Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motopia going private (club-like)

Default Motopia going private (club-like)

http://www.motopiacafe.com/membership.php

Motopia is going private in 2009!

Motopia is going private in 2009 to better serve its select customer base. Motopia is taking its original concept of providing a one-stop shop to a very specific customer base to the next level. The current customer base has learned to appreciate the unique value proposition that a place like Motopia can deliver, from a friendly business environment to work or meet to a comfortable place to just hang out with people with similar interests such as motorcycles.

Starting in January 2009, Motopia will become a member-only club with a limited number of only 100 memberships available. All memberships will be reviewed by a membership committee to help in the development of a cohesive membership. Motopia will operate as member-owned club where profits, if any, are distributed back to its members on an annual basis. Memberships are transferable and can be sold at any time with membership committee approval.
    Rob

'84 VF500F
    '01 VFR800FI -- Too sporty for cruisers, too comfortable for squids.

Very interesting!
    Justin R (member # 2296)
    Subsiste Sermonem Statim

Hmmmm..interesting....Make a d@mn fine club house. Treasurer...prepare the accout for a Dallas TSBA Motopia take over!
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

10k a month coming in from dues alone...

I bet a certain Bueller is already on the membership list.
    Justin R (member # 2296)
    Subsiste Sermonem Statim

Quote Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
    I bet a certain Bueller is already on the membership list.
    hope so...

GuestsInvite guests when accompanied by a member

Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

2WheelTiger Guest

If I was in Dallas, I'd be all over this like white on rice. $100 a month for an office?

no kidding.... I was looking at all the things that members get and it's totally worth it.

Carlos Muriel
    "Speedy McSpeed"
    TSBA RGV Chapter Geek/WebmasterCowbell Sensei
    2008 Ducati 848 Slave I
    2003 CBR600RR TIE/x1 Fighter --- Sold to a Corellian Smuggler
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

http://mandalorian.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MaseK12rs View Post
    I'm a Honda guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelTiger View Post
    If I was in Dallas, I'd be all over this like white on rice. $100 a month for an office?
    That's clearly the value proposition to me.

Motorcycle shop, business-friendly environment and good coffee, 2 miles from my house.

2008 Buell 1125r - Boils Pasta, Steams Rice, Roasts Duc, Wins Tractor Pulls.
    2006 Buell XB12r - Bruising Ur Ego, Linguini Licker!
    2006 Honda ST1300 - No, I won't carry your extra whatever on the ride.
    2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Cool

Actually, it caught me as a desperation move to stay in business. I can't imagine there are 100 people willing to pay $100 a month ($1,200 a year, plus join up fees) to be members...members of what? You still have to pay for everything else too.

That's a lot of money I could spend on other things.
    Ben H.

that place always smells like poo to me...
    Marc
    Grunt
    K1200S BUMBLE BEE
    620 BABY DUC
    DR 125
    TTR 90
    RM 65
    PW 50
    PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
    TSBA#2303

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    Actually, it caught me as a desperation move to stay in business.
    Well, I happen to be privy to some of the internal discussions that drove this decision and know to some degree what the numbers look like. Ask me in person and I'll tell you more.

From my perspective, it's much more about an owner who started the cafe as a side project between businesses after having sold his previous one resulting in a very lucrative personal liquidity event. Now he's bored, wants to start his next business, and put the cafe on auto-pilot. To my knowledge, the Garage makes its nut and will continue to be open to the public.

The membership plan includes a redistribution of any profits back to the members, so if it's a plan to make a bunch a money for the owner, it's been horribly constructed.

I wouldn't expect a large number of TSBA members to be interested in memberships -- most of y'all don't live down here, don't work at home (and need a meeting place with a printer, scanner, etc.), and wouldn't benefit. But, I know he's already in the 20s in terms of people signing up -- those are the guys I see in the place day after day after day, sitting in their spot, working away, just like me.

2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Quote Originally Posted by jdugger View Post
    But, I know he's already in the 20s in terms of people signing up -- those are the guys I see in the place day after day after day, sitting in their spot, working away, just like me.
    So he's looking to collect some rent on those chairs you free loaders occupy everyday.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Unless I hop employers, I'll be working from home by the end of Feb.
    Rob

'84 VF500F

Quote Originally Posted by windsor View Post
    Unless I hop employers, I'll be working from home by the end of Feb.
    With the exception of a 2-year stint with Symantec, I've pretty much worked from home since 2000, and have on-and-off from around '95 on.

I once liked it, now I mostly hate it.

It's good to have a place that separates work from home. And, it's good to get out of the house. Cabin fever sets in quickly, and it's too easy to just stay there for days at a time.

2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

With the exception of a 2-year stint with Symantec, I've pretty much worked from home since 2000, and have on-and-off from around '95 on..
    Haven't know you that long.... but seams you flew to NY for work weekly not all that long ago. How does that qualify as WFH? ...or did you block out the days amonst the Yankees?
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Well, "WFH" doesn't negate business-related travel, it generally means that your "office mailing address" is the same as your home address.
    Rob

'84 VF500F

Cool

I know he's already in the 20s in terms of people signing up -- those are the guys I see in the place day after day after day, sitting in their spot, working away, just like me.
    So do you think there are 100 people that would pay $100 a month to sit there "day after day"? Timing sucks...layoffs, economy, etc. I just see it as such a niche business with limited space (for 100 dudes to sit around).

Good luck to him.

I work from home too (4 days a week), and could basically work from anywhere with an internet connection. I'd rather be here than someplace like that, or a Starbucks. To each his own...
    Ben H.

Quote Originally Posted by Miykl View Post
    Haven't know you that long.... but seams you flew to NY for work weekly not all that long ago. How does that qualify as WFH? ...or did you block out the days amonst the Yankees?
    Well, I left that out.

I worked from home (no other office to go to) from 2000 to 2004, then commuted to CA for a year, had an office for 6mo, then worked at home until I had that NY gig for four months, now I'm back at home.

So, still about two years not working from home, but that's it.

2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

man...you have a hard time keeping a job huh?
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    So do you think there are 100 people that would pay $100 a month to sit there "day after day"? Timing sucks...layoffs, economy, etc. I just see it as such a niche business with limited space (for 100 dudes to sit around).
    Time will tell, won't it?

Generically, private business clubs like this not only exist, they do well and have been around a long, long time. The Tower Club in downtown Dallas has *1,200*+ members paying more than $100 a month, and it's one of a dozen or two non-golf private clubs in Dallas-Ft. Worth alone. The Tower Club has been around more than 20 years.

http://www.clubcorp.com/club/scripts...LUBS&SUBGRP=32

ClubCorp is a publically traded company based right here in Dallas that owns a few tens of these kinds of clubs across the country. And, there are independents in each city as well. So, the concept of a private business club is hardly a novelty.

Motopia is more niche because of the casual atmosphere and motorcycle theme compared to a traditional private business club. So, I really don't have a feel for marketability. But, in a town with a million people and a location a mile away from Highland Park, seems like to me finding 100 people to cough up $100/mo doesn't seem out of reach.

Also, I don't think everyone who's interested plans to be there every day. You might be surprised at how many will pay that fee just to have a quiet place they can go to near their clients and customers, etc.

2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Quote Originally Posted by Miykl View Post
    man...you have a hard time keeping a job huh?

Nah, I had the same job (Tonic 5-6 years) until Symantec (2 years), then the 4mo stint and now my current job.

2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Nah, I had the same job (Tonic 5-6 years) until Symantec (2 years), then the 4mo stint and now my current job.
    note the ""
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

2WheelTiger Guest

What he'd best hope for is that there isn't 100% occupancy every day.

BigRoach Guest

I think that sucks.

Seems like the punch line to my stereo type of Harley Riders - instead of actually riding their $30K piece of butt jewelry they can park it at Mototopia and sit around sipping lattes complementing eachother on how successful they are.
    Jake