Thread: Colorado 2011

Default Colorado 2011

Scott & I started our Colorado Adventure by leaving at 5:30 Monday morning. We wanted to be in Santa Fe NM by 5 so we could ride in the desert hills northwest of town. He has a buddy there (Ron) who offered us a place to stay overnight on our way up. Ron took us on a little 30 mile ride through the hills and some dry river bed. It was really a lot of fun. We went by Daiblo Canyon where they film lots of western movies including 3:10 To Yuma. Kinda different riding along with cactus on the sides.

Ron's wife Karen fixed chicken enchiladas and had some killer hot green chilli sauce. Not a bad day at all. We rested overnight and got en early start Tues morning.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

We got to Lake City around 2 Tuesday afternoon. We chilled out a little talking to my sister & brother in law and then went on a mountain warmup ride. I took Scott on Jara Mesa (also called Hill 71). I'd ridden it a few times last year. It was pretty muddy but not too bad. It took us across the Contintal Divide. At one point we rounded a bend and came across a herd of sheep guided by a dog. We slowed down as we passed and they were really calm.

The end of the trail came back to the main highway. My sister made us reservations at this killer Italian place in town and we didn't have enough time to ride the trail back so we took the highway. I saw a side trail so we took it for a little and then it was back to the highway. It started raining and we got drenched. Riding in the rain on street tires is one thing but on full knobbies is another. We got back to the rv and cleaned up before dinner.

This ride was 33 miles with about 8 on the highway.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Yesterday Scott & I went on a marathon ride. We rode out Cinnamon Pass to Amimas Forks. That was an easy ride but scenic. Here are a couple of shots of Scott & I going up.

From there it was over to Silverton. We gassed up and went up Ophor Pass up to Telluride. Ophir Pass was a lot more fun. I shot some video I'll post up later.

We ate lunch in Telluride and took Imagene Pass down to Ouray. Imagene Pass was rated difficult and a lot more challenging and quite long. We passed through quite a bit of snow, especially for a couple of Texans in July. I shot more video which came out pretty cool.

After gassing up in Ouray, we took off down Poughkeepsie Gulch which was rated difficult as well. Things were going well until we hit a couple of long uphill stretches that had fairly large slate rock for a road base. A little later up the hill the road picked up a lot of large basketball sized rocks that made keeping on line difficult. Impossible for us actually. While we were close to the top, we couldn't make it and turned around. We ended up taking Mineral Creek Trail over to Engineer Pass. Mineral Creek was rated moderate but it was still a lot of fun.

Engineer Pass is also an easy road but quite scenic. We were starting to get tired so a little easier road was a welcomed relief. The road had a lot of elevation change and lots of switchbacks, but was fun. It also took us above the tree line once again. Here's a couple of shots of Scott & I up on top.

A long day in the saddle but an excellent adventure. We traveled 141 miles with well over 100 of it on trails.
    Last edited by CarlT; June 12th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Here's some video from Imogene Pass. There's no sound and I used Avid for the first time so it's not polished. Some good shots though.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Carl, seriously? I am so jealous right now! I need to go back to CO before my time on this Earth is done, and what better way than that. I want to go next year. Hook a brother up!
    Pat Carey
    2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Makes me want a jeep.
    Last edited by wonderdawg; July 22nd, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
    -mike benson

"Your life will change when you change the way you look at life."

I've been through Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride quite a bit. Ouray is especially spectacular and you can pick up Engineer pass just south of town. I'm going to be heading up to Durango next month but will be playing on a mountain bike. Great area to take a vacation!
    Pete

Looks like a cool thrip so far Carl

On Friday, we set off on a trip that kinda turned into a saga, at least for me. We started out riding up Wager Gulch to the ghost town of Carson. Wager Gulch has a pretty good climb to the top. The ride wasn't bad but it was up and up for most of the trail.

Here's Scott at Carson

Here's Scott with the direction we're heading in

From there we headed to Lost Creek Trail. It was one of the few ATV only trails we road in the Lake City area. Here's a shot of me over the Continental Divide.

Now we're heading down Lost Creek Trail

Here's a shot of me further down the trail

Down the trail, we came upon a stream that was a lot deeper than last year. Going over, I hit a rock I couldn't see and fell over. That resulted in one swamped WR. When I say swamped, I mean it no longer ran. Scott helped me push it out of the stream and then I started taking things apart.

Scott decided to take a different approach to going across.

Good thing we packed tools to do most of the basic things you wouldn't normally think you needed to do on the trail. I had to pull the tank and spark plug. Pulling the airbox side cover off, water poured out. The air filter was drenched and Scott wrung it out. After kicking out a lot of water out the top of the head, I put in a fresh plug and got it to start firing. It blew water out the exhaust pipe and eventually started running.

Here I am headed down near the end of the trail and onto a main dirt road.

From there, we headed over across Stoney Pass. It was here that there was a creek crossing we were worried about. It turned out it wasn't so bad.

Stoney Pass got it's name justly. Going up, it got quite rocky. While my bike was running after the swamping, it had leaned out from basically a bare foam air filter. It was rough around 1/4 throttle which unfortunately was where I needed to be most of the time. On the main jet though, it ran great.

Here's a shot up on Stoney Pass

From there, we rode down and into Silverton for gas. As I pulled into the gas station, I noticed I had a flat front tire. Dang it! Not good but I guess better than out in the middle of nowhere. We ate lunch over on the side and it was time to break out the tools again.

After getting everything back together, we headed off towards Hurricane Pass and Gray Copper Gulch. Here's a shot of Scott on top of the pass.

And one of me.

Another of me checking where we're going. While it looks cold, it actually felt pretty good.

Gray Copper Gulch went up and near the main highway 550 so we turned around and headed back. It was all pretty scenic and good riding. Then we headed towards California Gulch and came upon Lake Como. Gorgeous for sure.

Here's a shot of California Gulch that we're heading into. Not bad scenery huh?

Here's an old mine building we came upon. There were lots of these in the area.

No telling what this old building has seen it it's lifetime.

We were starting to get tired so we skipped a few trails we had planned on riding and started heading back to camp. After Animas Forks, we decided to go back Cinnamon Pass instead of Engineer Pass to save us a lot of time. I goofed up by looking up the mountain at a bunch of ATV's we were going to have to pass and ended up doing this.

Not a good thing but fortunate for me I was going slow. Scott helped me pull the bike back onto the road and we were off once more. We got back to camp and we had ridden 7 of the 12 trails we planned on. Not bad considering the setbacks we encountered. Mileage for the day was just over 100.
    Last edited by CarlT; June 12th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

On Thursday, we took most of the day off and went into Creede with my sister and brother-in-law for some sight seeing. We came back and decided we needed a little ride so we headed up Cuba Gulch. It was a nice short ride that ran up through the aspens.

Here's a video of the trail.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

That's all the stuff from the Lake City area. I'll work on the Taylor Park area this afternoon. I have more video than pics of that part.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Bass Tards. Both of you. Bass Tards.

I'm jealous as hell!
    =================
    10 R1200GS
    07 WR450F
    I'm on a bus on a psychodelic trip reading murder books and tryin' to stay hip.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamariKid View Post
    I'm jealous as hell!
    enjoying the pictorial. keep em coming.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Ridiculous cool.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

Looking good Carl

Saturday was a move day for us. We packed up in Lake City and moved up to Taylor Park Reservoir area. I stopped in Gunnison and picked up an oil filter to change the oil in the WR after I swamped it. We got up there and I changed it out as well as put in my spare air filter I took up. Since the bike was running better on the main jet after I washed off all the oil on the air filter, I dropped the main jet down from a 160 to a 158. It was still running rough at 1/4 throttle so I called for help. After explaining what I was experiencing, dropping the needle one more notch was recommended. That did the trick and my bike was running great again. Thanks Sam!

Scott's bike, on the other hand, was a different story. I did the same to his bike as I did mine and it started running rough. It also started dieing after going a few miles and it would take several minutes before it would even fire again. After going back and forth with the jetting, we took off on a little ride to see how it would do. We messed with it all day Sunday as well and never could get it to run right. Returning the jetting to where it was didn't fix either problem. As long as he rode real slow, it was ok. Unfortunately, running up the hills required lots of throttle. We pulled the float bowl and checked the floats & needle jet. Them seemed to be working correctly.

After a fresh night's sleep, on Monday, we started tracing though everything from the tank petcocks (he has one on each side) to the carb itself. That's when we discovered Scott had a collapsed tube on the fuel "Y" that went to the carb itself. It wasn't getting enough fuel flow to keep up with the demand. With that fixed, we adjusted the fuel screw to get the bike running as smoothly as we could. It wasn't perfect, but much better than it had been.

We left camp around 11 and took off. We ran up Union Park Trail and then took Slaughterhouse Gulch. Here's a video of that trail.

Then it was up Cumberland Pass to the town of Pitkin for lunch and a gas stop. Here's me kicking back on the front porch of a cool little town.

Then we took the Alpine Tunnel trail to see the tunnel they blasted through the mountain only to find out we had to walk a ways. Walking in motorcross boots didn't sound like fun so we headed back and over to Hancock Pass trail. It had started to rain but we were glad to find out the rocks and mud weren't too slippery. Here's some video going up Hancock Pass.

Part 1

Part 2

Then we went over to Hancock Lake. Here's some video of that trail.

After getting up to it, we found out we had to walk to even see the lake so we turned around again and headed back down.

Then we rode to the town of St Elmo and took Tincup Pass over towards the town of Tincup. After passing Mirror Lake, we looked for a singletrack called Timberline Trail that ran north towards Cottonwood Pass. We finally found it and it was actually an ATV trail. It looked like a good ride to the end of our day so off we went.

As we get close to the top, we discover this.

I don't know how close we were to the Cottonwood Pass road but we decided to turn around and go back the way we came.

We got back to the road and went through the town of Tincup and back to camp. Mileage was just over 100 miles for the day. It had dried out but the temp was 58 around 5 pm.
    Last edited by CarlT; June 12th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Tuesday we awoke to our last day of riding as well as dark skies. We took off with rain surrounding us. Our plan was to work trails over to Crested Butte. To get there, we would end up on a singletrack trail we knew nothing about. We started off with Texas Lakes Trail which was a good warmup ride. Then we went up Pieplant Mill Trail and then up Tellurium Creek Trail. Here is some video of the ride up. It started off fairly easy and then we found ourselves going up a rock road with the creek running through it.

Here's part 2

We got up to the top and found it made a small loop, the upper side was snowed in so we stopped and grabbed lunch.

Then we went out to the end of Taylor Road. Our plan was to ride a singletrack trail over to Mt Tilton and down Cement Creek Rd into Crested Butte. Here's the start of the trail.

There were a lot of roots which were pretty slippery. It reminded me of the Sam Houston Forest in a way, only mud instead of sand and many more roots. We stopped here as we saw a storm come through the mountain pass in the direction we would be headed. Then it started hailing small pea size ice so we decided it would be best if we didn't venture out any further.

Here's our return trip and I got a little over zealous with the throttle crossing the creek.

We headed back towards the reservoir area and I had the bright idea of taking another piece of the Timberline Trail from Texas Lakes up to Cottonwood Pass. It was supposed to be a singletrack but since a section of it below Cottonwood Pass was an ATV trail, I thought it would be a good ride but not too difficult. My thinking would be wrong. Here's a part of the trail. We were in deep forest so the video gets dark throughout it. It was a challenge with tinted goggles for sure.

It turned out to be a skid plate bashing, rock crawling uphill climb that seemed to go on forever. I missed getting some video of some of the long uphill climbs on a 1 foot wide shelf trail. We couldn't go too slow because of balance and didn't want to go too fast because it was a long slope down to wherever bottom of the valley was. It started raining on us too but we weren't about to stop and put on our rain jackets.

We finally made it up and onto Cottonwood Pass and we were both pretty worn out. It was a long ride down a muddy road and onto the main Taylor road. It rained pretty hard all the way back home.

We got back to camp about 5 and it was 53 degrees. All day long we were putting on and taking off our rain jackets. We had covered just under 100 miles again.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

All in all we rode 560 miles over the course of the two weeks. Probably 75~85% of it was on trails that ranged from easy to difficult. It was an excellent time and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The temps were so low that my camelback lasted several days instead of only one. It was also much better this year with a plated bike instead of an off-road only. Having someone to ride with was much better as well. It's easy to have something happen and if you're by yourself, you can be screwed. Thanks for going along Scott, I had a blast riding with you.

Scott and I both agreed that the Scala G4 Powerset units were the best investment we made for the trip. We were able to communicate easily all day long with them and they really helped out working through difficult sections. No more hand signals. We also agreed that the Lake City area had better scenery than Taylor Park (that's why there's less pictures for Taylor Park). One thing about Taylor Park is that there are endless ATV and singletrack trails. Scott liked the Lake City area riding better and I would have liked to had more time for the Taylor Park trails.

Next year I plan on going back again. If you want to go, start making plans.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Alfred Packer site...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    No telling what this old building has seen it it's lifetime.

Chris
    2008 Buell XB12X Ulysses
    2004 KTM 450 MXC
    1996 Bimota SB6
    1988 Honda Hurricane 1000
    1974 Norton Commando 850

Email tsba.ftw@gmail.com to inquire about the Fort Worth Chapter of TSBA.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tsbaftw/Home

Quote Originally Posted by CBar View Post
    Alfred Packer site...
    In that case, it's seen quite a bit. Anyone hungry for ribs?

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Mega-cool Carl (and Scott)! I wish I could do a trip like that. Was there cell phone coverage out there? If so, I'm in next time.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

If you haven't been, there are also some pretty places north of Gunnison around Almont and Crested Butte. You can take Pearl Pass from Crested Butte to Aspen. The trail is only 12 miles, but the CB to Aspen is normally 110 miles by pavement.

I love this area. I dragged my wife up to Big Blue Campground under Blue Mesa Reservoir and she commented that it looked like Switzerland. I also had a family friend get married on Uncompahgre Peak.

Great report. Thanks for posting!
    Chris
    2008 Buell XB12X Ulysses
    2004 KTM 450 MXC
    1996 Bimota SB6
    1988 Honda Hurricane 1000
    1974 Norton Commando 850

Email tsba.ftw@gmail.com to inquire about the Fort Worth Chapter of TSBA.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tsbaftw/Home

Thanks Carl for sort of taking us along with you. Some of those trails looked pretty difficult. Totally cool! When I was young, our family vacation usually included a few nights in Del Norte (bottom of the mountain, I guess) and we spent some time in Creede. That's where I had my 1st "motorcycle/mini bike" experience with a thing they called a "tote goat" back then. Thanks again for takin' me back to some of the best times of my life. Hope I can make a trip with y'all sometime soon. Color me green with envy!
    Pat Carey
    2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by CBar View Post
    If you haven't been, there are also some pretty places north of Gunnison around Almont and Crested Butte. You can take Pearl Pass from Crested Butte to Aspen. The trail is only 12 miles, but the CB to Aspen is normally 110 miles by pavement.
    Pearl Pass was still closed due to snow. They were getting the white stuff falling in May.

Glad you guys are enjoying my report. I really had a blast.

Pat, you're gonna have to get a dual sport to go with us. I think the FJR might be a bit much.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by BluRR View Post
    Was there cell phone coverage out there? If so, I'm in next time.
    Uh, no. Even in town at Lake City, coverage was spotty at best. At Taylor Park, service was better. Don't know how it was on the trails because I kept the phone turned off.

You can do it. Just give Liz a credit card and point her towards Crested Butte, she'll be fine.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter