt sure if it was paved or not. I'd love to chase one of you guys thru there that knows the road [img]smile.gif[/img]

How bout right here in SA, whats your fav section of road? I tend to favor borne stage, scenic loop and babcock rd. And of course 46 and 36/16. Off of scenic loop, its a left, dont remember the name, but its real windy and comes out on I10, They just layed down some new tarmac on that one so I havent been on it....Only problem with these roads are the 40mph speed limit. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I dunno about anyone else here, but I run all three major instant messengers.. AOL ( Dorito0000) msn ( my email ), ICQ (264732).

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Joe Plano ]

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Joe Plano ]

If you squids wanna come up next Sunday and test the pavement of Lime Creek Road (that's capitalized for the uninitiated) just let us know, I'm sure we could put together a nice welcomming committee. LCR is great, 1431 is OK for a while, then construction gets in the way, but that's past the good stuff anyway.

I would make one change to the route comming up that Gary suggested. Once past Wimberely take CR170 (it's on the right once 12 turns into 4 lanes) to 150. Left on 150 for less than 1 mile, then right on 1826. Take 1826 to 45 (right), that will eventually feed you into Mopac. Take Mopac (also called Loop1) to 2222 and go left. Once at 620 and 2222 follow Gary's directions.

Of course the easiest thing to do is give us a time estimate for when you'll be at 32 & 12 and we can meet you there so you can follow us to the good stuff (provided those fat sluggish VFRs can keep up).

Brett
    Outlaw #1

quote:
    Originally posted by Brett:
    provided those fat sluggish VFRs can keep up

Although not much fun to be seen with, the fat ones always treat you better and are more fun to ride!

Craig

Question

So are you guys gonna be comming up this way Sunday? If so, let me know now so I can make sure to put a ride together.
    Outlaw #1

Question

Idaknow, I guess its up to the rest of the guys in SA..... Though, I can't do it early in the morning.