Thread: HF Rocky Ride - Saturday April 30

Default HF Rocky Ride - Saturday April 30

I know it's a little ways off, but we're scheduling a day in the dirt (and rocks) on Saturday, April 30 at Hidden Falls Adventure Park just outside of Marble Falls.

Buddy, Ivan, Scott and I are tentatively in. We're trying to drag David S along too and probably a couple of other local guys we met riding around the area.

They're adding new trails at HF as well as putting bypasses on some of the tougher sections of the south loop making it more newbie friendly. It's lot's of fun so post up if you think you can make it.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Only if this were in dfw....
    Matt
    Some where between Denton and Mckinney.

06 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (67,000 miles+, sold)

Quote Originally Posted by slowgsxr View Post
    Only if this were in dfw....
    Come on down Matt. A couple of us will probably go up Friday morning and camp out that night. That'll give us two days of riding.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

I'd go, but planning on doing the Spring IBI in Arkansas that weekend. Speaking of Arkansas, there is a dirt ride there in May in the Ozark Nat'l Forest that looks inviting. Details are on the Dual Sport Riders forum - I think it is called SLAP.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F
    I'm on a bus on a psychodelic trip reading murder books and tryin' to stay hip.

Yeah, unfortunately there's no way I can make the Spring IBI this year. Hopefully next year will work out for me.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

A week and a half and we'll be tearing it up.

I plan on going up Friday morning and camping overnight.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Four mo' days and we're riding.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

OK, but you're gonna miss the BBQ!
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

I got out there Friday at 1 and Charles was unloaded and setting up camp. I unloaded and we set out on our first ride. We rode the atv trails around and ended up at the north pole hill climb. Charles was on a mission to redeem himself from Labor Day. We made it up (eventually) going up some rock ledges near the top. We explored around more and headed back to base camp. Another guy who was coming up for the weekend made it and after he set up his taj mahal, we wend out on another ride. We took a warm up loop on an atv trail and then we went on the south loop. I lead us down the section marked danger instead of the bypass, and after we made it back to the main road, Charles and Alfredo wanted to go back on the atv trails. It was pretty challenging to say the least. We rode around for another couple of hours taking Alfredo back to the north pole. This time, our attempts weren't quite as successful.

Back to camp as the sun was starting to set, we chilled out and took turns hitting the shower. Dang, that hot shower felt great. Then we went into Marble Falls and had a killer dinner at this pretty cool restaurant. It was still breezy so we sat out on the porch overlooking the lake. Great end to a great day of riding.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Saturday morning, Ivan and David showed up about the same time Buddy did. A few more guys from TWT showed up we rolled around 9:30. We all went on the South loop (taking the first bypass except for Buddy) and we worked our way around the trail. The South loop is 15 miles of single track and most of it easy to moderate. There are a few spots that are challenging and we all worked through it. One of the guys from TWT is a former TORC champ so he helped us out here and there. I had been on parts of it before, maybe half) so I really wanted to ride the whole thing. It was fun and we made it back in time for lunch.

After lunch, Charles, Ivan, David, Alfredo, and I went on atv trails while Buddy and the rest took the North loop. It's supposed to be more technical. Our ride took us around and back over to the north pole. There's a set of step-downs I wanted to go back on again. We didn't quite make it that far as we were starting to get tired. We rode the atv trials around and back to camp to rest and hydrate more.

Buddy made it back with the other group and after resting a bit, he, Alfredo, and myself took off again. We rode around for a bit more and got back around 5. Charles was just pulling out to go home and I loaded up. The only one staying was Alfredo.

I rode a total of 95 miles for the weekend. 50 on Friday and the other 45 on Saturday. Friday afternoon while tackling the north pole the second time, I got a major charlie horse in my right calf trying to keep the bike upright. I had a hard time walking until the next morning. It tightened up again last night and was a little better today. Shoulders are a little sore but overall, I'm doing good and had a great time.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Had a great time Carl! I really want to bring my kids up there. Summer is just around the corner so I'm going to start trying to find a timeframe that works.
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F
    I'm on a bus on a psychodelic trip reading murder books and tryin' to stay hip.

Here's a video Buddy shot from Saturday. The steps they're going down early on are actually about 3 feet each. They look sedate on the video.

Hidden Falls video 1

Here's Buddy & I on the last ride of the day.

Hidden Falls video 2

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Here's another video Buddy shot.

Video 3

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter