Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Inter-Chapter Ride

I don't know any roads/eateries out east of 35 so I won't be any help in planning routes or fuel stops.
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

2009-2011 - Austin Chapter Admin
    2007-2008 - Austin Chapter President
    2005-2006 - Austin Chapter Secretary

I'll have to mark my calendar for 7/14 when I get home. I think I'm free though I might be lying. I hope I can make this one!!!
    Don B
    '05 SV650 - Sold
    Austin dropout

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
    I'll have to mark my calendar for 7/14 when I get home. I think I'm free though I might be lying. I hope I can make this one!!!
    Google Calendars man, never leave home without it.

http://www.google.com/calendar/
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Tindle View Post
    If not, how's everybody with meeting up in Flatonia again? Keith, what was the other place to eat there that was supposed to be pretty good? We could try that one this time.
    The "other" place was in Halletsville. If I recall it's called the City Market.
    Keith Foster
    2006 Red/Black Suzuki Hayabusa - 2006 Silver Kawasaki Ninja 650R - 2007 Team Green Kawaski KX450F

Nope - it wasn't City Market. I think it's Novosad's Meat Market. They made the list of the 50 best BBQ joints in a Texas Monthly article....

http://www.io.com/~xeke/bbq.htm
    Keith Foster
    2006 Red/Black Suzuki Hayabusa - 2006 Silver Kawasaki Ninja 650R - 2007 Team Green Kawaski KX450F

Halletsville would work for me. It's not very far from where we met last time and the ride route is also real close. Good BBQ, I'm there.

Thanks for looking into it Keith.

What do you all think? Does that sound like a plan?
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

OK...

I did a radius circle in MapPoint to see what was near the geographical center of a circle that included downtown Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and Ft. Worth. Didn't mean to exclude the RGV guys (but ya'll are WAY out there).

At any rate, the town closest to the center point is Cameron (about midway between Temple and College Station and right at 130 miles from H-Town, SA, and DFW).

I then took a second circle and drew out 35 miles to see what's in the general area surrounding Cameron (because I've eaten in Cameron and there ain't NOTHIN' there).

Well, the second circle included Taylor - which just so happens to have Louie Mueller's BBQ joint - and I gotta say it looks pretty darn good. Good enough for mention on the Travel Texas web site AND a Top 3 in the Texas Monthly BBQ ratings....

Here's their web site...

http://www.louiemuellerbarbeque.com/

Comments?
    Keith Foster

We missed going to Louie Mueller's at the Austin Movie Day. A couple of guys went into the place next door and everyone followed suit.

I'm good with Taylor but not sure if there are any decent routes around to help settle the grub down. Does anybody have any scouting experience around there?

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

I have NOT done this loop, but this looks pretty good. About 120 miles round trip...

Keith Foster

Expect me!

Je Ne Sais Quoi? All I want is a fast ride.
    (alias Fred) bringing u Rickey Torres Racing - Muchisimo
    www.lubedealer.com/ggsoal

We missed going to Louie Mueller's at the Austin Movie Day. A couple of guys went into the place next door and everyone followed suit.
    Wasn't Me.
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RichieUT View Post
    Wasn't Me.
    Yeah I know. By the time I got there, they were already in line ordering. It was still a great day though.

Keith, we won't know till we ride so that might be a good route. It's a little straight but there's not really a lot of curves in that part of the woods. It'll still be fun though. Daryl, have you ridden around in that area?

This is starting to shape up. Keep the input coming. Good job guys.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

As mentioned, I've not rode this loop so I can't comment on anything other than the fact that it begins and ends in Taylor (and that's half the battle).

Perhaps the Austin crowd can give us insight into their favorite roads on the East side. Last time I was in this area I seem to recall a lack of trees, but the roads were ok.
    Keith Foster

Why would we go east what we have all the beautiful hill country roads south and west?

Personally the only time I've ever ridden a road east of Austin was when Cindy was running that contest and I ran out to Dime Box.
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

Why would we go east what we have all the beautiful hill country roads south and west?
    Beats me. I'm just waiting for an Austinite to step up to the plate and post a better route...

Heck, I 'bout got 'em to move the start point to ya'lls backyard. You'd think the least the Austin gang could do is come up with some great after dinner entertainment.
    Keith Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Beats me. I'm just waiting for an Austinite to step up to the plate and post a better route...
    don't think any of us ever ride on the east side

Heck, I 'bout got 'em to move the start point to ya'lls backyard. You'd think the least the Austin gang could do is come up with some great after dinner entertainment.
    Can always go to the Rose... the Yellow one that is
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

This is about an inter chapter ride and I think the focus has moved to how best let DFW attend, hence Kieth looking at an option of Taylor, Tx.

I'm not a big fan of the ride up to Taylor, as I'm sure the Austinites wouldn't be either, but if it will draw members from each chapter I'll ride less attractive roads two or three times a year to meet up with everyone, and I think that's the whole point.

I'd still rather go out to Flatonia area as it will be better riding, however that may preclude anyone from DFW coming. However, I really haven't seen a lot of interest from them in this ride as it is.

So, Keith, the Austin guys probably can't help you with a route. The one you laid out doesn't look too bad, considering some of the choices out that way. We could ride down towards Bastrop, but that leads any DFW brethren further away from home.

We could always do just a meet and greet lunch type thing. We all ride whatever routes we want to get there, have a group lunch, BS, and ride our routes home. It's nice to ride together, but we have IBI's that can fill in there. Maybe this can just be a good excuse to ride somewhere new and meet up with fellow members.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

It only takes about 30-40 mins to get to Taylor from Austin, Flatonia I don't think is much farther than that just a different direction so either would be fine with any of us.

As far as when we meat and how we ride ..... as long as I'm on 2 wheels, the rubber is the part touching the pavement, and at some point I get to eat and BS, well then I'm a happy rider.
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

As far as when we meat and how we ride ..... as long as I'm on 2 wheels, the rubber is the part touching the pavement, and at some point I get to eat and BS, well then I'm a happy rider.

If some DFW folks want to ride down, then let's go with Taylor. If not, then let's go with Halletsville. Either place will have a road to go on a group ride with down south looking a little better. That was actually a pretty good ride all the way around.

Simple enough?

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by Inlaw1 View Post
    This is about an inter chapter ride and I think the focus has moved to how best let DFW attend, hence Keith looking at an option of Taylor, Tx.
    That was the idea. Flatonia and Halletsville are quite a bit closer for me and just a quick jog from our farm in Yoakum, but I was hoping to get the DFW bunch in on the fun as well.

Question is, did the DFW bunch not post because they figured we were going to Flatonia - or are they not able to make Taylor either?
    Keith Foster

Question is, did the DFW bunch not post because they figured we were going to Flatonia - or are they not able to make Taylor either?
    So far, all they've posted up is that they're waiting for some more details out of us. Oh, and also if we met in AR they'd show up.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Hallettsville sounds great to me...
    2006 Hayabusa Limited.

So far, all they've posted up is that they're waiting for some more details out of us. Oh, and also if we met in AR they'd show up.
    I am in!

I always have a free meal, bed, and garage waiting for me in College Station though so no need to factor in distance for me.
    Philip
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by ZedX View Post
    Midget humping is bad for the knees. ...you've been warned....

Quote Originally Posted by pdef View Post
    I am in!
    Excellent Phillip. Glad to have you along.

DFW folks, we'll be more than glad to meet up closer to your way if that means that some of you can make it. While riding is always an important part of what we do, this type of event is more for getting people from the different chapters together to put a face with the bbs name. Oh yeah, and eating too.

I figured out that Taylor is about 110 miles from Hillsboro and that's slabbin' as far as Waco. Depending on where you live in the metroplex, it's not too far out of line with some of the rest of us.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Can't wait to ride man. The 14th looks good!

Je Ne Sais Quoi? All I want is a fast ride.
    (alias Fred) bringing u Rickey Torres Racing - Muchisimo
    www.lubedealer.com/ggsoal