Thread: Emma Long City Park - Austin

Default Emma Long City Park - Austin

I went up to Austin to ride at Emma Long City Park with a zrx buddy today. Started out around 9 and took a little warm-up lap. We started out on the main loop which is about 6 miles. I hadn't been up there before but had heard it was pretty rocky and tight. That proved to be an understatement. It made Hidden Falls seem like a relaxing cruise. It was very tight and very rocky. The trail was barely wide enough in some spots and all of the riding is snaking through the cedars. Not knowing the trail didn't help either. I didn't know what was coming around the turns and found myself without enough momentum to make it up the numerous ledges. That resulted in stalling the bike several times and falling down even more.

We took a break at the halfway point and then less than a mile later, I found out that when a radiator goes up against a tree, the tree wins. I ended up bending the bottom of the left radiator back and splitting the top seam (which was spewing out like an oil rig). My friend towed me back to the car and that was the end of my off-road excursion for the day. I didn't even finish the main loop much less some of the other side trails at the park.

That was the toughest trail riding I've done so far. I gotta work on my bike control and lines a lot more before tackling it again. Also, for the first time, the WR was over-geared. It was so tight, I had a hard time keeping my speed up. I've got a new counter sprocket coming which should help out in that area.

On the way home, my arms were as tired after 4 miles as they were coming back from Hidden Falls after 30. At Hidden Falls, I rode mostly the atv trails which made a difference. Still, City Park if pretty tiring. It was difficult enough for me and my off-road skill set that I really didn't have much fun.

Maybe with a year or so more experience under my belt....
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    I went up to Austin to ride at Emma Long City Park with a zrx buddy today. Started out around 9 and took a little warm-up lap. We started out on the main loop which is about 6 miles. I hadn't been up there before but had heard it was pretty rocky and tight. That proved to be an understatement. It made Hidden Falls seem like a relaxing cruise. It was very tight and very rocky. The trail was barely wide enough in some spots and all of the riding is snaking through the cedars. Not knowing the trail didn't help either. I didn't know what was coming around the turns and found myself without enough momentum to make it up the numerous ledges. That resulted in stalling the bike several times and falling down even more.

We took a break at the halfway point and then less than a mile later, I found out that when a radiator goes up against a tree, the tree wins. I ended up bending the bottom of the left radiator back and splitting the top seam (which was spewing out like an oil rig). My friend towed me back to the car and that was the end of my off-road excursion for the day. I didn't even finish the main loop much less some of the other side trails at the park.

That was the toughest trail riding I've done so far. I gotta work on my bike control and lines a lot more before tackling it again. Also, for the first time, the WR was over-geared. It was so tight, I had a hard time keeping my speed up. I've got a new counter sprocket coming which should help out in that area.

On the way home, my arms were as tired after 4 miles as they were coming back from Hidden Falls after 30. At Hidden Falls, I rode mostly the atv trails which made a difference. Still, City Park if pretty tiring. It was difficult enough for me and my off-road skill set that I really didn't have much fun.

Maybe with a year or so more experience under my belt....

geezer scrubbing
    2000 ZRX1100
    1992 RM 250

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Slover View Post
    geezer scrubbing
    Yup, no doubt about it.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Hahahaa - I got halfway thru your thread before I realized you were talking about a motorcycle vs MOUNTAIN BIKE. I have only ever ridden it on a mountain bike. LOL.

Glad you had fun!
    John Redford(JRED)

2006 FZ1
    2005 1200RT
    2007 CRF 450X
    2006 CRF 250X

"Tuff times come and go...Tuff people stick around"

I used to mountain bike out there in the early-mid 90's when I lived in Austin. When did they start letting dirt bikes ride out there?
    Gregg Crow
    For information about the Panhandle TSBA contact me at pak714 at isp dot com or check out http://panhandlesportbike.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
    When did they start letting dirt bikes ride out there?
    Not sure but my buddy's been riding there since '04 or so.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
    I used to mountain bikes out there in the early-mid 90's when I lived in Austin. When did they start letting dirt bikes ride out there?
    A long time...there were dirt bikes passing me back in the mid '90's when I rode out there.
    Last edited by Jred; December 26th, 2010 at 09:52 AM.
    John Redford(JRED)

2006 FZ1
    2005 1200RT
    2007 CRF 450X
    2006 CRF 250X

"Tuff times come and go...Tuff people stick around"

My buddys house backs up to the park. He had not really ridden that much and bought a track ready yzf426. Now, his new bike + Emma Long = hurt and fearful for life. He got a TTR230 and all is well. ALthough he does not ride in Emma Long; only takes the dogs!! Those trails are not even funny. City Park Rd on the way up is nice on 2wheels too....
    Craig

2003 ZZR1200
    2001 KLR650

Default trail

Quote Originally Posted by Jred View Post
    Hahahaa - I got halfway thru your thread before I realized you were talking about a motorcycle vs MOUNTAIN BIKE. I have only ever ridden it on a mountain bike. LOL.

Glad you had fun!
    me too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life Is Too Short To Drink Cheap Beer!!
    Bob T

2006 Honda CBR 600RR

Quote Originally Posted by soccert View Post
    me too
    I want to see video of you out there on that recumbent
    2000 ZRX1100
    1992 RM 250

why are all you guys coming to Austin and not calling me (and buying me lunch)?

Maybe its time for me to return to my roots and buy a dirt bike.

Shhh! Don't tell Dave!
    Last edited by Mr. PL; January 24th, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BluRR View Post
    I went up early, crashed, and headed home by 10:30. Wasn't my longest ride for sure.

Luke, come over to the dirt side. (I won't tell Dave if you won't)

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by BluRR View Post

Maybe its time for me to return to my roots and buy a dirt bike.

Shhh! Don't tell Dave!
    I am in Austin 2 or 3 times a week, was there today up in Round Rock
    2000 ZRX1100
    1992 RM 250