Thread: I suck and need help

Default I suck and need help

So lots has changed in my life and as such, I have been sucking as a TSBA member and especially as the Secretary. Am I even technically the Secretary any more? I wouldn't be surprised if I was voted out and replaced. Anyway...

I haven't been on my moto in a looooong time. I'm actually planning to sell it. I'd like to get it inspected first though so the buyer is assured that it works fine despite the scuffs and he/she won't have trouble getting it registered. However, I can't quite get the rear brake sorted. I press the pedal and nothing. I've replaced the fluid and bled it so it worked fine for a little bit but while taking it to the dealer to get inspected (like the next day), it stopped working again. I got frustrated and gave it a break so it's been sitting on the back burner since...oh...July-ish. Time to get it fixed.

Again, I suck. Anything I'm overlooking? I'm sure the bleeder valve is tight (no fluid dripping out) and I've never removed the brake line from the caliper. I'm mechanically able but having some trouble with this one. Any advice/knowledge/experience is welcome. If anyone would like to help me out in person by sharing their skillz, I can ride it to your place or you can come to mine. Either way, I'm buying the pizza and beer.
    Don B
    '05 SV650 - Sold
    Austin dropout

Sorry you're having trouble... I had a similar issue with my rear brake on my Monster. It turned out just entirely too much air in the line. It meant bleeding the lines... run it, bleed again... run it, bleed again. I'd be willing to help if you'd like - have garage space and tools. Just need a heads up.

There could be more wrong, it sometimes just takes another pair of eyes to look at it.
    ~~Moira

Georgetown Honda charges only $25.00 to power flush the entire (rear) system.
    Had it done last friday myself. (needed after I "worked on it")
    Ratbike (or PL) has a power flush tool also.
    Cheapscapes suck.
    Red cbr

Quote Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
    Sorry you're having trouble... I had a similar issue with my rear brake on my Monster. It turned out just entirely too much air in the line. It meant bleeding the lines... run it, bleed again... run it, bleed again. I'd be willing to help if you'd like - have garage space and tools. Just need a heads up.

There could be more wrong, it sometimes just takes another pair of eyes to look at it.
    Thanks for your offer, Moira! I guess I'll try bleeding it again...and maybe again... Ugh. Hopefully that does it. Otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR Dave View Post
    Cheapscapes suck.
    ...this may be my solution.

Of course, with my current trend of zero free time to wrench around, Georgetown Honda may be getting a call anyway!
    Don B
    '05 SV650 - Sold
    Austin dropout

Quote Originally Posted by CBR Dave View Post
    Cheapscapes suck.
    You mean a vacuum bleeder? Yeah, has one...

Hell, if you're up for it - I'd bring it in to G'town too...
    ~~Moira

Depending on where the bleed valve is, you might want to remove the rear caliper from its mounts (but don't disconnect the brake line/hose). Then hang/suspend/ziptie the caliper in a way that puts the bleed valve at a higher point than any other part of the system. Ziptie to the subframe works frequently. Hang a weight on the brake pedal overnight so that it keeps mild pressure on the system. Any air in the system will eventually work its way to the highest point in the system which is now your bleed valve if you've hung it with that part up. Then you give it a really good bleeding. Reattach to the caliper mount and give it a go. If it's firm again, you are good. But if pedal softness returns after that, you likely have something faulty somewhere in the lines or somewhere in the master cylinder that is introducing air into the system.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Depending on where the bleed valve is, you might want to remove the rear caliper from its mounts (but don't disconnect the brake line/hose). Then hang/suspend/ziptie the caliper in a way that puts the bleed valve at a higher point..... you likely have something faulty somewhere in the lines or somewhere in the master cylinder that is introducing air into the system.
    Doesn't that work only on Ducati's?

Have you seen the Hypermotard 796? Wow.
    I'm not saying I like Ducs, but Wow. OK. Double Wow.
    I could see old Dave zipping around on that. I like the Black/white one.
    Red cbr

Hang a weight on the brake pedal overnight so that it keeps mild pressure on the system. Any air in the system will eventually work its way to the highest point in the system which is now your bleed valve if you've hung it with that part up. Then you give it a really good bleeding.
    +1 I had a similar problem when I switched to SS lines on the ZZR. It took me 5 sets of bleeding and riding to get all the bubbles out of the blocks.
    Truman BA Campbell
    a.k.a. "Internet Tuff Guy"
    2KX RGV Chapter Sectary

03 ZZR 1200
    MonCallimari MC101B "Home One" Star Cruzer
    BIG BLUE BEAST

99 ish' GSXR 750
    "Modified" Corielian YT1300F
    "You know, that ship's saved my life quite a few times. She's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy!"~Lando~

Don, I still have Josh's vacuum bleeder. I'd be happy to help pull the air out of the lines. Give me a call or shoot me a PM.
    You know where I live.

Oh, and you're right. You do suck as Secretary.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

I've found that rear brakes aren't much of a challenge to bleed. Hard pedal or soft pedal? Hard pedal, your caliper pistons could be stuck. Soft pedal, master cylinder could be the issue.
    Bobby Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by bdumas View Post
    I've found that rear brakes aren't much of a challenge to bleed. Hard pedal or soft pedal? Hard pedal, your caliper pistons could be stuck. Soft pedal, master cylinder could be the issue.
    Don, he means brake pedal...not bicycyle pedal.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

Soft pedal on the moto. I pedal hard on the bicycle.

Planning to give it some work tonight. Probably try Nathan's recommendation of hanging the caliper overnight.
    Don B
    '05 SV650 - Sold
    Austin dropout

Got a whole bunch of bubbles out of there last night. Left it elevated above the MC overnight after bleeding with the valve open and weight on the brake pedal. Should be rock solid when I get home this evening. I'll slip the hose on the valve, give it a final few pumps and hopefully it'll be all sorted out.
    Don B
    '05 SV650 - Sold
    Austin dropout

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
    Should be rock solid when I get home this evening. I'll slip the hose on the valve, give it a final few pumps and hopefully it'll be all sorted out.
    That's what she said
    Daryl T - Austin Treasurer

XR1200 | KLR650 | XR400 | XR100 - stolen | DR-Z70s - stolen

Questions about the TSBA? Come to a meeting or email me!

Yeah - all set! Just needed a good bleeding. Thanks, everyone!
    Don B
    '05 SV650 - Sold
    Austin dropout