Thread: True waterproof gloves

Question True waterproof gloves

I am looking for some waterproof gloves. Does anyone know of a pair that is truly waterproof?
    Oh, and most importantly, not heavily insulated. I have a pair of Olympia that work well but are way too thick.
    I am not talking light rain, but heavy rain like I got caught in Friday. My gloves were soaked within 2 minutes (BILT brand) I returned them today but no dealer (that I checked) seems to stock rain gloves without heavy insulation. Could not make it by Nathan's Moto Liberty yet.
    Online are only bad reviews.....trying not to spend mega bucks if possible.
    Black rubbermaid gloves are my only option at this point.
    Please post if you truly have experience in this matter, not just opinion.
    Thanks
    Mark
    VFR1200F

Wish I had a good option for you. Waterproof gloves typically equal winter gloves from many manufacturers. We have some Olympias that are non-insulated and waterproof, but I don't know that I'd go out on a limb of calling them 100% heavy rain waterproof. Maybe Alpinestars ST-1 Drystar gloves? Waterproof, and probably closer to 100% waterproof than the Olympias, and inexpensive at $39.95, but not a lot of protection. Taichi has some excellent Drymaster products, but we don't have much in stock at the moment in their waterproof line, and you start getting close to the $100 range very quickly. Do you like short or long in a waterproof/non-winter? Winter, most people want long gauntlet for air-sealing ability over top of the jacket cuff. But interestingly enough, for waterproof, sometimes short cuff makes more sense if your jacket seals well. It keeps water running down your arm from entering the cuff of the glove when you wear the jacket sleeve outside a short cuff glove. I'll look tomorrow to see if there is something suitable. Otherwise, the better waterproof options from Held and RevIt get expensive. Worth it to be dry, but how much wet weather riding you do determines the investment wisdom.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

Oh yeah, this is the Taichi glove that would work:

http://www.taichimoto.com/rs-taichi-...-carbon-glove/

Don't usually stock them, but could get a pair down for you easy enough.
    Nathan
    2001 Ducati 996

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not." - Epictetus

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London

Vee4Rider is offline Have Bike, Will Travel. Wire Vee4Rider, Little Elm.

I'll second Nathan's tip for wearing your jacket sleeves over your gloves. No glove is waterproof if you don't....
    Hank Meyers - KLR650, RC46
    WHEN SECONDS COUNT, THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY!!!
    "You don't have to stick your head up a bull's a$$ to look at a T-bone steak, just visit a butcher's shop."
    "Now, don't do that again or we'll make you stand in the corner of your garage all day & look at wrecked motorcycle scraps!" - Hank Meyers
    -------
    TSBA,MSTA,IBA,AMA,NRA,TSRA

I was not able to get by yesterday but I will make it by today NathanThanks for looking into these.I do prefer short gloves, my jacket seals well.
    Mark
    VFR1200F

I use rain proof glove covers, when I know I'll be out in the rain.
    http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...it-covers.html
    Darren Baldwin

I bought the RS Taichi RST 354 Dry Master @ Moto Liberty today.
    I will post a review after the next rain storm I encounter.
    Thanks for the great deal Nathan
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    Mark
    VFR1200F

Like you Mark, the one pair I have that are rain gloves are also winter gloves. And they aren't completely water proof. If caught in heavy rain for a length of time they will eventually get wet (but not soaking) on the inside.

The Helds I wear are made to hold up in light rain for a short while. I bought some Joe Rocket's that are similar to those Tiachi's, they have a "Dry Tech" membrane in them, but I found that they made my hand sweat and therefore weren't comfortable for long.

I decided for warmer weather protection to go the route Darren took and now have the over gloves from Aerostitch. IMO, that's probably the best route to take.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by Vee4Rider View Post
    I'll second Nathan's tip for wearing your jacket sleeves over your gloves. No glove is waterproof if you don't....
    Hank is alive.
    Brad Felmey

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
    Hank is alive.
    That's what I was thinkin'!!!
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

Vee4Rider is offline Have Bike, Will Travel. Wire Vee4Rider, Little Elm.

Hank Meyers - KLR650, RC46
    WHEN SECONDS COUNT, THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY!!!
    "You don't have to stick your head up a bull's a$$ to look at a T-bone steak, just visit a butcher's shop."
    "Now, don't do that again or we'll make you stand in the corner of your garage all day & look at wrecked motorcycle scraps!" - Hank Meyers
    -------
    TSBA,MSTA,IBA,AMA,NRA,TSRA

Exclamation Review

The RS Tachi gloves were finally put to the test this week. I had several rides this week in light rain and my hands stayed dry 100%

Today I rode into town in a little heavier rain and was curious to see how they did.
    After about 35 miles each way in rain, the gloves kept my hands completely dry.
    No leaks anywhere. As far as getting sweaty, I did not notice them being too hot, but then it is not 100 degrees either while it is raining.
    Only thing I noticed, and this goes for all that I have tried, once your hands are wet, it is hard to put the gloves back on. At least on these gloves, the lining does not pull out all that bad.
    They are also just thin enough to be able to "feel" what you are doing.

I am happy with these gloves and I would give them a 9 out of 10. Good value for the price.
    Mark
    VFR1200F

Meow.

1) I don't ride in the rain...it gets my bike dirty.
    2) Austinites can't drive when the streets are dry...let alone wet.
    3) If I do get caught in the rain, I'm usually so pizzed off that my hands being wet are the least of my worries.

But I know you are a trooper...Thanks for the good review and good info Mark.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook