Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motopia going private (club-like)

2WheelTiger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tweek View Post
    Seems like the punch line to my stereo type of Harley Riders - instead of actually riding their $30K piece of butt jewelry they can park it at Mototopia and sit around sipping lattes complementing eachother on how successful they are.
    The ex-Ducatisti who contracts from home is sayin' this? C'mon dude, you know you wanna!

Some of us are the target market. My shaftie, Jim's beltie, and your chainie will fit just fine in the parking lot.

Right now, me and my burst spleen, no riding azz are hoofing it to cowtown to take care of Pier1. That won't be changing until at least March.

But yeah - it's a forgone conclusion that I'll be getting another Duc next year. I'll thrash the 500 around the track as suggested to see if I can make it moon walk around MSR's 1.3 miler.
    Jake

The Stainless Steel Rat, eh?
    Bill "as mentioned in the DMN!"

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Need some info on the Dallas TSBA? Contact someone else

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob

Sort of a 180 from John Gault.
    Jake

Default Motopia -I signed up

I signed up for the private club. I met with Rene (Sunday) and I think there are a couple of themes that work.

1. My Motorcycle Club
    2. My Office

The shop, by the way, will be open to the public. I have found Jason (mechanic) to be very good. Being able to ride in, setup office, take conference calls, print, fax, and have great coffee and a good lunch while the bike is being worked on has been a God-send. I do the non critical stuff on my bike but when it comes to suspension, changing tires, and the all important front brake system - I use an expert.

Bad economy to get people to spend $100 a month agreed. However, the theme is to create a "destination location" for rides and I will be active in trying to set up Motopia track events as I learn my way in that area. I am talking to Rene about having Jason do a "Track Prep" service that can do everthing to ensure your bike is ready for the track instead of monkeying with it even down to taping and safety wire and if you need a tire change right before track day it is a "sure thing".

Key is to create a strong "event" focus so there is a lot of Dallas area riders that can come to "their club" and of course guests are free. I think there are two groups that could benefit (street and mixed off-road riders) that could have a dedicated ridemaster focus for ride events. When you combine TSBA rides with this there are benefits to having a sure thing when it comes to having a ride location. 100 people in all of Dallas and surrounding areas that want to create something unique - yes I think it will work but it will take time and most of all "member participation".

BTW the Sunday rides are awesome and I have met a lot of great folks on those rides. Ever been sitting at home on a Saturday and seeing awesome weather but maybe you didn't reach out to ensure that you had a group of riders to ride with on Sunday? Having a dedicated place that always has a Sunday ride is so convenient. Have another ride.. fine.. but I rarely get caught without a ride on Sunday now. You walk in.. get a Marcuzzi Italiean expresso, wake up a bit.. then get into a well planned (usually gps enabled) ride and you don't have to mess too much with routes.. just follow and enjoy! Usually back by 1:00 and ride some more or get back to those families.

Dallas folks - could use this as one of our meeting locations by the way!

As for the Office angle there are companies that charge over $1000-2000 a month for office space, receptionist, etc., and not nearly as nice so I think there are at least 50 people that would leverage this for entertaining clients with a unique twist.

Hope to see many of you at Motopia "Club". Key is for it to be a Club..not just another Cafe. It isn't just for international bikes.. I see all types. It's fun to be on rides with 1098's, MV Augusta's, etc., just watch out as their tiny brake lights are hard to see

Regards,
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

New Race Bike (2011 ZX10R ABS)

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

GSXR 750 (Retired Track Bike - for sale)

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

Quote Originally Posted by fairing lurker View Post
    Ever been sitting at home on a Saturday and seeing awesome weather but maybe you didn't reach out to ensure that you had a group of riders to ride with on Sunday?
    The Dallas TSBA has been offering this to it's members for over a decade...;-)>

Welcome aboard, did you make the 12.15.08 SMR?
    Bill "as mentioned in the DMN!"

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Need some info on the Dallas TSBA? Contact someone else

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob

How many hours did ol Digdug waste and how much money needlessly spent b/c the Motopia wrench didn't show up? ...sure hope reliability is better when you are both paying to be a member and paying for the service.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Cool

Motopia is a good concept and seems to be a nice place (based on my 1 visit there), but no way would I pay $100 a month to be a member. I can understand how some folks would, and that's cool too.

I might try to swing by someday and do a ride with the group there. Where do they typically go from that location (in general) for the 4 or 5 hour rides? Starting from Motopia, do they usually head east...north...where?
    Ben H.

Just wondering if the shop is open to the public, how are non-members going to be segregated from members.
    Albie

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Dallas chapter VP
    You can e-mail me at albie1 at gmail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    Motopia is a good concept and seems to be a nice place (based on my 1 visit there), but no way would I pay $100 a month to be a member. I can understand how some folks would, and that's cool too.

I might try to swing by someday and do a ride with the group there. Where do they typically go from that location (in general) for the 4 or 5 hour rides? Starting from Motopia, do they usually head east...north...where?
    Would their rides not be closed to non-members? I figure I'm paying $100 a month, I don't want some schmuck on a clapped out air head ruining the ambiance.
    Albie

Dallas chapter VP

Quote Originally Posted by Hood Ornament View Post
    how are non-members going to be segregated from members.
    They have a literal room beneath the stairs. Top secret stuff goes on there. Become a member if you want to find out. ....otherwise mind your own buisness.

Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Cool

Would their rides not be closed to non-members? I figure I'm paying $100 a month, I don't want some schmuck on a clapped out air head ruining the ambiance.
    Hey...at least the tires are mounted in the right direction.

And that's just mean calling me a "clapped out air head"...I still remember some stuff.
    Ben H.

BigRoach Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZedX View Post
    How many hours did ol Digdug waste and how much money needlessly spent b/c the Motopia wrench didn't show up? ...sure hope reliability is better when you are both paying to be a member and paying for the service.
    Wuh?

...Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRoach View Post
    Wuh?

...Please explain.
    Digdug stores his inventory of tires at Motopia. He needed to have a set installed b4 an AR ride. Tech was a no show. 12 hours and $600 (?) later he has a set installed and slabbed to AR after dark.

...he later broke his "lifetime part" drive belt...
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Hey...at least the tires are mounted in the right direction.

And that's just mean calling me a "clapped out air head"...I still remember some stuff.
    I mount my tires backwards to separate me from the heard!
    Albie

Dallas chapter VP

Default service and ride questions

First - now that I have access to the TSBA forum I see a lot more ride activity so I will certainly join some rides. The ride out around Lake Tawakoni this Sunday was excellent despite the high winds. Got the Triumph out (with hard bags on to reduce liklihood of being pulled over).

As for Motopia rides you can bring a guest as long as you have a member friend on the ride and potential members would be allowed to join.

The shop is open to the public. Not clear how to segregate but suffice to say if you are getting service you can enjoy the benefit of Motopia. There is some leakage/opp for non members to not join but many riders use it as a vitrual office and a 10% discount on service is part of the membership. Depending on the bike (Ducati might be higher from what I hear) the 10% off adds up and now that I am riding more properly I am quickly usinng up the sides of my tires instead of just the center (doh!) so I will fortunately / or unfortunately benefit from this discount.

I have had great success and Jason (new mechanic) as the other mechanic was a good guy but not a reliable mechanic (broke some tabs on my triumph fairing). Jason has even come in on Sunday when someone has had a problem. Service has been very reasonable to date and high quality. There will always be something a mechanic doesn't do exactly perfect so it is easy to find something wrong with any mechanical service; however, I was surprised to hear of a no show as he has been quite reliable (was this the old mechanic that was fired?). Having him install the new damper I just bought for the ZX7R as it is a critical component I will only trust to an expert.

regards
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

New Race Bike (2011 ZX10R ABS)

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

GSXR 750 (Retired Track Bike - for sale)

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

I mount my tires backwards to separate me from the heard!
    yeh Darwinism at its finest
    Marc
    Grunt
    K1200S BUMBLE BEE
    620 BABY DUC
    DR 125
    TTR 90
    RM 65
    PW 50
    PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
    TSBA#2303

Quote Originally Posted by fairing lurker View Post
    however, I was surprised to hear of a no show as he has been quite reliable (was this the old mechanic that was fired?).
    dunno...knowing Dugger...it was likely his own fault!
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Cool

dunno...knowing Dugger...it was likely his own fault!
    Where is the "little buddy"* anyway? Unlike him to miss a SMR and his 40 or 50 posts a day.

* Kind of reminds you of Gilligan, doesn't he?
    Ben H.

digdug makes gilligan look cool
    Marc
    Grunt
    K1200S BUMBLE BEE
    620 BABY DUC
    DR 125
    TTR 90
    RM 65
    PW 50
    PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
    TSBA#2303

Where is the "little buddy"* anyway? Unlike him to miss a SMR and his 40 or 50 posts a day.

* Kind of reminds you of Gilligan, doesn't he?
    He's busy persuing other interests off site. ...along with many of us PW's. We found a way to have our cake and eat it too. You are welcome to a slice if you want.

He was at ERC instead of the last SMR.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

He's busy persuing other interests off site. ...along with many of us PW's. We found a way to have our cake and eat it too. You are welcome to a slice if you want.

He was at ERC instead of the last SMR.
    Word on the street is that Jim now has a track addiction to go along with his AR addiction. He joined ECR!!
    His SMR days will be minimal.
    Ben G
    Dallas Secy & Tres
    "Giallo Duc"
    Quack Addict
    www.goodingcm.com
    Those are your balls. This is your brain. One will steer you into trouble. The other will steer you out of it.

zippy that avatar is greatness
    Marc
    Grunt
    K1200S BUMBLE BEE
    620 BABY DUC
    DR 125
    TTR 90
    RM 65
    PW 50
    PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
    TSBA#2303

Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post