Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting out fines in jail?

BigRoach Guest

Default Sitting out fines in jail?

Has anybody ever turned themselves in to sit out a fine in jail? I have heard that you can just go sit in jail on nights and weekends or something like that if you can't pay for tickets.

I'll probaly have a change of heart when it comes down to actually chosing to go to jail, but I'm just curious if anybody has done it, or knows more about it, like maybe a lawyer or something.

I owe Plano like $400, and I feel like that would be better spent on other things, and I could just make the cops give me free room and board instead. I could bring a couple of books, put on a nice comfy orange jumpsuit, and veg out for a weekend or two. Or maybe if they allow it, I could just go from work to jail to work to jail for a few nights until my debt is paid.

good luck, be sure to armor-plate your 5th point of contact.
    Rob

'84 VF500F
    '01 VFR800FI -- Too sporty for cruisers, too comfortable for squids.

Might even step up your social life too. "Hey Bubba. I'm Ben. I'm gonna be your b!tch ....errr...roommate.... for the night."

Last edited by ZedX; January 9th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Michael
    2011 Ninja 1000 aka Z1000SX aka old man Ninja
    2004 ZX6R track bike

Cool

I had the pleasure of spending one night in jail in my youth...cured me in a hurry. I've been a good boy ever since.

You have fun with that!
    Ben H.

btw- most times you have fines they will work out a payment plan. They really just want the money.
    Michael
    2004 ZX6R track bike

I say F-that, I'd rather pay

Carlos Muriel
    "Speedy McSpeed"
    TSBA RGV Chapter Geek/WebmasterCowbell Sensei
    2008 Ducati 848 Slave I
    2003 CBR600RR TIE/x1 Fighter --- Sold to a Corellian Smuggler
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

http://mandalorian.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MaseK12rs View Post
    I'm a Honda guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    I had the pleasure of spending one night in jail in my youth...cured me in a hurry. I've been a good boy ever since.
    , although I'm not sure Plano's suburban jail would be as bad as the place I spent the night. Still, I'm sure it wouldn't be the book club, come and go on your schedule, veg out to pay off the fine, weekend retreat he's hoping for. Good things don't happen when surrounded only by criminals, losers, drunks, and delinquents.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

I have no personal experience but worked with a guy who did just that in Houston. Had a speeding ticket go to warrant, $300+ including the warrent fee. Went downtown on a saturday night and turned himself in. The jail was so over crowded, they just processed his paper work and sent him home. He said he was there maybe a total of two hours.

He claimed it was less hassle than going to court, 2+ hours and then spending another 2+ hours trying to pay his fine, along with the expense of missing work and the hassle to park & pay at Reisner, and he saved himself $300 plus. Anyone who's been to Reisner street knows what I mean.
    Last edited by The Big Spank Daddy; January 9th, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Chris Donnelly
    '96 GPZ1100, '93 750 Nighthawk
    '98 Ford Explorer
    Ada, OK

Yes, in my heydays I have spent time in jail to pay a fine or two. You have to keep in account the facility. The hotel where I had grown up was fairly pleasant for a jail. Some friends were there, we could smoke cigarettes, watch cable TV, call family collect, lots of board games and card playing! Almost sounds like a vacation don't you think! All in all that situation was not that bad.
    On the other hand, very little time held in major city jails completely suck! You get beet up by guards, bums stink up the place, TB shots, you will probably catch something! A cold, flu, etc..... The moldy food is awful, so just don't eat it!
    So, if your fines are in a county, city, etc. where the jail is not very populated, and clean like a hotel a person might think about it. If it would be like Corpus Christi (the worst) or San Antonio, I would get a few more part time jobs and just give them there money.

Heck, the last time I was arrested was in Feb. 2005 in Aurora, CO. They arrested a sober designated driver and let my drunk barely awake passenger girlfriend go. So after blowing in there blow machine at the jail and after the a$$hole jailor said how cute I was, they had to let me go. If I were poor half brown/white trash that situation would have netted me a lot of money for the treatment they had given me!
    Last edited by funky monkey; January 9th, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more
    Brian B
    CMRA #??? Hardly even a part timer anymore
    TMGP #89 Expert Look out world mini's rule

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    seedy side of KC/KS.

To top it off, they dropped the charges after I spent the night in the pokey! (I didn't do what they were claiming, oddly enough)
    Rob

'84 VF500F

Cool

Well...maybe you can call ahead and book a tour of the amenities before making the final decision! City jail might be lovely...county is not.

Heck in Plano they might even have a Starbucks and cable TV (complete with HBO).
    Ben H.

So... you got a fine of some sort and instead of working to pay the road use tax, you'd rather cost the tax payers money and sit on your arse watching tv and reading a book in jail? Is this a sign of things to come for your future?
    Michael
    2004 ZX6R track bike

Talking

So the citizens of Plano will be buying you three hots and a cot.
    Ben G
    Dallas Secy & Tres
    "Giallo Duc"
    Quack Addict
    www.goodingcm.com
    Those are your balls. This is your brain. One will steer you into trouble. The other will steer you out of it.

BigRoach Guest

Unfortunately jail is nothing new to me. The idea of voluntarily going to jail however, would be a new experience.

This would be the City of Plano Jail, not Attica, Alcatraz or Huntsville , and I'm sure their facilities couldn't be any worse than Dallas or the other places I've visited. And I seriously doubt anybody in Plano lockup would be willing to try and make me their bi***.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedX View Post
    So... you got a fine of some sort and instead of working to pay the road use tax, you'd rather cost the tax payers money and sit on your arse watching tv and reading a book in jail? Is this a sign of things to come for your future?

There is another option. Just don't pay it. It would not cost tax payers as much (Just a few dollars in postage and letters reminding you of this bill generated by ones opinion versus another.). Plus, you can really feel like a rebel!
    Actually, if millions of Texans refused to pay simple meaningless tickets, they would be in a economic pinch as well. A snowball affect would than have less traffic officers writing tickets, fewer patrol cars polluting, a courthouse not overpacked with people losing overwhelming amounts of money due to loss of work (wages) etc. It almost sounds like it could work!
    Honestly not picking on our judicial system or peace officers in general just having a little fun.
    Brian B

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Good things don't happen when surrounded only by criminals, losers, drunks, and delinquents.
    A little over 10 years ago I spent about 10 hours in jail one night. Dang, I did some dumb things. All of which evolved around traffic fines. Well about 6-8 months later at a gas station check out some guy looks at me and says the dreaded "Don't I know you from somewhere?" Honestly, I couldn't figure out who he was. But, after about 30 seconds of thought in front of all of my friends he yells out in front of everyone. "You were in jail with me a few months ago right?" Hmmmm the dude was right! That right there is a lot of public embarrassment! At least it wasn't in front of my employer or Grandma.
    Brian B

Quote Originally Posted by funky monkey View Post
    in front of all of my friends he yells out in front of everyone. "You were in jail with me a few months ago right?" Hmmmm the dude was right! That right there is a lot of public embarrassment! At least it wasn't in front of my employer or Grandma.
    Michael
    2004 ZX6R track bike

Quote Originally Posted by funky monkey View Post
    A little over 10 years ago I spent about 10 hours in jail one night. Dang, I did some dumb things. All of which evolved around traffic fines. Well about 6-8 months later at a gas station check out some guy looks at me and says the dreaded "Don't I know you from somewhere?" Honestly, I couldn't figure out who he was. But, after about 30 seconds of thought in front of all of my friends he yells out in front of everyone. "You were in jail with me a few months ago right?" Hmmmm the dude was right! That right there is a lot of public embarrassment! At least it wasn't in front of my employer or Grandma.

What kind of bird can't fly??

Jailbird

Roach, this just might be your roomie!!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...i/Jailbird.jpg
    Ben G
    Dallas Secy & Tres
    "Giallo Duc"
    Quack Addict
    www.goodingcm.com
    Those are your balls. This is your brain. One will steer you into trouble. The other will steer you out of it.

I say go for it! Better you then me.
    Albie

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Dallas chapter VP
    You can e-mail me at albie1 at gmail dot com

Just eat a whole lot of beans, eggs and cheese and finish it with a tall glass of milk a couple of hours before you "check-in", then rip one every few minutes. You should be o.k. for at least a few hours.
    Mark
    VFR1200F

Default Good News Roach

Mix and Match to meet your obligation

How can a prisoner resolve a City of Plano Class C misdemeanor warrant?

* Pay the fine in cash
    * Post a cash or surety bond
    * Be released "Time served" after acquiring enough Jail Credit
    * A combination of bonds, Jail Credit and cash payment
    Ben G
    Dallas Secy & Tres
    "Giallo Duc"
    Quack Addict
    www.goodingcm.com

That's the warrant, not fine. (no such thing as posting bond on a fine)
    Last edited by windsor; January 9th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Rob

'84 VF500F

Quote Originally Posted by windsor View Post
    That's the warrant, not fine. (no such thing as posting bond on a fine)

Hmm, it appears someone else has been down this orange suit road as well!

It would be kind of funny if the TSBA as a whole were more criminal than congress! Possible, but hardly!
    Brian B

haha.

no, no personal experience on that particular one.
    Rob

'84 VF500F

Default jail time benefits

Haven't done jail yet but I always concerned about getting clocked on a spirited ride (more about the turns than straight speed but sometimes I have to curse myself as I look down and get surprised by three digits on the speedo.. dumb and not as interesting as a nice corner but hard to keep it down in the wide open) and anything over 100 I think is "go directly to jail and an impounded bike".

However on the plus side:

Don't forget the free tattoo.

Maybe you will even meet the person that stole your bike!

Then you can put your cell block # on your bike and maybe folks will say "hey that's one of our own.. don't steel that bike"

Hit a bar up before and after and talk to a girl about it since you will officially be a "bad boy" and some of them really like that....

regards,
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

New Race Bike (2011 ZX10R ABS)

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

GSXR 750 (Retired Track Bike - for sale)

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i