Thread: Issues: EBC Kevlar Clutch Kit

Default Issues: EBC Kevlar Clutch Kit

Got a 2003 CR350 with a new EBC Kevlar Kit in it.
    I did have the EBC HD Springs but changed to the Stock springs hoping it would help but it didn't.

Joe told me it is the clutch but wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
    When I ride the bike hard the Clutch lever becomes very hard to pull in and I have to adjust it, then adjust it back when it cools off. It becomes so hard to pull in I can barley get it disengaged.

Now I use to have a RM125 and I know a put a EBC clutch in it but I dunno if it was a Kevlar or not. I never had this issue. I feel pretty good that I did everything correctly when installing. I have done them before with no issues and I had Joe walk me through it on questions.

Needless to say if I ride it easy I never have an issue but start to nail it through the trees and it is not fun to ride.
    "If you have to sign a wavier, it is probably worth doing."

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

Is it a heat thing or an rpm thing? Can you replicate the problem in neutral?
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Dunno about replicating it in neutral. I will try that? I guess just rev the bike in neutral until the clutch gets tight?

I think it is heat/rpm. I do not think it has to do with clutching as when I just start to ride fast it get tight. I might call EBC with the issue.

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

don't know if I'm using the correct bike term, but sounds like a throw out bearing.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

I will pull it apart and see. Maybe give EBC a call also.

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

I don't see a 23? I sent in an email to EBC seeing if they will have an explanation. When I pull it apart I will check these parts. I have the Honda manual so it shows all of this and how to install it. I will make sure that is correct.

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
    I don't see a 23? .
    Use the scroll bars. Up and right in the breakdown pic. My money is on 22 though. (just a guess....I'm no clutch guru. Just a Google guru. )
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Just got this reply back from EBC:

Brandon,

Thank you for your e-mail to EBC USA and I am sorry you are having a problem with one of our EBC DRC complete clutch kit's.

I think what is going on here is the Total Stack Height's on either the fiber outer plates, or the inner steel plates ( or both ) are at the minimum tolerance's. So the kit works find when not hot, nut need's a bunch of lever adjustment when it gets hot.

I am happy you have tried the Honda OEM Clutch Springs as they DO hold up better / longer than the EBC Springs on the Honda CR MX bikes. And that tell's me you do not have a Spring Issue !

I show the correct EBC Dirt Racer Kit # for your 2003 Honda CR250 is EBC part # DRC79

So EBC needs' to send you a new EBC DRC79 Clutch Kit, at No Charge under our Warranty Program. And if you are OK with this, EBC would like to upgrade you to our new for 2011 Dirt Racer Carbon Fiber Clutch Kit ?!? We call them the DRCF's.

Please e-mail me your UPS Shipping Address and we will get a new EBC Clutch on the way to you at No Charge !

Garry Gallagher
    EBC Brakes USA Tech & Racing
    20314 131 CT NE
    Woodinville, WA. 98072
    Phone (425) 485-7610
    www.ebcbrakes.com <http://www.ebcbrakes.com>

Looks like they think the tolerances are off on the plates. :dunno: I told them everything I has tried to fix the issue. And with that said they are going to replace it. I am very very very impressed with how they handled this.
    Last edited by wrx_02; December 7th, 2010 at 02:29 PM.

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
    And with that said they are going to replace it. I am very very very impressed with how they handled this.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Also here are the tolerances for the the

The EBC DRCF79 and DRC79 EBC Clutch Kit has 8 fiber's x 3.0mm thick and for a Total Stack Height of 24.mm.

A well as 7 steel's - 5 x 1.5mm and 2 x 1.6mm for a Total Stack Height of 10.7mm

I currently have the DRC79 EBC Clutch kit.

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap