Thread: Tire prices going down?

Exclamation Tire prices going down?

Somehow I got 3700 miles out of the rear Q2. that's weird.
    Georgetown Honda (Powersports) asking $150 rear (190/50), $105 front (120/70). that's weirder.
    Not bad.

http://www.ctpowersports.com/

Wooo. It's raining at Lake Travis. That's weird #3.
    Red cbr

Do not buy q2 fronts. I have several brand new ones I will never use. Contact me if interested.
    Keith

Usually find the Q2 deals online for 200$ a set for a 180/55.
    "If you have to sign a wavier, it is probably worth doing."

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    Do not buy q2 fronts. I have several brand new ones I will never use. Contact me if interested.
    How old are they? Price
    Red cbr

More like dealers are trying to move product so are discounting more. Markup on tires is stunning.
    Kent Cook
    Lone Star Track Days
    BMW R1200RS
    Honda CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by KOCook View Post
    More like dealers are trying to move product so are discounting more. Markup on tires is stunning.

Stunning? Stunningly low markup you mean? Or stunning if any dealer would ask list price?

The tire game amazes me. MSRP is *NEVER* even close to real world market price on motorcycle tires. So in that sense, yes, markup would be stunning if a dealer was asking full MSRP. But that doesn't happen too often. Tires are *ALWAYS* on discount to dealers. But tires are *ALWAYS* on discount *EVEN MORE* to consumers. So, to be even remotely in the ballpark of competitive to real world pricing, markup has to be stunningly low. It's so low in fact, I don't even really do tires except for good customers who basically just want me to pass them through. I take my discounted dealer cost, mark it up just enough to cover some basic costs of procuring them and selling them (far below what would be considered acceptable margin to keep the lights on if that was all we were selling), and I still end up selling them at about average internet pricing. Even moderately shrewd internet shoppers can still beat that pricing a lot of times (especially considering the sales tax inequality). And that's with me virtually just passing it through. Now, there are those dealers who simply refuse to be even close to competitive and simply stick it to every uninformed customer who walks through the door (there are certainly more than a few of those around). Those are the ones where you see posts about "Dealership X" wanted $440 for a set of xxxx's, but I see them online everywhere for $219-$239 a pair!" But many dealers figure tires net only a small margin, and they try to make money on the service/installation side of things. The companies making money on tires are the tire specialty retailers who buy them by the container load direct from the manufacturer. Any dealer buying them a handful at a time is either making next to nothing on them or has to charge well above the going market rate at the risk of driving customers off but in the hopes of landing the ones who just NEED it TODAY.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

Nathan is correct, tires are like a way to get you in the door. If the price is competitive with everyone else then they are not making anything on them.
    "If you have to sign a wavier, it is probably worth doing."

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

Quote Originally Posted by CBR Dave View Post
    How old are they? Price
    Aprox 1 year old never mounted garage kept. 50.00 each.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    Aprox 1 year old never mounted garage kept. 50.00 each.
    You got any with knobbies?
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

This should be the Thread we all share what dealers and sites we see best prices! Call it the SLICKTIREDEALS thread.. WOOHOO!!!! Regulators mount up!
    Schreck