Thread: Ride on Sunday - Lake Tawakoni Motopia

Default Ride on Sunday - Lake Tawakoni Motopia

Hi all,
    Posting for first time (thanks Sean for fixing my login name).

Motopia Cafe (http://www.motopiacafe.com/) usually has Sunday rides starting early (stands up by 8:30 typically) and this one on Sunday December 14 is to Lake Tawakoni and it looks like awesome weather.

Rides are sane and all types of bikes attend (mostly European) but I occasionally bring my Kawi if there are good twisties. My Triumph is feeling lonely lately so I might bring that. Lots of Duc's, an occaisional MV, Triumph, BMW, and even a Harley or cruiser and of course a Japanese bike or two so it really isn't just for the international crowd. The rides are very well planned with GPS assist and more sport focused with no stunting (never have seen a 12 o'clock bar on a Duc but it could happen). Just don't try to keep up with Rene (the owner) in his BMW Adventurer ... deceivingly fast on the corners with no apparent body lean. Usually stop for breakfast somewhere along the way or at the destination and then ride back by 1:00 or so.

Check out the site and just show up. Sometimes they leave later but if you think they may leave later than 8:30am that is usually when they leave at 8:28am so be there before 8:30 all gassed up or you may miss out.

p.s. Doubt I will make it to XMas event on Saturday and I missed the last meeting because of work so I hope to catch up with you soon.

Regards
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

New Race Bike (2011 ZX10R ABS)

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

GSXR 750 (Retired Track Bike - for sale)

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

Hey Mark... good to see you over here! Missed you on the Edom ride when Triumphs were a little less than Triumphant that morning!

Won't make it this week...

2008 Buell 1125r - Boils Pasta, Steams Rice, Roasts Duc, Wins Tractor Pulls.
    2006 Buell XB12r - Bruising Ur Ego, Linguini Licker!
    2006 Honda ST1300 - No, I won't carry your extra whatever on the ride.
    2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Welcome Mark.

Just so you know there's another option also...http://bbs.tsba.org/showthread.php?t=44918

The more options to ride, the better!!
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Default Triumph better but jealous

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Yeah I was really looking forward to Edom on the ol brit ...the other Triumph had a flat and it turned out that my negative lead came loose and was apparently arcing away (no wonder my arse was so warm) and melted the battery terminal to bits. New battery.. green loctite and insulating spray on the leads and all is good now. Gotta get an hour in of riding now while there's some sunshine... See you at the next one.

Regards,
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

Finally made it on eh?
    Mike N - Blog
    '07 CBR 600RR | '03 VTX1300 | '01 DRZ-400E SM (parting out)

NovoWorks Color Imaging | SoapFX Professional Hand Cleaner

Welcome Mark!!
    Ben G
    Dallas Secy & Tres
    "Giallo Duc"
    Quack Addict
    www.goodingcm.com
    Those are your balls. This is your brain. One will steer you into trouble. The other will steer you out of it.

welcome fellow Mark/Marc
    Marc
    Grunt
    K1200S BUMBLE BEE
    620 BABY DUC
    DR 125
    TTR 90
    RM 65
    PW 50
    PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
    TSBA#2303

Default Glad to be here

Yeah Mike I am finally on! ok I am having Avatar envy with Ben and Marc.. that chair could be just the thing to create a nice motorcycle seat as I keep sliding up into the tank on the Kawi so my voice is higher now...and well the other avatar... is self explanatory (yummy).. Mike is that you on your avatar? cool pic.. Seeing how much fun Albie has on his Motard (if that is the right word for his Aprilia) makes me want to get into offroad and learn to "fly" but I need to focus...focus .. focus.. on the bikes I have...

Just to make a "on topic" comment - any of you been to Lake Tawakoni before? Trying to decide whether to take the Triumph (sweeping turns and long ride fun but not very good for serious twisties) vs the ZX7R ( for seriously fun 15-20 turns and switchbacks that can actually challenge her). Not sure the route yet but typically sport bike focused vs cruiser focused and I really need to pay some attention to my Triumph for a change.

Reading through the posts.. lots of "interesting" stuff. Funny how each forum has distinct personality differences.. Rat Net Forum for Triumph is definitely an older more conservative crowd but plenty of amazing deep technical talent, WERA forum has been great for spending too much $$$ on used bike gear and reading posts from great riders and occasional knocked up girlfriends blasting their boyfriends (funny.. you'll find it if you look) , sportbike.net and ZX forum has great Kawi info etc.,, Looking forward to chatting with locals here that I will actually meet and ride with and arranging /participating on rides.

This forum has some legistlative stuff for TSBA and seems to be run more seriously relative to chapters and rules of conduct. I'll try to behave but PM me if I have too much fun. Wow 19 folks at the last Dallas TSBA meeting in really crappy weather (wish I could have made it to catch up). As usual I won't hesitate to reach out to you guys and girls for advice and counsel as I started riding in December of last year and now one year later have 18k miles on the Triumph and a little over 2k miles on the new/old ZX7R and I still have a lot to learn!

Heard the track is open this weekend at Eagles Canyon but I need more of a training oriented track experience and none there that I can see. Let me know of any track days coming up please. I really liked the Texas Track Days info that seemed to have more instructors per person than say a Ridesmart but they seem like a good outfit for those that have more experience. Got the tire warmers, trailer, generator, and pig of a bike that can at least do dual street/track duty until I get more dedicated to track/racing. Unfortunately.. I've got "no skills" compared to most of you ... as you can see from my sponsor who felt their logo was perfect for me..

regards and hope to see some of you on Sunday. Gotta take my daughter to a movie (she's 11 and still doesn't mind being seen with her Old man). Have fun on your Saturday party..sounds fun!
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

Quote Originally Posted by fairing lurker View Post
    Hi all,
    Just don't try to keep up with Rene (the owner) in his BMW Adventurer ... deceivingly fast on the corners with no apparent body lean.
    must .....
    resist......
    the......
    challenge.......
    Darren Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin View Post
    must .....
    resist......
    the......
    challenge.......

now, now Darren.....you've put your quoto of "competitors" in the ditch for this year... Must wait till 09 b4 you can start again.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin View Post
    must .....
    resist......
    the......
    challenge.......
    I'll go with you sometime...we can sandwich the dude...BMW's aren't that fast anyway.
    Ben H.

Thumbs up .

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    I'll go with you sometime...we can sandwich the dude...BMW's aren't that fast anyway.

Mooo-hooo-hahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    P
    e
    t
    e
    r

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    ...BMW's aren't that fast anyway.
    Are you the newest reporter for The Obvious Times, online edition?
    Bill "as mentioned in the DMN!"

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Need some info on the Dallas TSBA? Contact someone else

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob