Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The insanity of helmets.

I didnt care for the new scorpian 1000 or whatever it is(they changd the shape) the 400 and 700 series rock though
    Marc
    Grunt
    K1200S BUMBLE BEE
    620 BABY DUC
    DR 125
    TTR 90
    RM 65
    PW 50
    PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
    TSBA#2303

The 1000 is heavy too.
    Philip
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by ZedX View Post
    Midget humping is bad for the knees. ...you've been warned....

Was trying to figure out how I missed this thread till someone pointed out it's a year old. FWIW, I am now carrying Vemar. I only ordered in a size run of the new Jiano flip-ups for starters, but can get any of the other models as needed. The ventillation on the Jiano doesn't look like it would be super effective, but the fit was just too good to pass up. Since I don't get to test the new things unless I want to buy them (being the owner doesn't mean I get free stuff, ya know), I hope to get some customer feedback on them soon. They look very nice, price is reasonable for a full featured flip-up.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Was trying to figure out how I missed this thread till someone pointed out it's a year old.
    Too true. Back when this thread was first posted I had a full head of hair, Sean had JUST dropped a bike for the first time, Miykl was still dating (dooods), Albie still rode, Hank was ride leader, Ben had a sportbike, the total Faisal count was 1, the price of a gallon of gas was $1.49, there was 1 metroplex TSBA chapter and the world was a kinder place...;-)>
    Bill "as mentioned in the DMN!"

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Need some info on the Dallas TSBA? Contact someone else

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob

2WheelTiger Guest

I still had a job....and Bill wasn't a squid.......

Quote Originally Posted by outrace View Post
    I was straight....and Bill was still a squid.......
    fixed...;-)>

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Since I don't get to test the new things unless I want to buy them (being the owner doesn't mean I get free stuff, ya know),

Nathan, either your industries a lot different then ours or you need to learn how to play the game. Seriously, I haven't paid for any paintball equipment in the last 10 years and I've got thousands of dollars worth of stuff.
    Albie

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Dallas chapter VP
    You can e-mail me at albie1 at gmail dot com

Nathan... is MotoLiberty SA open? if so I will try to send some folks your way.. and change your sig...
    Mitch

'02 919
    '95 KZ1000P
    '83 GS750E (waiting on major surgery)

And oh yeah scorpions... though with the 1000 they have gotten into the high dollar head bucket game... but it does have so pretty fancy features..
    Mitch

'02 919
    '95 KZ1000P
    '83 GS750E (waiting on major surgery)

Quote Originally Posted by Roseknight View Post
    Nathan... is MotoLiberty SA open? if so I will try to send some folks your way.. and change your sig...

http://bbs.tsba.org/showthread.php?t=41708

Was there Saturday and last night.
    Bryan B.
    2009 - 2012 San Antonio Chapter President
    Email Me.

04' ZX12R (Gone was a nice ride)
    11' ZX10R (OMG )

2WheelTiger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bvia View Post
    I was straight....and Bill was still a squid.......

fixed...;-)>
    You were a squid in 1954?

Don't worry, I'm not gonna complain about wearing one..... I just wanna gripe about BUYING one. This is sorta a segue from another thread....

My poor old Shoei X-11 is starting to show some signs of wear. With a mfg date of 10/02 it's to be expected. So I've gone online to look at replacements.

Holy moley! $540 is the cheapest I can find for an identical helmet. They haven't changed them at all in 5 years and they still cost $540! That's nucking futs!

Shoei helmets have always fit my head perfectly. So what I wanna find out is:

Have any of you "converted" from the expensive brand(s) to a moderately priced brand and been happy with your choice? What brand did you buy?
    If you want the same helmet why don't you just replace the insides with new inserts? I know the shell is what matters because it gets brittle and the outside has it's chips but I bet you the new one with the same design is Mfg. dated in 02. That's another issue with on-line store having overhead stock sitting around. They won't disclose the Mfg. dates unless you ask. At least when you go to places like CycleGear you can inspect the Mfg. dates.

As for the comment about converting. No, but I do have the lessor brands to use for daily commutes and rotations depending on what gear I wear that day or how the weather will be. (Hot and Cold or windy and raining) days out riding. Here's what I got that works well for me.

Shoei (X-11)- Track only (Fits great)

Arai (RX-7)- Special days like SMR or out of town rides (Fits great and looks great)

KBC- Going to work in the summer. Came with 2 screens as well. (Clear and dark) Has the tear off tabs for racing or back road rides for clearing off them butt bugs. It's a good helmet but what the heck...

Scorpian eXo- (Octane) Use for daily commutes and works great in the rain. Picked it up when I bought my new steed and I heard alot of good information prior to buying this brand. Think it's made in Canada and it's fair for what I need it for.
    http://www.motosport.com/street/product/SCORPION-EXO400-OCTANE/?psreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F search%253Fhl%257Cequalto%257Cen%257Camp%257Cq%257 Cequalto%257Cscorpion%2BExo&prodId=534637&CAWELAID=58480692&segment=badger-street

For your X-11 parts. I'm sure if you shop around you can find better sales.
    http://www.i-bike.com/store/prdBuy.cfm?prd=7162 Center pad
    http://www.i-bike.com/store/prdBuy.cfm?prd=7165 Cheek pads

Goodluck!
    Schreck

Mitch, sig is now changed and yes we're up and running.

Albie, I wish it worked that way in the moto industry. I have received a couple of freebies and extremely discounted items, but it's not the norm. Especially on the latest and greatest. Picking up displays or dealer samples at the end of the season sometimes happens. But, I don't get samples to take for extended test rides just for the sake of seeing if it's a worthy product or not. Many of the lines are sold by independent reps who have to purchase whatever they give away. So asking for freebies is asking to take money directly out of the pocket of the sales rep and they don't like to say yes very often.

Tony, sounds like you've figured out that some helmets work just that extra notch better for different uses, despite being basically similar. And it's very true. You can have two jackets that are roughly similar. But one is slightly baggier for wearing bulkier clothes underneath and more comfortable on longer trips, while the other is tighter so it flaps less if you are going to really tear it up. The same principle holds for helmets, boots or whatever. An inexperienced or non-riding perspective probably wouldn't notice the difference. But it's those subtleties that make certain bits of kit your favorite (or not). Acheiving that realization (like Tony has)really puts riders into the next level of motorcycle immersion and enjoyment. One point to clarify, though, the Scorpions are made in China like virtually every other budget to mid price helmet on the market. Still, they are a great value, offering mid to upper range features at low to mid level prices. Scorpion definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

Bill, you're old. :P

Andre, if you can find anything that fits your funky noggin, go for it!
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

You were a squid in 1954?
    HA! so you admit, in public that you're not straight! The "phantom outer" outs another deeply entrenched and hidden, gay male...;-)>

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Kasparov is quaking in his boots.
    Gregg Crow
    For information about the Panhandle TSBA contact me at pak714 at isp dot com or check out http://panhandlesportbike.com/

2WheelTiger Guest

HA! so you admit, in public that you're not straight! The "phantom outer" outs another deeply entrenched and hidden, gay male...;-)>
    Possibly the most confusing response you've ever written.

Possibly the most confusing response you've ever written.
    Without the hair acting as a solar shield, the brain is exposed to higher doses of solar radiation. I fear I'm soon to succumb to the ill effects of the crazy, bald guy syndrome..

2WheelTiger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by -=sean)=- View Post
    Without the hair acting as a solar shield, the brain is exposed to higher doses of solar radiation. I fear I'm soon to succumb to the ill effects of the crazy, bald guy syndrome..
    Not if you take your shirt off.

...and do the comb-upandover(from the back) maneuver...;-)>

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Vee4Rider is offline Have Bike, Will Travel. Wire Vee4Rider, Little Elm.

...and do the comb-upandover(from the back) maneuver...;-)>
    Isn't that hairstyle called a telluM???
    Hank Meyers - KLR650, RC46
    WHEN SECONDS COUNT, THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY!!!
    "You don't have to stick your head up a bull's a$$ to look at a T-bone steak, just visit a butcher's shop."
    "Now, don't do that again or we'll make you stand in the corner of your garage all day & look at wrecked motorcycle scraps!" - Hank Meyers
    -------
    TSBA,MSTA,IBA,AMA,NRA,TSRA

Not if you take your shirt off.
    Fortunately, when my brain goes, I can always count on my stomach to take up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by -=sean)=- View Post
    Fortunately, when my brain goes, I can always count on my stomach to take up the slack.
    Bawhahaha! LMFAO.....
    Schreck

I was going to post up and talk about my shiny new helmet but you guys went and had to talk about back hair comb overs....I'll take my PWing somewhere else and leave you guys to your metrosexual ways.
    Jake

My work is done here..

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas