Thread: Dallas Monthly Chapter Business and Dinner Location

Default Dallas Monthly Chapter Business and Dinner Location

Update:

Since Dallas has is now conducting all business virtually this meeting notice is for chapter business. A separate posting for a Tuesday dinner location invite will be posted ..well.. separately

Note: Please provide any updates to rides planned in the next 30 days in separate threads to manage them more effectively

TSBA Business

TSBA Track Day / Eagles Canyon Raceway November 20 in conjunction with their open track day. Info as follows (please notify Maggie to ensure a spot) and let us know how many to expect
    Sun, Nov 20th

ECR Open Track Day Bikes

Hrs are from 9am until 5pm. Cost is $120 per rider and we will have a mandatory riders meeting at 8:30am in the cafeteria.
    More Info

Organization: Eagles Canyon Raceway
    Link: www.eaglescanyon.com
    e-Mail: mwilliams@eaglescanyon.com
    Phone: 817-992-9774

Ben please advise on funds available for the Dallas TSBA

Action/Decisions:

1. Do we offer a Free Track day for up to two (?) TSBA members for this event?

Decision: How does everyone want to pick the winners

Options:
    A. Random drawing?
    B. First two renewals received for 2012?
    C. Other?

2. Do we want to spend all funds remaining or "all" funds for a year end TSBA Party?

Decision: Location?

A. Restaurant?
    B. Someone's residence (who?)?
    C. Other?

3. Format of club for 2012 (this will require a more formal vote but wanted to tee up the choices I see)

A. Maintain separate Dallas TSBA Chapter as we have done before (requires new and active TSBA officer selection)
    B. Combine Dallas with Fort Worth for a combined DFW chapter?
    C. Other?

Commentary from your current President (Moi)

When I was selected for this post I was the last to dive out of the way and thus I accepted the position. Frankly I was proud to try to represent the interests of sport bike riders in the Dallas area. Each month I posted meeting notices and despite a frantic work schedule, separation from my wife and all that goes with that, and a challenging economy, I have not succeeded in growing the membership.

Many of our senior folks don't ride on the street that much (me included). Our focus on racing and the track is not as conducive to the general representation this club needs as the TSBA is not a racing organization. There are riders that prefer to ride the metroplex, or do off-road, or long adventure rides and the racing/track focus is a niche. The club needs to represent all interests and not just interests that a handful of senior folks gravitate to.

Should we continue as a Dallas TSBA chapter we need new leadership that has a more balanced and general interest that will promote safe sport bike riding, our rights as riders, and ultimately have higher visibility for riding on the street and street based rides.

If no one wishes to chair this role we should consider that the Fort Worth chapter has created a nice cross-section of rider interests and has exceeded our ability to drive attendance and activity. Congratulations Fort Worth. I still believe there are plenty of sport bike riders in the Dallas community. I believe with the right leadership this can be more than just access to a tire changer; rather, a close knit group that enjoys motorcycle riding of all types, enjoys the comradeship of fellow sport bike riders, and will be active in organizing and participating in ride events.

I look forward to serving out the remaining month and a half or so of my tenure and I appreciate all that have participated in the Dallas TSBA.

Regards,
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

New Race Bike (2011 ZX10R ABS)

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

GSXR 750 (Retired Track Bike - for sale)

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

Cool

Comments from a "virtual member"...

You've done a good job the past few years Mark. I thank you. The Dallas chapter has certainly evolved over the last several years from the largest and most active to probably the smallest and least active. Nothing you could have done to change that. The membership base has changed a lot...lots of folks moving on to other things in life.

I will continue to maintain membership, but have no desire to serve as an officer either. I have never attended meetings regularly, or been involved in the track activities. I'm a casual rider (SMR's and a few AR trips per year) by choice.

I had my own tire machine for years, so didn't even use that. I might need that benefit going forward since I sold my machine when I moved.

I do not agree that the DFW & Ft. Worth chapters should merge (re-merge?). They have done very well on their own (this time) and deserve to stand alone for their efforts. DFW is the minority now.

I do strongly agree that we need fewer officers...maybe just a prez and sec/treasurer...whatever the minimum requirement mandates. In my opinion, we have always had too many officer positions (this applies across all of the TSBA chapters).

That's about it for now...except when we do start nominating for next year I'll put in a few early noms here...Darren for prez; and keep little Benny Goody for sec/treasurer.
    Ben H.

Oh, throw me under the bus!
    Darren Baldwin

Default Sounds like an accepted nomination. Do I have a 2nd Aye

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin View Post
    I think I said something like that when the gavel was slammed.

Regards,
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

Quote Originally Posted by bjhughes View Post
    Comments from a "virtual member"...

You've done a good job the past few years Mark. I thank you. The Dallas chapter has certainly evolved over the last several years from the largest and most active to probably the smallest and least active. Nothing you could have done to change that. The membership base has changed a lot...lots of folks moving on to other things in life.

I will continue to maintain membership, but have no desire to serve as an officer either. I have never attended meetings regularly, or been involved in the track activities. I'm a casual rider (SMR's and a few AR trips per year) by choice.

I had my own tire machine for years, so didn't even use that. I might need that benefit going forward since I sold my machine when I moved.

I do not agree that the DFW & Ft. Worth chapters should merge (re-merge?). They have done very well on their own (this time) and deserve to stand alone for their efforts. DFW is the minority now.

I do strongly agree that we need fewer officers...maybe just a prez and sec/treasurer...whatever the minimum requirement mandates. In my opinion, we have always had too many officer positions (this applies across all of the TSBA chapters).

That's about it for now...except when we do start nominating for next year I'll put in a few early noms here...Darren for prez; and keep little Benny Goody for sec/treasurer.
    Thanks Ben.

I have one Neh for merging Dallas and Ft Worth.

I believe our charter would have to change relative to agreeing on less officers but agree those are the primary roles and the ride master should be whoever posts a ride. Key is getting more ride activity. We all own that.

Regards,
    Mark
    Dallas TSBA Vice Pres

2000 Ducati 996 SPS

ZX7R 2003

Triumph Sprint 955i

We are heading down for some burgers!
    Ben G
    Dallas Secy & Tres
    "Giallo Duc"
    Quack Addict
    www.goodingcm.com
    Those are your balls. This is your brain. One will steer you into trouble. The other will steer you out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fairing lurker View Post
    Many of our senior folks don't ride on the street that much...
    Organized street rides are the core of the club. w/o them there is only a social club. ....which has become an off line invitation only clique. With no posted TSBA activities or SMR's or stability of meeting place and time, the chapter does not exist and can not attract new membership.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin View Post

Second Darren for pres.

Nominate Bender for skirt/bean counter.

....speaking of senior members.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by fairing lurker View Post
    I have one Neh for merging Dallas and Ft Worth.
    neh.

Votes are best done by poll and can be made private to the chapter.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

The Fort Worth chapter is up to 26 members, but it might be a very different story in January when it's time to collect dues. FTW has enjoyed an average of 16 people at each monthly meeting, but it seems to be trickling down. With the lack of organized events posted on the forum, I feel that we are currently leaning more towards a social club. This is not my preference, but I enjoy it anyway. It's the one evening every month that I can count on doing something different.

Life in general has really affected our membership. There are only a couple of us that will ever post a ride. I can only assume that everyone is still riding, at least I am...some. I just never know when I can go until it happens. I would like to see a lot more organized rides, but I am to blame as much as the next person for the lack of activity.

I think the lack of posts in the Dallas section keeps potential members from looking into the club. The mediocre activity we have in FTW certainly doesn't help us. We've had quite a few people visit the club this year that never came back. The biggest complaint is that they were looking for a group that rides more. I still need to reply to a potential member that is asking about some of the other clubs in DFW.....

I'm not really sure why things are the way they are. It's seems like everything is generally depressed. I have been trying to spend some money on the members for the last couple of months, but I can't get anyone to bite. I'm trying to get a holiday party organized, but I haven't seen/heard any real interest from anyone. Every month I ask for feedback on how we can improve the club and make it more enjoyable. I'm told they like it the way it is, so I guess we'll keep putting along.

FTW has 2 officers that do almost everything. I expect that we will eliminate a couple of positions.
    Chris
    2008 Buell XB12X Ulysses
    2004 KTM 450 MXC
    1996 Bimota SB6
    1988 Honda Hurricane 1000
    1974 Norton Commando 850

Email tsba.ftw@gmail.com to inquire about the Fort Worth Chapter of TSBA.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tsbaftw/Home

Sounds like it's time to merge all the chapters into one "Texas chapter". All the cool kids left a long time ago from the now defunct "Dallas chapter" and the old girl has been on life support with no real hope of coming out of the coma. Pull the plug and give her some dignity as she passes.

Thanks Marc, Ben.

PS: Trackday participation seems to be getting more popular. Seems lots of people who would otherwise be joining street riding groups are now doing track riding. It's not really economy that's drawing people away.

Quote Originally Posted by CBar View Post
    The Fort Worth chapter is up to 26 members, but it might be a very different story in January when it's time to collect dues. FTW has enjoyed an average of 16 people at each monthly meeting, but it seems to be trickling down. With the lack of organized events posted on the forum, I feel that we are currently leaning more towards a social club. This is not my preference, but I enjoy it anyway. It's the one evening every month that I can count on doing something different.

Life in general has really affected our membership. There are only a couple of us that will ever post a ride. I can only assume that everyone is still riding, at least I am...some. I just never know when I can go until it happens. I would like to see a lot more organized rides, but I am to blame as much as the next person for the lack of activity.

I think the lack of posts in the Dallas section keeps potential members from looking into the club. The mediocre activity we have in FTW certainly doesn't help us. We've had quite a few people visit the club this year that never came back. The biggest complaint is that they were looking for a group that rides more. I still need to reply to a potential member that is asking about some of the other clubs in DFW.....

I'm not really sure why things are the way they are. It's seems like everything is generally depressed. I have been trying to spend some money on the members for the last couple of months, but I can't get anyone to bite. I'm trying to get a holiday party organized, but I haven't seen/heard any real interest from anyone. Every month I ask for feedback on how we can improve the club and make it more enjoyable. I'm told they like it the way it is, so I guess we'll keep putting along.

FTW has 2 officers that do almost everything. I expect that we will eliminate a couple of positions.
    First I think merging the groups may be a bad idea. People aren't showing up to meetings now, why would they show up to one even farther away?

I think the issues with rides, well in Fort Worth anyway is. When I joined the club we had a couple of rides. Some of the old members would show, and then it started to be only a couple of the new members that would show up for rides.

I prefer the track, if I end up being the only guy there then so what? There are a ton of others there riding, I will find a friend. On the street it sucks when you post a ride and one person or know one shows up. Kinda takes the wind out of you.

All of this is said if you take my personal business that has been going on in the last year. I always show up to a meeting or ride when I can.
    "If you have to sign a wavier, it is probably worth doing."

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

You can find the answers to Dallas' downfall in the Officer's Forum archive, but simply put...when you take the fun out of it, why bother? I did an average of 2 SMRs a month this year (not inc. day trips to Arkansas), but it was with non-members and I no longer feel the need or responsibility to lead a weekly SMR as I did in the past...Nay to merging the chapters. It took a lot of sweat for them to separate and they deserve the fruits of their labor. Good job, guys!
    Bill "as mentioned in the DMN!"

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Need some info on the Dallas TSBA? Contact someone else

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bvia View Post
    I did an average of 2 SMRs a month this year (not inc. day trips to Arkansas), but it was with non-members
    you don't count riding with me b/c my sit up bike smoked that Gixxer racer thing?
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

It was a bracket race and you "broke out"...;-)
    Bill "as mentioned in the DMN!"

'07 GSX-R 750

exVP TSBA Dallas

Need some info on the Dallas TSBA? Contact someone else

The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted time on earth, the hours he spends riding a motorcycle.

"...compared to two GSXR guys, where one stands up, yells "yee-haw!", and tosses the other guy into a tree." Rob