Thread: SHNF Weekend Ride 3-24~27

Default SHNF Weekend Ride 3-24~27

Buddy & I are planning a weekend ride at the Sam Houston Natl. Forest Thursday, March 24 through Sunday, March 27. A couple of ZRX buddies are also going. If anyone else wants to go, post up.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Thanks for the heads up Carl. I may be in for one of those days and let me know if you need a place to crash, but be forewarned that I am as about as far from SHNF as you can be and still be in the greater Houston area... I live in Sugar Land which is SW of the city while the forest is far North, about 1.5 hour drive.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F
    I'm on a bus on a psychodelic trip reading murder books and tryin' to stay hip.

Sweet Charles. I think the plan right now is to camp out. Hope you can make a day or two.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Three days and a wake up.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Argh! My WR is having some needed post Big Bend work done on it and will not be ready in time for this ride.

Well, this just gives me an excuse to make a trip up to Hidden Falls when I get a chance!
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

Quote Originally Posted by CalamariKid View Post
    Argh! My WR is having some needed post Big Bend work done on it and will not be ready in time for this ride.

Well, this just gives me an excuse to make a trip up to Hidden Falls when I get a chance!
    Too bad Charles, there'll be next time though.

Last Thursday, Buddy, Scott, & I went to Walnut Creek just outside of Bastrop. We had the place to ourselves and had a blast.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

I have not heard of that one, I'll have to check it out. That is a lot closer than Marble Falls and knowing Bastrop there is probably some great elevation changes.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

I have not heard of that one, I'll have to check it out. That is a lot closer than Marble Falls and knowing Bastrop there is probably some great elevation changes.
    It's west of Bastrop on FM 20 just east of FM 535. The owner hosts horse groups primarily but the Austin dirt riders have been going out there for years. It's a lot like Zars but not near as tight. No rock and there are a couple of deep sand pits. The ravines going through the property are pretty steep. The owner said to call him if we wanted to ride and if no group has it reserved, we can go for $20 a head.

Here's his web page: http://www.rustyswalnutcreekranch.net/

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Definetly keep me in mind when you head out there!
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

Buddy and got out here yesterday afternoon. We bought our passes and went and set up camp. Then it was off to the trails. We ended up staying in Stubblefield Campground because they have running water and hot showers. That meant we had to drive to the trailheads though. We drove over to Kelly's Pond to ride.

As we pulled up, a guy and his grandson were unloading and getting ready to ride as well. He was a local and offered to lead us around. We took off around the loop. There is a lot of sand and it can get pretty whoopy. There's really no elevation change and the roots weren't that bad. No rock at all. I brought up the rear as the other three were a lot quicker than I. Made riding in the dust a little better anyway. we rode around to FM 1375 and turned around.

Coming back, Buddy was waiting for me and we missed the turn the other two took. That made us come back all the way around like we came. As I got ready to cross one of the bridges, the bike started stuttering. Did I meantion that we hadn't gassed up our cans yet? That also meant I hadn't topped off my tank too since the last time I road. I had figured how long we were going but didn't take into account taking a wrong turn. Since the WR has a .1 gal reserve, I knew I would be screwed eventually. Crossed one road after another until we were getting closer. Figuring the odds of coming across one of the two rangers on Thursday evening were low, we took to public roads. We made it back (barely for me) and the other two were loaded up and taking a break.

It was dark:thirty by then so we headed into town to grab dinner, some food supplies, and yes, fuel.

Another buddy from Austin is on his way up this morning and it's off to the trails again. Yesterday was 30 miles with about 4-5 on roads.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Sounds like fun! When do you guys head back? Might divert from the SMR Sunday if you are going to still be around and drop by to say Hi.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

Sounds like fun! When do you guys head back? Might divert from the SMR Sunday if you are going to still be around and drop by to say Hi.
    Our plan is to ride again Sunday morning and head home that afternoon. We're staying in campsite #27.

We rode 27 miles this morning on the north trail and 13 this afternoon going down towards Kelly's Pond. I think I did about a million whoops today. There were also a lot of log crossings this afternoon. Sand can sure where an old guy out. My legs are toast right now and I'm pretty pooped but I had a lot of fun.

Tomorrow we're going over to ride on the east side.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Today we rode the north eastern loop in the morning and the south eastern loop in the afternoon. We rode 21 & 19 miles respectively. The north eastern loop was a lot of fun. In fact, it was my favorite overall. Not as much deep sand and more elevation changes. The south eastern loop was my least favorite. There was a lot of deep sand and also lots of roots mixed in most of the turns. Lots of whoops here too and a lot of them in deep sand as well. Basically it was much more work than fun. I never got to the point of not wanting to ride anymore, but close. It ended in long stretches of the deepest sand yet. In all fairness, I am getting worn out but it was the opinion from the other two riding too.

Overall Buddy & I have ridden 125 miles of singletrack since Thursday. Tomorrow we wrap it up with a morning ride back at the north eastern side. It's been a great trip so far but I'm getting a little sort and some blisters are popping up on my palms.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Thanks for the report! I am going to try and swing that way before you head out and say hello, but chances are slim that we will be able to hook up. It gives me an excuse to go ride the forest.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

We ended our weekend adventure with another ride on the north east side. Four guys from TWT came up and joined us. Buddy and Chris still took off and two of the new riders were about my skill level. We swapped positions at break/regroup points and even though it was my last day of a long weekend of riding, I did my best overall. Best except for a tree that I decided needed a little closer examination. My roost protector shoulder guards dispersed the impact so it was all good. Our plan was to go up and around counter-clockwise and then loop around back the way we came. We (Chris our navigator) took a wrong turn and we ended up going down and up through the deep sand portion on the south side again. By that time, the riding had caught up with me and I was back in "cruising" mode.

Overall Buddy and I rode 145 miles of singletrack. He dropped me off a little before 5 and a hot shower and the couch felt pretty darn good. My own bed that night even felt better. Great extended weekend trip.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Awesome! Any pics?
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

Awesome! Any pics?
    Buddy is going to upload a few videos on YouTube. I'll link them when he does.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    Buddy is going to upload a few videos on YouTube. I'll link them when he does.
    Here you go

Video 1

Video 2

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Here's another one

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

When you see white trails, it means there's deep sand. Also, the whoops on the video are nothing like actually riding through/over them. They look like no big deal on the video but they totally "whooped" me out.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

You were moving through there pretty fast! Those whoops kick my *** as well.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F

You were moving through there pretty fast! Those whoops kick my *** as well.
    That was Buddy filming. I was "sweeping for safety" way back.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter