Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Keep My Family in Your Thoughts

Thanks everyone. It was a long week last week after several long weeks leading up to that. For those of you that don't know, my dad was the principal of Strake Jesuit, a college prep school in Houston and had been there since 1967. That school was our second home while I was growing up and the services were held there. It was truly beautiful. The outpouring of support and sharing of my familes grief was truly, truly humbling. My son, Alex, just finished his freshman year there and I was really happy that my dad got to be part of that milestone.

My mom was incredible through all of it, they were truly the closest, most loving couple I have ever known. During the visitation on Thursday she stood and greeted a non-stop line of visitors from 10 AM until the Rosary at 7:00, greeted each of the hundreds of people by name with a smile on her face, sharing memories and stories. The students lined the path from the chappel to the auditorium where the Rosary was held. I had kept it in all day, but when we moved the casket out of the chappel and saw that I lost it.

Thrusday night after the Rosary we moved my dad back to the chapel and members of the faculty and priests from Jesuit kept a vigil all night until we moved him back to the auditorium for the funeral. The funeral mass was very touching. The president of Strake who was a good, good friend of my father gave the homily and Arch Bishop Firoenza gave a euology. At my mom's request I did so as well, both Thru and Fri nights. I did not think I was going to be able to do it, especially on Fri with 900 people in the auditorium and a few hundred watching on TV's in an overflow area, but made it through and was glad I did it.

The weekend was spent visiting with family that had come in for the funeral and this week I've been helping my mom get all the financial stuff worked out - this is a woman who refuses to use those new fangled ATM card thingees.

I've found myself gravitating to the places my dad loved to eat, like Rajun' Cajun, Pico's on Bellaire. Lots of good memories.

Anyway, I appreciate all the words and thoughts of support. I don't have any regrets with regard to my dad, he knew how I felt about him and vice versa. I will miss him and am tearing up a little now, but he lived a fulll, purposful, and most defineltly joyful life and left and left an incredible legacy through his teaching and contibutions to Strake. He lived the good life. What more could anyone want?
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F
    I'm on a bus on a psychodelic trip reading murder books and tryin' to stay hip.

Good thoughts and words to express them.
    Kent Cook
    Lone Star Track Days
    BMW R1200RS
    Honda CBR1000RR

So sorry to hear Charles. Having lost Cindy"s dad last Friday, I know how you feel.
    Chris Donnelly
    '96 GPZ1100, '93 750 Nighthawk
    '98 Ford Explorer
    Ada, OK

So sorry to hear Charles. Having lost Cindy's dad last Friday, I know how you feel.
    Chris Donnelly
    '96 GPZ1100, '93 750 Nighthawk
    '98 Ford Explorer
    Ada, OK