View Poll Results: Which smartphone would you buy?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone 5

3 27.27%
  • Galaxy S III

7 63.64%
  • Other phones (HTC, Windows phone, other Samsung models etc.)

0 0%
  • You guys are being misled, Crackberry rules!

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S III or iPhone 5?

Default Galaxy S III or iPhone 5?

I've been using an iPhone for about 4 years now. Started with the 3G and now have the 4. Overall I've really liked the phones and they pretty much do what I need. Battery life hasn't been great though. By the end of the day, it's usually down close to (if not below) 20% battery life left. The new iPhone 5 looks appealing but the Samsung Galaxy S III looks sweet as well. I have a few apps I've bought over time but not excessive. One initial selling point about the Galaxy was the ease of rooting it and being able to use it as a tether or mobile hot spot. I sync with Outlook for my contacts & calendar which the iPhone does fairly well (although MobileMe was flawless imho when it first came out, the iCloud has some issues especially dealing with contacts ). Since it looks like I'll change my unlimited data plan to a 4 gig family plan (adding my folks onto my plan), it comes with tethering & mobile hot spot services. I've been leery of dropping the grandfathered unlimited in the past but I've only used over 1 gig a few times so realistically it's not a big issue.

I'll probably stick with Apple and the new iPhone 5 but would like to hear what you guys think. After this, we'll discuss which tires, oil, & chain lube you prefer.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

One advantage for the Galaxy is the battery is replaceable. Buying a spare battery is about $30. Mophie makes a cool battery pack/protector case for the iPhone but it's close to or above $100 depending upon model.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

A quick question for any of you droid users. Do you sync contacts & calendar with Outlook and if so, what do you use? From what I've learned so far, the calendar is fairly easy using Google apps but the contacts not so much. Thanks

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Work provides my Droid and pays for the unlimited plan so I have no complaints. Actually, I do like the Droid a lot. Never had an Iphone so I can't compare, but I will say that the Droid does everything I ask and more.
    I use Active Sync to sync my mail and calendars...works fine. We used to use Outlook, but aren't right now...we'll be going back soon. When we did use Outlook, my recollection is that it worked fine.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PL View Post
    Work provides my Droid and pays for the unlimited plan so I have no complaints. Actually, I do like the Droid a lot. Never had an Iphone so I can't compare, but I will say that the Droid does everything I ask and more.
    I use Active Sync to sync my mail and calendars...works fine. We used to use Outlook, but aren't right now...we'll be going back soon. When we did use Outlook, my recollection is that it worked fine.
    Thats funny because you have used my iPhone to call Liz out in the hill country.

I have an iPhone and a Droid (work phone) the Droid sucks! Period! Get the iPhone.
    Bryan B.
    2009 - 2012 San Antonio Chapter President
    Email Me.

04' ZX12R (Gone was a nice ride)
    11' ZX10R (OMG )

After using many friends iPhones.... I just don't like them. Small screens, relatively slow, limited multitasking (new ones do it finally), and iTunes just s*cks.

Only time I've seen issue with Android is on old slow phones....of course battery life is so, so... but that's most all "smart phones" these days. The ability to swap batteries is another big plus, as is the built in synch'ing capabilities. Use the crap out of the real-time synch'ing of the data. All my desktop/laptops have immediate access to the same thing my phone and Google Apps on the web have.
    Mike N - Blog
    '07 CBR 600RR | '03 VTX1300 | '01 DRZ-400E SM (parting out)

NovoWorks Color Imaging | SoapFX Professional Hand Cleaner

I've been using iPhones since the original, wife has a 3G, and I just got rid of my 4 and replaced it with a Galaxy S3..... best decision I've ever made.

I finally got completely fed up with all the BS problems that I've had with my iPhone... especially their hostility to Google products which I use a lot of (I never drank the crapple koolaid). I also like that the Android OS is open and free so I can create my own apps without having to buy an Apple laptop and then pay for the development environment like you would with the iPhone. The person in the store turned the phone on and had me put in my google L/P and within minutes ALL of my email, contacts, pictures, etc were already on the phone. Took me forever to get my iPhone to sync with google stuff and it never did fully work right.

The battery on my S3 seems to drain faster than my iPhone 4 did but I'm on the phone all day and using the 4G network instead of the 3G which I'm sure has a lot to do with it..... that and I turned off all of the power saving features. I've ran into some problems but so far all have been user errors/growing pains learning to use a different smart phone after using the same platform for the last 4 or 5 years.

Power plug on the phone is a micro-usb instead of the BS proprietary Apple cable which is changing to a new proprietary Apple cable in the iPhone 5.... so all those cables and devices that work with your iPhone 2, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S.... yep you guessed it, now you'll have to buy an adapter to make them work with the iPhone5.

As far as the apps go pretty much all of your big name apps are available and work well on the S3, I think some even work better and have more features then their iPhone versions. I've found the podcast apps to be a little lacking but I've finally settled on one called Pocket Casts which is working pretty well, few quirks but not bad. Web browsing works better on the S3 because the browsers are more compliant. Also the S3 has a larger screen which makes viewing easier.

Over all I've had a bit of a learning curve moving to the S3 which is to be expected but nothing major. I've not looked back since tossing out my iPhone. Google is supposed to be releasing the new Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS for the S3 sometime in October. The updated OS features on the S3 should just make it that much better.

As long as you don't mind spending some time getting used to a slightly different interface and tweaking the phone to your likes then I'd say hands down go throw your iPhones in the lake and pick up an S3.
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

2009-2011 - Austin Chapter Admin
    2007-2008 - Austin Chapter President
    2005-2006 - Austin Chapter Secretary

I went from iPhone to S3. There's some interface consistency issues to get used to but the overall experience is a big step up.
    Brad Felmey
    2001 Honda GL1800A GoldWing ABS
    1981 Kawasaki KZ440A2 LTD 440
    2014 Honda CB500F
    1991 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU Ultra Classic

"If you have to sign a wavier, it is probably worth doing."

CMRA #728

Brandon
    2006 GSXR600 Trackbike
    2007 Aprilia SR50
    1964 Vespa ET3 motorswap

I have a Galaxy S3 and really like it. Before it I had the original Galaxy and I got addicted to the Samsung Swype, its so fast and intuitive that you can easily do entire words instead of using text slang. Plus the battery life is much improved and you can replace the battery. I highly recommend.
    Pete

They all suck equally for different reasons. I really like the S3 and would be tempted to get one if I had to buy a personal device. I haven't gotten to spend any real qulity time with the S3 yet though and my user base tends to lean towards crackberries and iPhones. Mostly b/c the droids were slow to natively support the Exchange security policies. People that like to tweek things will always be biased to droids. Those that want to just turn it on and play tend to go Crack/Apple/Windows (in that order for us). My iPhone 5 was orderred with a batch for the company I support. Won't take log to tell you how it actually works. My users tend to be full of feedback (and other stinky stuff).
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Thats funny because you have used my iPhone to call Liz out in the hill country.
    How do you know I called Liz?
    Just kidding!
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

Just bought a Galaxy S3 for work few weeks ago.

Didn't want to wait for I-phone 5. Reasons I bought it over Iphone 4S: big display (I guess I-phone 5 has that); mini USB connection, no need to connect to i-tunes, expandable memory slot, easy attachnment of files to e-mails, easy to connect to pc and just drop stuff in there, no comittment (I can swap the phone whenever I want on my work plan - even after a month, with I-phone, I needed 2 year comittment).

Battery life on S3 sucks balls compared to my old Crackberry though. It will last through the day, but I need to charge it daily. I guess it would be the same for I-phone.
    Last edited by Oskar_Z28; September 25th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Oskar Kudla
    My Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/kudlao

After living with the iPhone5 for a few days my first impresssions are it is noticably lighter and faster than the iPhone 4S. The display is better and I like a few of the features (iOS6 available to older iPhones also). The larger display is a gimic IMO. It's basically one row of apps taller and not wider at all. I'd rather it had been wider also or just leave it it's previous size. It's thinner by the depth of one side of glass. Overall I like it, but hoping I'm issued an S3 soon to kick around as the larger screen will make it easier to handle side of the road support in a pinch w/o carrying the iPad or XPS13 (assume laptop! MacBook Air can suck it! )
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Thanks all for the ideas and feedback. Tomorrow I go over to the "Dark Side" and pick up the GS3. I'm looking forward to playing around with it and using the LTE in town. I know LTE will drain the battery down even faster but it sure smokes compared to 3G. I have to take a quick crash course on it so I can teach my dad how to use his (he's getting one tomorrow too).

I'll wait until I decide to keep it before buying a few apps I use. Logmein Ignition should be nice on the larger screen.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

I picked up my GS3 Thursday and have had time to kick it around a little. After getting a few key apps/utilities, I really like it so far. I've had to retrain my iThumb and learn where stuff is but not bad so far.

Here's what I've found so far. If you have some other tips & tricks please post up.

1. Didn't like the old voice mail system, the iPhone really had me spoiled. I added Google Voice so now I'm good to go. I haven't really used it much but I think it'll be fine.

2. Battery life was pretty poor although I've been on it a lot and my iPhone would have probably gone down almost as fast. Juice Defender is installed and I'm testing it now. I wanted to get a decent baseline idea before I enabled it. I'll get the better version later.

3. The Samsung keyboard was ok but didn't predict very well. SwiftKey is what I needed. That's $.99 I'll spend on an app.

That's the short review right now. I'll post up later with what else I find but so far, I'm a happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post

1. Didn't like the old voice mail system, the iPhone really had me spoiled. I added Google Voice so now I'm good to go. I haven't really used it much but I think it'll be fine.
    No visual voice mail w/o an added ap?

2. Battery life was pretty poor
    the iPhone 5 barely makes it through a day. But it probably rings w/ vibrate and flash at least 30-50 times a day. Along with Cisco Jabber running that allows me to answer my desk phone number and visual mail. If I get out of wifi range it continuously tries to connect. So I'm very battery hoggish. Still the iPhone 4s would last quite a few hours longer.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Swiftkey is definitely an improvement that I also don't regret paying for.

I haven't messed with VM, although I agree that the iPhone is far and away better at it.
    Brad Felmey
    2001 Honda GL1800A GoldWing ABS
    1981 Kawasaki KZ440A2 LTD 440
    2014 Honda CB500F
    1991 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU Ultra Classic

Nope, no visual voice mail but Google Voice works well. Jelly Bean will be out soon for it so maybe it'll be one of the goodies built-in.

Yesterday I had to put it on the charger after 9 hours but I was on it almost all day playing around with this and that. Today I was on LTE a lot and had to recharge after 6 hours or so. Juice Defender shuts off LTE when on wifi as well as most of a hour cycle when the screen is off. LTE smokes but does use the battery pretty heavily. The basic Juice Defender is free so that app is a no-brainer imho.

One thing puzzles me. When I receive a pic in a text message, if it is only one pic with no text, I cannot save it to the phone. I can make it wallpaper on the home or lock screen or assign it to a contact but not save it. If it has text or multiple pics, I can save it in the gallery.

Speaking of gallery, I synced my photos using Kies. Instead of folders organizing my pics, they are all in one big pile. Not very user friendly when I have over 3k worth of photos. Is there a better solution for photos?

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Just ran across Android Sync Manager Wifi. I'm trying it to synch Outlook contacts instead of using Google Mail. It's not automatic but does seem to work well. With Google Mail, I was getting a Google listing as well as a phone listing. They were combined but making things a little goofy.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

My phone synced my contacts from my old crackberry. I don't know how. Maybe via exchange server....They mysteriously appeared on there. I need to do something about the power management. While the LTE smokes, it drains the juice fast. However a coworker got an Iphone 5 and he has the same issue.

Oskar Kudla
    My Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/kudlao

I've had mine for a couple months now and really like it. Mine came originally set up with a long duration of keeping the screen on and when I changed it to a couple seconds it increased my battery life tremendously. My only disappointment is they announced the S4 is coming out in March!
    Pete

After a 3 week review, I've found some things I really like about the GS3 and Android os as well as some things about the iPhone I miss. It would have been the same if I had gone the other way around I imagine. I still use my iPhone 4 for a mileage tracking app and every time I fire it up, it feels like a small pocket phone.

Michael, how is the battery life on the iPhone 5? That's one area where I'm not liking the GS3. Even running Juice Defender I'm barely (if at all) making it to the end of the day. My boss got the iPhone 5 and he hasn't drained it down in a day yet with average use. Like me, he's been using an iPhone for 4 years so we both have a pretty good idea of how it lasts through the day. I can get a larger battery but I've got about a week left to decide if I want to keep it. I mostly want to keep the GS3 but still hop back up on the fence every now and then.

Thanks again for all the input guys.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    Michael, how is the battery life on the iPhone 5?.
    On a busy day, it barely makes it from off the charger at 6a until I get home at around 7. Now this weekend I left my one charging cable at work. Luckily I had just charged it before leaving work. I killed all the apps that didn't need to run and only had a few texts and used the iPad to check emails and maybe 2 calls. It made it through the weekend. If apps and usage are managed it'll last. But dies under heavy use. Understand that I am running Cisco Jabber at work which makes my iPhone an IP phone on the wireless network at work. So it's constantly talking both WiFi and cellular.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Now that the "newness" of the GS3 has worn off a bit for me and I'm not constantly on it tinkering the battery is lasting much longer for me.

When I first got it the GS3 would barely make it home at the end of the day before it died and I'd need to charge it. Now that I use it more like I did my iPhone, I've learned the tricks to not drain the battery, tamed down the email checking, power saving features, and making sure that apps are truly off and not just running in the background like I'd have to do with the iPhone my GS3 usually has anywhere from 40-70% battery left when I go home.

I'd say stick with it, the battery does drain a bit faster with the GS3 than it did on my iPhone 4 but the screen is much larger and has a much more powerful processor. The iPhone 5 also has a larger screen and more powerful processor than did the 4 so I think battery life would be comparable to GS3. Current iPhone users transitioning to the 5 have less of a "newness" factor to them and are likely to not being on them as much tinkering and have less of a learning curve to figuring out the power saving......

mi dos centavos
    Richard

'10 Tiger 1050
    '04 SV650 (sold)

2009-2011 - Austin Chapter Admin
    2007-2008 - Austin Chapter President
    2005-2006 - Austin Chapter Secretary