Thread: Ford Motor Company tests AMSOIL. Gains 6.54% more mpg.

Default Ford Motor Company tests AMSOIL. Gains 6.54% more mpg.

Tim Vipond
    2006 K1200LT with 70,000 AMSOIL (changed yearly) road miles, 3 AMSOIL MSRH laps
    AMSOIL Dealer
    http://www.lubedealer.com/TimVipond/ cell 713-301-1872 25% discounts available.

cool, another win for synthetic oil. if available, how about the link to the full report.

and looking at your signature, maybe i change mine to include,
    "2002 R1 with ~32k amsoil (changed yearly) track miles, 1 hill country ride"
    Last edited by davidb; November 16th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    DavidB
    When I bite into a York peppermint pattie, it's like turn 1 at TWS.

Tim Vipond
    AMSOIL Dealer

Ninja Master 10R is offline AKA "The TicketMaster" I look better on video...

I've know that for years. Every truck we get for the fleet we run on regular for it's first 3K miles and get a good average on the mileage, then switch to Amsoil. On average we get 1 - 1.5 MPG better with the amsoil. And on my 1992 H1 Hummer, i got a whopping 3.25 MPG, got me up to almost 9 MPG on that thing. 1.5 MPG improvement doesn't sound so good? That's about $600/yer/truck for us, and i've got 15 trucks. More that pays for slight price difference.
    Kasey Lewis
    2011 RGV Chapter Vice President
    Cell: 956-227-5765
    kasey.lewis@valleyarmature.com

"I did it because i could, not because i thought it was smart!"

CMRA #272 Novice
    2008 ZX-10R Jack Daniels Bike

2001 GSXR600 Coca-Cola Bike
    2002 GSXR600 VAE/Amsoil Race Bike

I can get you free wholesale prices if you like.
    Tim Vipond
    AMSOIL Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
    I can get you free wholesale prices if you like.
    I'm a dealer too! I just don't sell much. But my motorcycle sales seem to have gone waaaaay up lol.
    Kasey Lewis

CMRA #272 Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Master 10R View Post
    I'm a dealer too! I just don't sell much. But my motorcycle sales seem to have gone waaaaay up lol.
    Mine too. I sell over $100,000 of AMSOIL motorcycle oil a year.
    Tim Vipond
    AMSOIL Dealer

Study done by AMSOIL for AMSOIL. Comparing synthetic oil to conventional oil is like t-bone and chop steak.
    Ernest Brown
    05 zx10
    cell 956-929-2420

Study done by AMSOIL for AMSOIL
    Ernest Brown
    05 zx10
    cell 956-929-2420

Quote Originally Posted by i2fast4u View Post
    Study done by AMSOIL for AMSOIL.
    Actually, the study was done by Ford Motor Company for Ford Motor Company. Ford wanted to use a better oil than their own Motorcraft oil and their current Chevron's Texaco oil. Ford chose to test AMSOIL and AMSOIL published Ford's test results.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2fast4u View Post
    Comparing synthetic oil to conventional oil is like t-bone and chop steak.
    Agree. Can't figure out why anyone uses conventional oil these days.
    Last edited by Tim Vipond; November 21st, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Tim Vipond
    AMSOIL Dealer

Can't figure out why anyone uses conventional oil these days.
    a bit off topic, but since you asked a question that was weighing on me... I wanted all synthetic as I was changing all the oils in my (new to me) Jeep (thanks for the quotes...the mech sourced the oils for me this round). He put Amsoil in all the appropriate holes expect the diffs. He said that diffs frequently get contaminated with water and that the water mixes better with dino oil and still lubes the gears, where synthetic floats on the water leaving the gears in a water bath. Does this float with your knowledge?
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Water does tend to emulsify better with conventional oils compared to chemical synthetics. However, more and more differentials are being factory filled with synthetics. If you are truly concerned about water not mixing with synthetic oil, AMSOIL does formulate a Marine Gear Oil designed to work in harmony with 10% water with no loss of film strength or foaming. If you suspect water in your gear oil, with AMSOIL you can just open the differential drain and drain out the water. With a water suspended in conventional oil, it may not separate enough to do this. Conventional oil with water would foam and provide much less metal to metal and temperature protection. AMSOIL gear oil is also used in mud events and I have not heard of any problems. If you are getting water in, you are also likely getting dirt in as well. So if I suspected that, I would change it anyway.
    Last edited by Tim Vipond; November 22nd, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Tim Vipond
    AMSOIL Dealer

Water does tend to separate better with conventional oils compared to chemical synthetics. However, more and more differentials are being factory filled with synthetics. If you are truly concerned about water not mixing with synthetic oil, AMSOIL does formulate a Marine Gear Oil designed to work in harmony with 10% water. If you suspect water in your gear oil, with AMSOIL you can just open the differential drain and drain out the water. With a water suspended in conventional oil, it may not separate enough to do this. Conventional oil with water would foam and provide much less metal to metal and temperature protection. AMSOIL gear oil is also used in mud events and I have not heard of any problems.
    I ran Ams in the planetary gearboxes in my Hummer for 10 years, and they always had water/mud in them, but never had any gear wear. They were serviced per manual spec, and I'm sure that helped, but I wailed on that thing for 70000 miles and it looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it.
    Kasey Lewis

CMRA #272 Novice

So if I suspected that, I would change it anyway.
    The axels will be frequently submerged and fluid swapped each time. The way it was explained to me the seals are good at holding the oil in, but bad at keeping water out. The fluid in the front looked like gumbo when we dumped it (107k miles and had the original seal). Even with the contamination there was no visible gear wear. I was doing a gear change anyway and adding a locker. Thanks for the input. If the fluid looks ok after a few water crossings I'll give the marine gear oil a shot and change it less.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Take a look at the differential diagram in this report http://www.oilteksolutions.com/GearL...pdf?zo=1181889 and you will see an air vent at the top of the differential. I would guess this is where the water is getting in. You may be able to replace this vent with one that has a better membrane to allow air out and keep the water from going in. You might also have an oil sample analyzed to determine how much water and dirt you are getting in and how it is affecting the oil and gear wear. AMSOIL and other companies can do this.
    Tim Vipond
    AMSOIL Dealer

Take a look at the differential diagram in this report http://www.oilteksolutions.com/GearL...pdf?zo=1181889 and you will see an air vent at the top of the differential. I would guess this is where the water is getting in. You may be able to replace this vent with one that has a better membrane to allow air out and keep the water from going in. You might also have an oil sample analyzed to determine how much water and dirt you are getting in and how it is affecting the oil and gear wear. AMSOIL and other companies can do this.
    I have tubes run up under the hood for the vents. hadn't thought about having the gear oil analyzed. I do it with the motor oil for bikes and cars. Good idea. And I'll be reading the article. thanks again.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata