Thread: Carb question

Cool Carb question

We are cleaning the carbs on an F2 and everything appears very clean but I have two questions...

1) In this pic do either of the circled items come out? I didn't want to force them but the manual makes it look like they do.
    2) In the top one (with the hole in it) when blowing air through it only one has air coming out. But I'm not sure where it is coming out. I pushed a plastic spray nozzle into the opening but it will only go in about an 1/8" so I can't tell what may be clogging it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

p.s. I did take all 4 apart at the same time but I did keep the parts for each one separate and labeled.
    Scott
    Yellow/Black 2002 F4i

Growing old is inevitable
    Growing up is optional

On my f3 Carbs those did not come out. I know that is not much help. The best thing is to get some guitar string and run it through there to dislodge the gunk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Bye Little Ninja...Hello CBR

Kevin B.

I've never removed those. The most common "hot spot" is on the idle circuit. You'll need the special "D" wrench to back out the adjuster screw and you should find some blue/green funk that needs to be removed. (note; turn screw in until it stops while counting the turns so you can return the screw to the same setting upon installation)

The "D" wrench is commonly provided in jet kits so if you dont have one it shouldnt be hard to find. You can purchase fancy ones from most M/C accy stores as well. I loaned mine out years ago and it never found its way home.
    Justin R (member # 2296)
    Subsiste Sermonem Statim

Thanks for the input!

I didn't think they would come out since the manual didn't show it but you never know.

Kevin - I did try to run a small paperclip thrugh it was well but it is clogged up. I also soaked the assembly in Berryman's cleaner for about 30 mins but it wouldn't break it loose.

Justin - Everything else has been removed and soaked. I was able to get the D shaped screws out and they weren't too bad. But now it seems the only spot that has any gunk in it is the top red circle.

We actually cleaned the carbs a while back but it never seemed to want to idle right. We though it was clean but after opening it up this time there was a lot of the green slime inside it again. We broke it down a lot further this time. I am also going to replace the fuel line(s) and find a good cleaner for the gas tank and make sure there is nothing in it as well.
    Scott
    Yellow/Black 2002 F4i

Growing up is optional

That "upper circle" part has an hole that follows that hump to the top right then straight up. Unless you are using something very flexible it will not follow the path. If you can blow air throw it, it is not clogged.
    Bryan B.
    2009 - 2012 San Antonio Chapter President
    Email Me.

04' ZX12R (Gone was a nice ride)
    11' ZX10R (OMG )

Only one allows air through. I will find a syringe and squirt some cleaner into the hole and let it soak for a couple of hours. Hopefully that will open the three that are clogged.

Thanks Bryan!
    Scott
    Yellow/Black 2002 F4i

Growing up is optional

The post in the top circle is your choke jet and will not accept a paper clip. I use jet cleaners from J&L. If you don't have them, strip a 10 gauge wire and take a copper strand from it and use it. Should have and air passage at the front of the carb also. Both air passage and the post in the top circle should make fluid come out where you removed the choke plunger.
    Both your main circuit and your pilot circuit should also have air passages in the same place and are overlooked all the time. They all need to flow.
    The post in the bottom circle is unused. And neither are removable.
    Any more questions let me know.
    Josh F.

if you have it, guitar string.
    Justin R (member # 2296)
    Subsiste Sermonem Statim

I have made a couple of changes to the photo.
    The blue lines come down from the tube. One goes to the front of the carbs and one to the side. Each has a ball (lind of like a check valve) that is just like the one in the green circle. They do not move, kind of pressed in.
    The pink arrow is a machined hole in the side of the tube. This is where the air is coming from on the one.
    I don't know if this info will make any difference.
    Thanks for the help so far!
    Scott
    Yellow/Black 2002 F4i

Growing up is optional

Scott an FYI Josh (motofreak) is a Mechanic for a dealership here in SA.
    Bryan B.
    2009 - 2012 San Antonio Chapter President
    Email Me.

04' ZX12R (Gone was a nice ride)
    11' ZX10R (OMG )

The brass post in the bottom circle is the same as the balls in the other circles. All plugs from machining. Passages can only be machined in a straight line. All are plugs from machining. The only actual circuit you have there is the choke circuit in the top circle. If you have air coming out of one of the plugs its leaking vacume and you just found an issue.
    Josh F.

Use carb cleaner on a straw and spray in the hole to check passages. This works the best for me. Pm me if you need more help. Is be more than happy to come take a look this weekend if you need.
    Josh F.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOFREAK View Post
    If you have air coming out of one of the plugs its leaking vacume and you just found an issue.
    There is definately no air coming out of any of the ball/blocked passages. Just out of teh one port where I have the pink arrow.

I'll try the small wire and spray of carb cleaner tonight and let you know how it goes.

I appreciate the offer for the trip up - should be good weather for a ride. I will let you know on that.
    Scott
    Yellow/Black 2002 F4i

Growing up is optional

Finally!!! All the passages are clear. I took a few drops of the cleaner last night an put it in each of the plugged tubes. Then the same this morning. Came home tonight and used some spray cleaner pointed into each of them then the copper wire. After that I rinsed it all out and used the compressor to blow air through everything to get all the cleaner and water out.

Now to get a set of the small o-rings that go in the hole with the pilot screw.

Thanks for all the help!
    Scott
    Yellow/Black 2002 F4i

Growing up is optional

I've actually boiled carbs to remove gunk and clogged ports...a trick I learned from my dad. Works like a champ!
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

Nice, ride on bro.
    Josh F.

You bet ,I remember being 5 years old and my Dad boiling a carb on the Stove while smoking a Camel cig.
    [SIGPIC]